• Undecided

7 36.84%

Thread: 2007 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

2007 season

With all the different stories going around at the moment about the new structure that the league is going to take, are Galway United fans happy with what they are hearing?

I myself am undecided as there is a more gaps than words in what the FAI are saying in their plans.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

ya its a good thing

the day had to come and like or loathe delaney you have to hand it to him
    his thinking is crystal clear and he knows that all it takes is money for clubs to see sense

Its fair to say now at united that everyone is pulling together supporters and board are working hard to make it happen

but we cant be complacent
    it would be a good time for the club to have a forum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    exactly!

People are already saying theres no point in going to terryland if theres no relegation/promotion this year! Galway United have to tell the people exactly what is the story with the club now, and the direction it is heading towards in the coming future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

This was spelt out to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    exactly!

People are already saying theres no point in going to terryland if theres no relegation/promotion this year! Galway United have to tell the people exactly what is the story with the club now, and the direction it is heading towards in the coming future.

at the forum at the end of last season but I suppose people just wont bother turning up again.We still have to finish in the top 2 this season preferably 1st to ensure our place in the new super league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    agreed we have to win the first division this year. Hopefully it will be a case of the people of galway will only turn out when things are going well, this would guarantee massive home support if we do win it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    We have a season ticket launch, which included details of the clubs plans for the coming season, and a public meeting with Genesis, in the last two months, so I think another forum is unlikely.

GUFC want to be in the proposed "superleague", there is no question of that.
    We need to improve the "3Fs" - football, facilities, finance. Construction on the new stand will have to commence this season, and we need to reach our target of 500 season tickets. Most importantly, we have to finish in the top two of the First Division.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    exactly!

Seeing as word of the 'no regular promotion/relegation' for the coming season has spread quite quiclky,
    United should be actively promoting the fact that finishing in the top two spots
    would give Galway United an excellent chance of securing Premier football (be it accurate or not!)

Going on what i've heard of the criteria for promotion,
    United would be right up there,
    as long as a good league position is attained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    As far as I can tell these proposals haven't been fully agreed on yet - but I think it would be very difficult for the FAI not to promote the First Division champions of the coming season.

That said there needs to be more off-field-professionalism in the eircom League - in other countries they have restrictions and having places like Gortakeegan hosting top-flight football has to be done with.

United should definitely have a great chance of winning the Division - I honestly think the only team that could possibly finish ahead of us is 'I can't believe it's not Kilkenny' Rovers. Limerick and Cobh have made some decent signings but I think we were stronger than them last season anyway and I think Harps may struggle this season without McHugh.

J
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

Dont agree

Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC
    United should definitely have a great chance of winning the Division - I honestly think the only team that could possibly finish ahead of us is 'I can't believe it's not Kilkenny' Rovers.

J
    with you there i'm afraid. sure we have been saying that we should go up... on paper for the last few years and it hasnt happened.

Its far too early to be talking about it in pre-season.

Utd need to be reasonably consistent over the course of the season. thats somrthing that they havent managed in recent seasons.

Patches here and there are no good if you are aiming to win the league