Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Danish Newspaper Cartoons

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As the aftermath of the cartoons continues and demonstrations by Muslims holding placards calling for beheadings, massacre and death to free speech, a demonstrator in London has been arrested.

He was dressed up like a suicide bomber to protest. Charming!
    How these people can pretend to be angered so much by a bloody catoon is crazy. It was only pen and paper for God's sake.

And to add to the whole political opportunism angle under the guise of "offence", this guy is, apparently, a convicted drug dealer! How the hell does he reconcile that to his sacred Muslim faith???!!!

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...503868,00.html
    Last edited by Tired&Emotional; 07/02/2006 at 9:20 AM.
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor
    Was watching TV3 this morning and apparently an Iranian newspaper is openly advertising for artist's to submit cartoon's depicting the holocaust. this is getting out of hand. Dread to think what the Isreali reaction to this will be
    http://www.news24.com/News24/World/N...876200,00.html -

I would hope the Jewish people practice some restraint- if only to show how infantile some Muslims are behaving.
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    you are missing the point on 2 fronts.

islam prohibits pictures of mohammed, so cartoons depicting him as a terrorist cut deeper than most of us can imagine. imagine if jesus was depicted with a hitler tache and a can of zyclon gas by a muslim paper? would the us bible belt be so sanguine? its the same analagy

and you then say that pics of the holocaust are too much? exactly the point the iranians are making. cartooning the holocaust is taboo, but insulting the prophet of the worlds second largest religion isnt? all they are doing is pointing out the double standards at play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tired&Emotional
    I dont think Muslims have a right to expect us as, a Western society, to bow to their every whim just because they believe in certain ideals. If they wish to live "here", THEY must live along the lines of how our society here has developed, surely? Don't we do the same when we visit Muslim countries by taking our shoes off, women covering up accordingly and not drinking alcohol??
    Sorry T&E if I’ve got the wrong end of your argument. I entirely agree that someone who migrates to another country should respect the customs of that country and not expect preferential treatment, but I do think they’ve a right to be respected and not insulted.

Quote Originally Posted by d f x-
    My attitude is in response to the situation though. What I take offence to is some people expecting me to continue to be in reverence to their opinion on their God. That they live to a specific set of rules to their God does not mean that I must.
    Muslims aren’t expecting Denmark to convert to Islam, they’re expecting Denmark to be tolerant and to respect their views. I wouldn’t have expected the newspapers to hold Mohammed with the same reverence as Islam does but that’s not the issue here, it’s about them deliberately going out to insult someone else’s God, deliberately going out to offend Muslims. I’m sorry but if that’s freedom of speech then you can keep it. Shouldn’t we be expected to respect each other and each other’s beliefs? I take it you also don’t feel that you should be expected to be tolerant towards the British honouring their dead on poppy day or be expected to show reverence towards Jewish people honouring the dead of the holocaust or be respectful towards Mrs Kelly living next door remembering her deceased husband?
    "...and it's Charlie Chaplin on the wing..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    you are missing the point on 2 fronts.

islam prohibits pictures of mohammed, so cartoons depicting him as a terrorist cut deeper than most of us can imagine. imagine if jesus was depicted with a hitler tache and a can of zyclon gas by a muslim paper? would the us bible belt be so sanguine? its the same analagy

and you then say that pics of the holocaust are too much? exactly the point the iranians are making. cartooning the holocaust is taboo, but insulting the prophet of the worlds second largest religion isnt? all they are doing is pointing out the double standards at play.
    I've nothing to back this up with, so take it with a pinch of salt, but I've heard that Middle Eastern newspapers regularly run antisemitic cartoons with references to the holocost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83
    I've nothing to back this up with, so take it with a pinch of salt, but I've heard that Middle Eastern newspapers regularly run antisemitic cartoons with references to the holocost.
    Which without straying too far off topic would be pretty understandable given the circumstances......

