Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Danish Newspaper Cartoons

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Moderator: I think this is all Off Topic. Hows about reviewing the thread title again.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Some of you might have heard of Ann Coulter - a right wing self publicising clown. Here's her "take" on it - far too many agree with her on this topic over in the US from the blogs I've been perusing. Needless to say she doesn't mention the lunatics who murder doctors at abortion clinics, fire-bomb same, Timothy McVeigh and the utterings of mad Pat Rovertson.
    Condex will probably love this.

As my regular readers know, I've long been skeptical of the "Religion of Peace" moniker for Muslims – for at least 3,000 reasons right off the top of my head. I think the evidence is going my way this week.
    The culture editor of a newspaper in Denmark suspected writers and cartoonists were engaging in self-censorship when it came to the Religion of Peace. It was subtle things, like a Danish comedian's statement, paraphrased by the New York Times, "that he had no problem urinating on the Bible but that he would not dare do the same to the Quran."
    So, after verifying that his life insurance premiums were paid up, the editor expressly requested cartoons of Muhammad from every cartoonist with a Danish cartoon syndicate. Out of 40 cartoonists, only 10 accepted the invitation, most of them submitting utterly neutral drawings with no political content whatsoever.
    But three cartoons made political points. (yeah, right -SH)
    One showed Muhammad turning away suicide bombers from the gates of heaven, saying "Stop, stop – we ran out of virgins!" – which I believe was a commentary on Muslims' predilection for violence. Another was a cartoon of Muhammad with horns, which I believe was a commentary on Muslims' predilection for violence. The third showed Muhammad with a turban in the shape of a bomb, which I believe was an expression of post-industrial ennui in a secular – oops, no, wait: It was more of a commentary on Muslims' predilection for violence.
    In order to express their displeasure with the idea that Muslims are violent, thousands of Muslims around the world engaged in rioting, arson, mob savagery, flag-burning, murder and mayhem, among other peaceful acts of nonviolence.
    Muslims are the only people who make feminists seem laid-back.
    The little darlings brandish placards with typical Religion of Peace slogans, such as: "Behead Those Who Insult Islam," "Europe, you will pay, extermination is on the way" and "Butcher those who mock Islam." They warn Europe of their own impending 9-11 with signs that say: "Europe: Your 9/11 will come" – which is ironic, because they almost had me convinced the Jews were behind the 9-11 attack.
    The rioting Muslims claim they are upset because Islam prohibits any depictions of Muhammad – though the text is ambiguous on beheadings, suicide bombings and flying planes into skyscrapers.
    The belief that Islam forbids portrayals of Muhammad is recently acquired. Back when Muslims created things, rather than blowing them up, they made paintings, frescoes, miniatures and prints of Muhammad.
    But apparently the Quran is like the Constitution: It's a "living document," capable of sprouting all-new provisions at will. Muslims ought to start claiming the Quran also prohibits indoor plumbing, to explain their lack of it.
    Other interpretations of the Quran forbid images of humans or animals, which makes even a child's coloring book blasphemous. That's why the Taliban blew up those priceless Buddhist statues, bless their innocent, peace-loving little hearts.
    Largely unnoticed in this spectacle is the blinding fact that one nation is missing from the long list of Muslim countries (by which I mean France and England) with hundreds of crazy Muslims experiencing bipolar rage over some cartoons: Iraq. Hey – maybe this democracy thing does work! The barbaric behavior of Europe's Muslims suggests that the European welfare state may not be attracting your top-notch Muslims.
    Making the rash assumption for purposes of discussion that Islam is a religion and not a car-burning cult, even a real religion can't go bossing around other people like this.
    Catholics aren't short on rules, but they couldn't care less if non-Catholics use birth control. Conservative Jews have no interest in forbidding other people from mixing meat and dairy. Protestants don't make a peep about other people eating food off one another's plates. (Just stay away from our plates – that's disgusting.)
    But Muslims think they can issue decrees about what images can appear in newspaper cartoons. Who do they think they are, liberals?

Sorry, Adam, I had to cut and paste here 'cos it's part of a very long thread over in Newshounds website.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quite entertainingly written. Something of a generalisation though, using the actions of a few to condemn the lot - I know I didn't see 2 million protestors out on the streets of Britain.
    "...and it's Charlie Chaplin on the wing..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think she makes one or two good funadamental points but she does herself no favours with her sarcastic tone.
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tired&Emotional
    I think she makes one or two good funadamental points but she does herself no favours with her sarcastic tone.
    Yip, already read it on a blog somewhere.
    Tomorrow we're supposed to have 100,000 of them out on the streets again, with a bit of luck they'll run into some football supporters

