Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lessons to be learned from A-League?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Tis yourself Seansouth!

Point taken re: A-League Vs el standard. I think it is hard to compare but I definitely believe there is unfinitely more opportunities for AL to improve than there is for el.

Sean- Have you enjoyed the Sydney FC season? As a team and football standard, I think it has been up & down but I have really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the finals series.

BTW- I had a pop at Shels, not at yourself (nothing personal and all)

As for the beer- At this stage I would drink anything!
    Last edited by Snoop Drog; 07/02/2006 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    I think the problem witrh Snoop Drogs original thesis is that he is confusing support for a team with support for the league. Speaking personally I support my club. I don't particularly support the league, only as a by product of supporting Pats. I'm sure other supporters feel the same, don't they ? Therefore who would be interested in supporting a new club "in the interests of the league?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Tony- I reckon alot of existing el fans feel that way. It was the same in Oz- Alot of the old club's fans swore they would never support the new league, and many didn't.

The league depended on bringing in new support- The "barstoolers", the families, the general sportsfan, the event junkies. So it isn't just a continuation of the old league- new blood is needed.

Last week Sydney FC got over 25,000 at their game (even though it's a big city, the numbers are impressive) which is more than all the old Sydney clubs weekly attendances combined.

I'm not convinced that the A-League format would work in Ireland. Not becuase the idea is flawed but because I don't think the FAI would have the vision to drive it. But I am convinced that there is a better way than what is happening now- Hopefully another successful Setanta Cup will plant more seeds of the benefits of being more involved with our Northern brothers.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345