SLIGO Rovers opened up their pre-season campaign with a 4-0 defeat of Saint Catherine’s in Killybegs on Saturday last.
Manager Sean Connor used the friendly against the County Donegal club to give run-outs to a number of his close season signings, including Adam Hughes, Gavin Peers and Keith Foy.
Connor said: “Each player got at least 45 minutes and some came through the 90 minutes and it was a useful work-out. It is very early but we wanted to win, to play well and to come through the match without injuries and we managed this.
“The new players acquitted themselves well and we got a few goals, which is good.”
Yesterday [Monday] evening, Rovers took on Carnegie Premier Division side Lisburn Distillery in Belfast, with Connor expecting a tough game.
“Lisburn beat Portadown at the weekend and they are going well in the Irish League. We travelled without Conor O’Grady, Michael McNamara and Paul McTiernan, who will train in Sligo instead.”
Connor also revealed that the long-running transfer of Northern Ireland U-19 captain, Chris Turner, has still not been resolved but the Belfast native said he was extremely confident that the youngster would be linking up with his squad.
One player that definitely will be at Rovers next season however, is right-back Gavin Peers, who was welcomed to the club at a press conference in the Radisson hotel last Tuesday.
The 20-year-old former Republic of Ireland underage international came recommended to Connor from Birmingham City manager Steve Bruce and has signed a two-year contract at the club.
Connor said: “Gavin [Peers] is a player with the right credentials for this club. He is young and ambitious and he wants to succeed.”
Peers played over 20 games for Mansfield Town in the English Coca-Cola League Two having previously played at Blackburn Rovers.
Elsewhere, Connor has said that there remains the possibility of a Birmingham City player joining the club on loan but he will not make any move until he gets a clearer picture of the players at his disposal for the forthcoming season.
Connor said: “I won’t be bringing anyone over just to appease people, they have to be able to bring something to the squad. I am still in talks with a number of players and I will await the outcome of these talks before I start considering other players.”
Rovers’ next pre-season friendly will see them take on another Carnegie Premier League side, Newry City, at The Showgrounds in Newry on Saturday, with a 2pm kick-off.
Local fans will have their first opportunity to see Rovers in action this year when they face a St John’s XI on Saturday, February 18, at Cuilbeg in Carraroe, as part of the club’s 25th anniversary celebrations. The following Saturday, Rovers will host their only pre-season friendly at The Showgrounds when Galway United visit. On Friday, March 3, Sligo will travel to Donegal to face Finn Harps at Finn Park in Ballybofey. The fixtures for this season’s eircom League Premier Division will be announced on Monday next, February 13, while the transfer deadline is February 22.

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story.asp?j=26619