I've met a lot of people in the last few weeks who are getting a bit fed up with their antics...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Condex
    I've met a lot of people in the last few weeks who are getting a bit fed up with their antics...
    I'm not in the least surprised, considering the way western newspapers have been trying to foster anti-Islamic feeling throughout Europe, and considering the way our governments have done their best to upset Muslim countries and communities through their foreign and domestic policies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hither green
    I'm not in the least surprised, considering the way western newspapers have been trying to foster anti-Islamic feeling throughout Europe, and considering the way our governments have done their best to upset Muslim countries and communities through their foreign and domestic policies.
    Yeah its OUR newspapers and OUR governments fault that they're all a bunch of mindless savages (the rioting muslims, not the rest). Islamic countires would be upset if you said boo to them, end of story, you can't keep giving their governments and their people excuses for their racism towards the western world by saying its our fault

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yip, already read it on a blog somewhere.
    Tomorrow we're supposed to have 100,000 of them out on the streets again, with a bit of luck they'll run into some football supporters
    why? you want it to turn violent?

use your head ffs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I think that’s outrageous. In areas where they were dominant things worked absolutely fine. And I’m not harking back to medieval times, in the 19th century when “we” the West (well Russia mostly) were really getting into anti-semitism the Jews fled into the Ottoman Empire for sanctuary and were welcomed. It’s only been with the advent of the nation state and the artificial creation of countries in the middle-east that things have gone pear-shaped - well that and 80 years of western meddling. That’s often what happens when you artificially create countries instead of letting them evolve, you end up with dictators, or unenlightened regimes based on local customs or extreme religious practice. Many of the regimes in Africa aren’t much better. So perhaps instead of vilifying "arab countries" we should vilify western countries for making them what they are today, instead of what they would have become had they been left to their own devises.
    Yeah you're right there, look at the enlightened way female Muslims are treated, but I forgot thats our fault for being born in Europe. Apologies to all those female Muslims who because of me/us have been treated like garbage by their male counterparts up to this very day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus
    Yeah you're right there, look at the enlightened way female Muslims are treated, but I forgot thats our fault for being born in Europe. Apologies to all those female Muslims who because of me/us have been treated like garbage by their male counterparts up to this very day.
    At what point did I say that modern day Islamic countries should be considered enlightened? I was simply responding to a narrow-minded stereotype that the current state of the middle east was a) because of Islam or b) due to a inherent racial disposition. Similarly, I don’t disagree that the treatment of women in some countries is outrageous but you’ll find it’s not a problem in every Islamic country they do vary quite a bit, (just like Muslims look different from one another - although I doubt you’ll believe that). Poor treatment of women isn’t a religious thing, it’s connected to particular customs or traditions. Women have been treated badly in lots of part of the world (bits of southern Africa without any Islamic influence at all for example), are you blaming Islam or Muslims for that too? Isn’t there some racial purity website where you’d feel more at home?

they're all a bunch of mindless savages (the rioting muslims, not the rest).
    (Nice save there).

...you can't keep giving their governments and their people excuses for their racism towards the western world by saying its our fault
    How can you have racism towards the western world, as we're not a single race, or are you just lumping us together like that because it's then easier to differentiate "them" from "us"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    how long ago did we start paying women the same wage for the same work? allow them to work outside the home? mysoginy is not unique to any religion.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    why? you want it to turn violent?

use your head ffs
    Don't see any other group out every other week demanding this and that, its like this they either they 'fit in or f*ck off'!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down

its like this they either they 'fit in or f*ck off'!!!
    would anybody be surprised if the bnp or kkk came out with this line

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Don't see any other group out every other week demanding this and that, its like this they either they 'fit in or f*ck off'!!!
    Yes because God forbid that the Irish should ever try to keep a separate identity in the other countries that we've moved to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    for a man who emigrated you are a disgrace.

if an englishman said that to you when you first landed in london what would you have said?
    Last edited by Roverstillidie; 10/02/2006 at 2:19 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yes because God forbid that the Irish should ever try to keep a separate identity in the other countries that we've moved to.
    Been here 20 years and feel that I've integrated pretty well. I know many people with Irish ancestory who would describe themselves as English even though one of their parent were Irish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Been here 20 years and feel that I've integrated pretty well. I know many people with Irish ancestory who would describe themselves as English even though one of their parent were Irish.
    you are on an irish football website so you havent fully assimilated yourself ito your new host country.

do you consider yourself to be a racist? or is it just an anonomous internet persona?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    for a man who emigrated you are a disgrace.

if an englishman said that to you when you first landed in london what would you have said?
    If he'd said that to me I would have agreed with him....

Not much chance of you adopting a separate identity if you were living in an Islamic country....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not much chance of you adopting a separate identity if you were living in an Islamic country....
    What's that a reference to, access to the internet?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I think that’s outrageous. In areas where they were dominant things worked absolutely fine...
    This is a joke a right ? You really need to read a book about the history of Serbia, Bulgaria or pretty much anywhere in Eastern Europe if you think things were absolutely fine.

I mean things were just a ball for the East Timorese weren't they

I can't believe how naive that statement is... havent you heard of the Armenian Genocide ? Do you really think Egyptian Copts have had an "absolutely fine" time ??

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast