Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keane-what is he upto?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Keane-what is he upto?

i have lost a lot of respect for the guy after this. He should be chomping at the bit to play for Ireland at the greatest tournament in the world, instead he has upset the team and thrown preparations into dissarray....

Not to mention poor Colin Healy. It makes me sick. They say he also told mick he was retiring from international football aswell.

I'd nearly be inclined to drop him after that. its not the first time he has shown he isnt commited to the cause either.

I may be harsh and maybe there is more to the situation than meet the eye but its a real sickener

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    KEANE NEARLY MISSED FIFA DEADLINE

Wednesday May 22 2002

Fifa have confirmed that the Republic of Ireland had beaten the deadline to include Roy Keane in their World Cup squad - but only just.

Keane sent shockwaves through the Irish camp when he told manager Mick McCarthy that he wanted to go home, citing personal problems and worries about his troublesome knee as the reasons.

That prompted McCarthy to telephone Celtic youngster Colin Healy before faxing a revised 23-man squad to Fifa with his name in place of Keane's.

But world football's governing body have confirmed that a dramatic change of heart from Keane brought about another list from the Irish camp which arrived just before the deadline.

"It's the name of Roy Keane which is on the list," said Fifa press officer Keith Cooper.

"They had had Roy Keane initially, then they changed it to Colin Healy and then they came back again with Roy Keane just before the deadline.

"So that's no longer an issue for us at all. The only thing that interests us is the names that are there at the end and that's now been cleared up."

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He obviously doesn't attach much importance to international football. Sure he gives 100% while he's on the pitch, but off it I get the impression he doesn't care too much. Its all about Man Utd for him, he never seems to mess them about the way he does Ireland. I thought he was going to retire from international football after the World Cup, now I'm convinced he will. if he's willing to give up on playing in the WC after a few days of training why would he continue?

Personally, i can't believe his petulance and arrogance. He's in such a privileged position that most other footballers would give their right arm for yet he doesn't seem to care about it. I don't care how good he is, thats irrelevant, nobody should be allowed carry on the way he has, it was such a selfish thing to do, knowing the disruption it would cause to the sqauds morale. By the way, i don't believe there's anything in this "personal matter" thing, its just the usual bit of spin thrown out after such incidents. This is all about Roy Keanes ego, thats a personal opinion feel free to disagree, but remember no matter how good he is it still doesn't give him the right to think everything revolves around him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Red face

While I wouldn't dismise the reported events involving Roy I think this is being blown out of all proportion. There feck all stories so this the only one the media have to latch onto.

Hopefully Roy is just feeling the pressure of the upcoming WC & its already been reported as not the most personable person in the squad.

Like it or not the squad might as well go home now without Roy Keane however no matter how important a player Mick would have to remove him if he not giving 100% as the discontent would spread to the rest of the squad.

Roy may have been accused of not giving his all for Ireland in the past but I don't think anyone could dispute he been by far our best & most comitted player in the qualifiers.

p.s. anyone know when the last competitive match Ireland lost with Roy Keane on the field?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by pete
    While I wouldn't dismise the reported events involving Roy I think this is being blown out of all proportion.

To be fair, its a huge story Pete? Our captain, national hero, and perhaps our only world class player asked to leave the WC squad....

It proves his heart isnt quite in it. Do you think any one of the other players has even had that kind of a thought enter their minds? i dont think so. I just hope he tries and make up for it now on the field

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i think he's got cabin fever

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Red face

I think its just an english conspiracy through their "Irish" Sun, Mirror etc.... to deflect attention from a poor performance against korea & barely a fit midfielder in their squad.

We should be careful not to become as fickle as the english - remember they close to linching Beckham less than 4 years ago & now he their hero.

(off topic)
    btw is Eriksson mad to include all those injuried midfielders?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The English are having a field day alright:

Big girl's blouse Keane: "I'll take ball home"
    Keane quits World Cup...for a couple of hours
    Ireland's one-man-team today sensationally quit the squad - then swiftly changed his mind when he realised he might not get a game. Incredibly, it seems Keano was upset when asked to take a turn in goal in a 5-a-side match. Doesn’t Packie Bonner know this bloke is a superstar?
    See here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Who remembers this song ??

And the papers that morning gave no one the slightest chance,

They said the English would lead everyone on a merry dance,

Do you remember those English fans, with their union jacks for victory they were set.

But they didn't even get to the second round 'cos they got beaten three times and had to crawl home whimpering ....

Diddle di di idle idle .... idle idle doo

** Skippin' and dancing in the street ** .... WWWhhohoooo !!!

H'up me bouy's ..... go on ya good thing ya
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Keane has always been a doubt for me in this World Cup. His head has not been right for Ireland or for United in the past few months. He played rubbish against Nigeria and he is carrying a serious injury. The person I feel for is Colin Healy. I'd prefer to have 11 on the pitch who want to be there.

There is no doubt that Keano will give his all if he plays but in his state of mind, his all isn't much.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Does nobody else buy the official report that it was down to an injury? There's no doubt that a story like this sells papers.

Keano will win over all you sceptics and prove that he is willing to die for that green shirt, while he shows the rest of the world just how good a player he is.

Trust me.
    Beer! How did you know?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by James
    i think he's got cabin fever

Brilliant
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Originally posted by Ruairi

Brilliant
    I second that .... Nice one James Bouy
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Keane's a great player, but he's behaving like a spoiled contemptible little brat. Of course I'd love him to lead Ireland out at the world cup, but McCarthy was dead right to do what he did. One man does not make a team- he can't have the whole country act on his whims.
    ROY-P!SS OFF AND GROW UP!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I disagree, he should as team captain be allowed to speak out if he feels that he or the rest of the players are being treated badly or unfairly.
    Im absolutley disgusted with this decision, its a [SIZE=3]DISGRACE[/SIZE] that Roy has been sent home.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by COLM
    I disagree, he should as team captain be allowed to speak out if he feels that he or the rest of the players are being treated badly or unfairly.
    Im absolutley disgusted with this decision, its a [SIZE=3]DISGRACE[/SIZE] that Roy has been sent home.
    I've no problem with him complaining or giving out, but threatening to walk out etc., was totally childish. Like I said, I'm no big fan of Mccarthy, but how do you think mick felt when keane said
    (Ferguson) had been on. He was on holidays but he'd seen the news. I had a good chat with him. He's someone I respect..In football, he's the only person I would listen to.
    . Personally, I would have been disgusted if I was mick, and i don't blame him for it AT ALL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Behaving badly?

The last time that Roy was supposed to have behaved badly, the FAI were sitting in the first class seats. Now the players fly first class, thanks to Mr Keane behaving badly. He is the team captain and unlike McCarthy he isn't employed by the FAI. He just doesn't accept second class treatment.
    Bureaucracy is a challenge to be conquered with a righteous attitude, a tolerance for stupidity and a bulldozer when necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree, as far as I can see Keane is being punished for speking out against the FAI's hypocrisey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    yeah but he went too far. what he said to his team manager is unbeliveable..........

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Pablo
    yeah but he went too far. what he said to his team manager is unbeliveable..........
    What did he say? Do you know, Pablo?
    Poor old Mick, somebody said a bad word to him, boo hoo hoo....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast