Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Great Soccer Debate

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley
    A full-time employee (and a high-profile one at that) of FAI has no business promoting this policy, unless it has been adopted by the association. If it has become official policy, what sense is there in a league merger with the FAI?
    FAI should clarify its position on this and if they don't the supporters' association should demand a statement.
    Agreed which makes the whole thing seem even murkier!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The only one there who openly opposed the idea was Bernard O'Byrne. I am fearful that people of his calibre are not in Merrion Square anymore
    Bloody hell, when you're saying that about the guy in charge of security the night we played England that's scarier than any story about a premiership team in Dublin!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    The only one there who openly opposed the idea was Bernard O'Byrne. I am fearful that people of his calibre are not in Merrion Square anymore
    You obviously have no knowledge of the **** he tried at Pats. He;s a greedy conmon and he shouldn't be allowed in football. FACT!
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    You obviously have no knowledge of the **** he tried at Pats. He;s a greedy conmon and he shouldn't be allowed in football. FACT!
    I was not referring to his financial machinations in either 80 Merrion Square or 125 Emmet Road, merely that he was the sole representative of the association whose raison d'etre is to promote football in the Republic of Ireland, to oppose the imposition of a Franchise team in Dublin to play in a foreign League, which would have destroyed all the EL clubs in the city and beyond!

And if he was the best person in Merrion Square in standing against this proposal.....
    Michael Hyland never came out against it.
    John Delaney never came out against it.
    Louis Kilcoyne never came out against it.

To name but three
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 26/02/2006 at 7:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Yes, but that doen't mean he should have a job in football. 1 good thing in a history of bad decisions and down right laziness shouldn't make you pine after him
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Michael Hyland never came out against it.
    John Delaney never came out against it.
    Louis Kilcoyne never came out against it.

That is scary actually ... the amount of influence these guys have on the game and they didn't utter a stutter ??
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    The NLSA does need to be more on top of things like this.
    In what way? It's an idea mentioned as a one-liner by someone without much influence. It's not as if the NLSA had any fore-warning about it. UEFA would never allow it, so it's highly unlikely to happen. I fail to see what the NLSA really could have done to stop King saying what he said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    p.s Noel King is a full-time paid employee of FAIreland... are you still not even a little concerned?
    Not in the slightest. The previous suggestion arose out of the bizarre situation of Wimbledon becoming a nomadic club and having a crazy owner. The club did indeed settle miles from its original hinterland. That was a bizarre one off anomaly. It's very silly to even react to such a comment. The person in question though an FAI employee does happen to be Noel King. Enough said surely?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    In what way? It's an idea mentioned as a one-liner by someone without much influence. It's not as if the NLSA had any fore-warning about it. UEFA would never allow it, so it's highly unlikely to happen. I fail to see what the NLSA really could have done to stop King saying what he said.
    I know the person who said it doesn't carry much weight, i was referring more towards the possiblity of it happening (or being debated)

Also when i said the NLSA, i should have said eircom League fans and through the NLSA, cos right now, the NLSA is the only way the fans will get their spoke in. The FAI/League reps of clubs does seem to work for fans, it was found out here that most fans dont know or have any access to this club rep, leaving the system redundant to a degree.

I'm not criticising the NLSA at all, if thats what you are thinking. I'm just saying that fans need to enable the NLSA to ensure issues like this are being dealt with. I know my first post wasn't very clear but this is what i actually meant, sorry about that.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    A Face, the bottom line, nothing is going on, nor will it ever if the last time this happened has taught us anything.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    I know the person who said it doesn't carry much weight, i was referring more towards the possiblity of it happening (or being debated)

Also when i said the NLSA, i should have said eircom League fans and through the NLSA, cos right now, the NLSA is the only way the fans will get their spoke in. The FAI/League reps of clubs does seem to work for fans, it was found out here that most fans dont know or have any access to this club rep, leaving the system redundant to a degree.

I'm not criticising the NLSA at all, if thats what you are thinking. I'm just saying that fans need to enable the NLSA to ensure issues like this are being dealt with. I know my first post wasn't very clear but this is what i actually meant, sorry about that.
    Cool. We'll bring it up at our next meeting. Though to be honest I can't see anything coming of it. There's plenty of objection, as the Wimbledon issue showed.

We hope to be able to communicate more with supporters - through the likes of match programmes - once the season gets underway, which will get things working much more smoothly. Any points can always be raised with the NLSA directly. Which I suppose is what you did there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't think that Noel Kings comment should be ignored. I think that clarification should be sought from the FAI over this matter and I think that it would be a good bone for the NLSA to run with.

Despite there apparently being a ruling on this type of arrangement through FIFA or UEFA, the debate being brought out into the public domain will be an ideal way of asserting NLSA in the greater public eye. Not only this but as somebody else mentioned earlier (ignoring the Uefa ruling) that any club from Dublin having to start at the bottom of the English leagues and work it's way up, would be a good argument for the barstoolers of this country to get up off their arses and support genuine Irish football teams.

I remember the groundswell of public opinion at the time and it was big news. What the eL failed to capitalise on at the time I feel was that there seemed to be a momentum of opinion that people would actually go to see Wimbledon playing their footie in Dublin. This was never really capitalised on as I say, and an opportunity was lost IMO. Maybe there were other reasons for it, but that's how I remember it at the time anyway.

So I think that this debate should neot be let lie down and if the bait is taken by some quarters then the NLSA can gain a lot by overthrowing the argument and bringing our own league back to the forefront of the Irish people.
    I got no lips I got no bones where there
    were eyes there's only space

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a loose cannon

Guys,

Re Noel King's comment which has created a bit of a storm, John Delaney was having none of it. In fact his comment was along the lines of "Noel, I'll see you in my office at 8am in the morning".

I got the night taped on DVD. It was 2 hrs 15 mins. I will analyse it and do a breakdown ie. chapter 1 raised the issue of ..., chapter 2 the issue of ... etc
    If you would like a copy let me know. It will cost €25 inc. post and packaging (I am being charged €20 a copy, not cheap but I don't think I will be keeping a factory in Korea busy with the number of copies I need. Anyway, it has hot contents!)

Thanks to all who attended and I would be delighted to have your comments/ ideas on future events.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How much is it for the typed transcript?

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    typed transcript?? I had a good laugh at that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12