Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This keeps getting funnier

http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/in...ca=33&si=87116
    Iran renames Danish Pasties in honour of Prophet Mohammad
    19:25 Thursday February 16th 2006

Iranians love Danish pastries, but now when they look for the flaky dessert at the bakery they have to ask for ``Roses of the Prophet Mohammad.''

Bakeries across the capital were covering up their ads for Danish pastries after the confectioners union ordered the name change in retaliation for cartoons of Islam's revered prophet first published in a Danish newspaper.

``Given the insults by Danish newspapers against the prophet, as of now the name of Danish pastries will give way to Rose of Mohammad pastries,'' the union said in its order.

``This is a punishment for those who started misusing freedom of expression to insult the sanctities of Islam,'' said Ahmad Mahmoudi, a cake-shop owner in northern Tehran.

One of Tehran's most popular bakeries, named Danish Pastries, covered up the word ``Danish'' on its sign with a black banner emblazoned ``Oh Hussein,'' a reference to a martyred saint of Shiite Islam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    sir hamish and everyone else

This is my first posting on this topic. What people have missed in this whole issue is the nature of philosophical thought underpinning the three religions and how long these take to evolve into something mature in tolerant.
    JUDAISM... According to their Calender 57hundred and something
    CHRISTIANITY It is 2006 according the calendar we use.
    ISLAM It is not even 1500 in their time frame.

Question what were the Jewish and Christians up to at 1500 in their respective time frames?

Having said that the reaction of the Islamic radicals is over the top akin to The Anti-Abortionists firebombing and killing doctors!

The Harryville Church boycott, and protest outside the school in Belfast are on a par with that as is The Seventh Day Observance societies opposition to sportsfields being used on Sundays. But at least nobody dies if you can't use a sportsfield
    Interesting angle DieITillCollege. But are the different calenders really a factor? I'll have to think about that point.

BTW, why single me out in your post??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i think he means that as islam is the youngest of the 3 major world religions, its worth noting how christians behaved around the same 'age'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    i think he means that as islam is the youngest of the 3 major world religions, its worth noting how christians behaved around the same 'age'.
    Yeah. RoversTillIDie, I get that part but does it really square, IYKWIM??

I mean, wasn't Arabic/Islamic advances in Science/culture etc made before we in the West and doesn't much of our numbering, sciences, art etc derive from that (then) progressive culture? Doesn't this make the calenders unimportant?

I've put the above very inarticulately but hopefully you'll get an idea of what I'm trying to say.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    Yeah. RoversTillIDie, I get that part but does it really square, IYKWIM??

I mean, wasn't Arabic/Islamic advances in Science/culture etc made before we in the West and doesn't much of our numbering, sciences, art etc derive from that (then) progressive culture? Doesn't this make the calenders unimportant?

I've put the above very inarticulately but hopefully you'll get an idea of what I'm trying to say.
    Ok Hamish
    Well you are one of the best posters on this issue... and some others too .
    Ghana was a cradle of enlightenment, education and innovation in the 12th and 13th Centuries. Now those self same people's descendants use their intellects to scam tourists !
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 17/02/2006 at 7:52 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011