Anyway, just wait for the tidal wave of sickening "Western" hypocrisy and double-standards if the Iranians print those cartoons. Fair play to Iran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die
    Anyway, just wait for the tidal wave of sickening "Western" hypocrisy and double-standards if the Iranians print those cartoons. Fair play to Iran
    Is this the same Iran that is building a comprehensive nuclear programme to keep the power supply running to warm their toes during winter?????!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Is this the same Iran that is building a comprehensive nuclear programme to keep the power supply running to warm their toes during winter?????!!
    Ya the very same, its also the same Iran that was almost wiped out by pan-Arab and Western (U.S) agression during the "Whirlwind War", you know that Iran Fair play to a brave nation standing up against agression and hypocrisy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nightdub
    Steady on, WAR. Frank Ryan..."No free speech for fascists", etc?
    It's one of the few opinons of mine that's changed with the onset of "maturity"

I used to be a "kick them off the streets" merchant but now I reckon that's what they want. I also hope David Irving gets off the incitement to hatred charge he's facing in Austria. And I really never thought I'd say that.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Recently enough I think the Irish Times had some urine extraction picture of the Last Supper.
    Paddy Power had a billboard advert on Dorset Street I think with
    a p!ss take of the last supper. There was an outcry about how dare
    they do such a thing in a catholic country etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ya the very same, its also the same Iran that was almost wiped out by pan-Arab and Western (U.S) agression during the "Whirlwind War", you know that Iran Fair play to a brave nation standing up against agression and hypocrisy

Don't know how you can say fair play to them. It is a calculated ploy to raise tensions. They are deliberately trying to up the anti in all this. And the fact that they are running a competition to get these cartoons highlights their contempt for Western society!

I don't think the editor of the Danish paper which published the cartoons back in Sept 05, knew the effect it would have after Imam's took a few months spreading them around Muslim nations!!! These people incited there own, using the cartoons as an excuse!

The state-and-media relationship in Iran is a completely different animal to that of Western societies of democracy, freespeech etc. You cannot compare the two. So any such cartoons that appear in Iranian papers will be a more than even a nations voice - not a newspaper that is truely independent and stands for freespeech etc. This is all playground behavior.

And I don't accept that an image can cause so much unrest - it says more than a little something about these people if they balance out this "offence" with extreme violence that has now led to death of fellow human beings!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    and that is relevant how?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Don't know how you can say fair play to them. It is a calculated ploy to raise tensions. They are deliberately trying to up the anti in all this. And the fact that they are running a competition to get these cartoons highlights their contempt for Western society!
    It will only raise tensions if the west is shown up for its hypocrisy about the whole issue and reacts

As for contempt, get a history book, read it, then talk about Irans contempt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    and that is relevant how?

Their mentality....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It will only raise tensions if the west is shown up for its hypocrisy about the whole issue and reacts

As for contempt, get a history book, read it, then talk about Irans contempt
    I'll reserve judgement so until we see the outcome of any cartoons they print.
    As for history etc. Iran maybe an politically experimetal Muslim nation but the point remains that their contempt for the cartoons and there reaction is still infantile and opportunist.

http://www.albawaba.com/en/countries/Iran/194374

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Their mentality....
    their mentality of saying 'well if they are only cartoons, you wont mind us doing them about something you are sensitive about?

or their mentality of being smelly little coloured terrorists?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    their mentality of saying 'well if they are only cartoons, you wont mind us doing them about something you are sensitive about?

or their mentality of being smelly little coloured terrorists?

Do I have to draw you a picture?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash
    There was an outcry about how dare
    they do such a thing in a catholic country etc
    Yeah, I remember it well. Massive public protests with men dressed as IRA foot soldiers, waving signs with "Annihilate bookies" and "Bookies, your 9/11 is coming."
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    see the same paper has printed a pic of hitler in bed with anne frank saying " put that in your diary anne " !!!! .

they say its to proove that europe still has sore points that you should nt joke about before every one gets on there high horse about the musilums getting upset .but i think if people are offended they ll pick up the phone and complain ,
    no emmbassy's will get burnt down , no one will get shot , no one will get treatened !! . if there was even a protest id be surprised .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    Yeah, I remember it well. Massive public protests with men dressed as IRA foot soldiers, waving signs with "Annihilate bookies" and "Bookies, your 9/11 is coming."
    you may mock peader, but religious violence is not all that distant a memory in this country. catholic churches were firebombed last year.
    and bear in mind there are areas in the north that you cannot see brokeback mountain. abortion clinics and gay bars are bobmed and shot up is the states. ugandan paramilitary groups recruit children to fight in the name of jesus.
    its not unique to islam.
    im not for a second going to defend burning embassies, but we are only 30 years ahead of them in dublin.

anto, an american teenager just got shot by the cops for blasting a gay bar. are you seriously trying to tell me we react all that differently? itss a rule of law issue, not a religious one
    Last edited by Roverstillidie; 07/02/2006 at 12:23 PM.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast