24 42.11%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mercenary, Do or Die?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Mercenary, Do or Die?

I thought this would be a very interesting thread to open. Now i know we have had countless discussions on the merits and de-merits of having international players in the ireland squad who are simply playing to forward their careers or to get a chance to play in the world cup finals.

I want to look at this from a different angle. I'm going to use Kevin Nolan as an example, forget that he may be ineligible, just think of the situation:

Kevin Nolan has previously declared that he has no interest in playing for Ireland at all, does not feel Irish, and feels he has enough ability to break into England's midfield.

Now Nolan has finally decided that international football for him is not going to come in the shape of England, and he would therefore like to play for the Irish national side.

*Heres the catch. If Nolan is to play for the Irish national side he WILL be the difference between qualifying for the world cup and not qualifying for the world cup. Im not talking one game, he will play in all the qualifiers and will guarentee our qualifying for the competition.

Basically what i'm saying is ;
    If Nolan plays we qualify
    If Nolan doesn't play we don't qualify

Now what are your views on a mercenry, someone who isn't Irish, but will bring us qualification, playing for us...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Poll added. I voted for not qualifying.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If they wanna play then they'il play i reckon..I'd at least cut off a finger (one of the crap ones) to go to this world cup so id probably play anyone who'd get us there. (except for fester)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    As the poll is based on a contentious supposition, my guess is the thread will hit the dirt bin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    well put it another way...do you think "the end justifies the means" should be our main motivation in our use of the "granny rule". (no from me)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I voted for not qualifying.
    Who Cares?!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I don't understand the point of the poll, as Clinton Morrison already plays for us the answer is 99% wants Ireland to qualify....

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    782 Posts
    Daft daft. So we have 10 players born and bred in Ireland and the 11th players is someone who also plays for us of Irish blood but who wants to enhance his career, so we should hope we don't qualify because of that.

It takes all sorts I suppose.

I can never understand this Aryan pure blood theory. We have enough "pure Irishmen" turning their back on their country and retiring early and now we want to sneer at the 2nd generation who want to play for whatever reason. The motivation of a player doesn't interest me so long as he does the business. At least he's prepared to put on the green shirt unlike some of his aryan brethern.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Since when has Irelands world Cup qualification depended on Kevin Nolan for **** sake.Stupid poll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorge
    Since when has Irelands world Cup qualification depended on Kevin Nolan for **** sake.Stupid poll.
    Its a hypothetical situation....
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

Interesting article in the Times today. Thornley suggesting extending the rule to children of irish people & leaving at that. If kid plays for england at under-age level then don't approach when they older. He suggesting dragging in mercenaries at senior level is unfair to players who have gone throuhg the whole underage setup.

No to mercenaries.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    No to mercenaries for me too, and that would include current players like Morrison. It makes a mockery of the national team. A player should be asked once, if there's not a direct answer there and then they should never be considered again. It shouldn't be restricted to Irish born, but it shouldn't be anyone who qualifies either.

btw Staunton has lost all support for me with his granny rule comments. Wasn't his fault he's Delaney's stooge so got the job (well it is, but he could hardly turn it down), it is his fault if he's looking to cram the team full of numpties delighted to have midweek games and the associated bonus' of getting caps for the "Republic"
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I suppose ye guys would also rather Ray Houghton/Andy Townsend/John Aldridge had never player for Ireland and we had never qualified for world cup 90/94.

what a stupid question.
    Caller to Radio 5 phone-in: There are too many foreign players in the league.
    Mark Lawrenson: Why do you think that is?
    Caller: Because there are a lot of them.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaf1983
    I suppose ye guys would also rather Ray Houghton/Andy Townsend/John Aldridge had never player for Ireland and we had never qualified for world cup 90/94.
    Well at least Townsend and Aldridge have stuck with their decision. I think they would've met the qualification of only being asked once. Houghton has said it's just because he was píssed off at not getting picked for scotland and he still says he's Scottish. He said this on an RTE programme, so no question of him playing up for particular audience.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

what a stupid question.
    How do you know we wouldn't have qualified without them?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    ...I can never understand this Aryan pure blood theory...
    It's not a pure blood theory. It's a pure Irish accent theory. No Irish accent then he must be a Brit! Simple as the people who think it.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    How do you know we wouldn't have qualified without them?
    I dont , but in the context of the question on the poll, anyone who votes for "Not playing that mercenary and not qualifying for the World cup" should by the same reasoning in the past have rathered Ireland had not played Houghton/Aldridge/Townsend even if it had meant not qualifying for world cup 90/94.

people kick up about these people playing for Ireland but once they happen to play a few games/score a few goals everything is forgotten.
    Caller to Radio 5 phone-in: There are too many foreign players in the league.
    Mark Lawrenson: Why do you think that is?
    Caller: Because there are a lot of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I dont , but in the context of the question on the poll, anyone who votes for "Not playing that mercenary and not qualifying for the World cup" should by the same reasoning in the past have rathered Ireland had not played Houghton/Aldridge/Townsend even if it had meant not qualifying for world cup 90/94.
    Plenty of people were against the appointment of Stan or the 2nd chance for Keane, it doesn't mean they're going to stop supporting Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think it's a good question, Staunton brought it up after all, it's one thing to go out and exploit the granny rule (and I've no problem with that) but to keep mentioning it as a core tactic like Staunton has is going too far. And I've no issue with exploiting the international rule occasionally, every country does it, england not least (aren't nearly all of their cricket team foreign?) but I don't want to see too many recruited like that or we'll become the butt of all jokes again. I don't know what Staunton's up to, it wasn't lack of players that stopped us qualifying for the world cup it was tactics.
    "...and it's Charlie Chaplin on the wing..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Daft daft. So we have 10 players born and bred in Ireland and the 11th players is someone who also plays for us of Irish blood but who wants to enhance his career, so we should hope we don't qualify because of that.

It takes all sorts I suppose.

I can never understand this Aryan pure blood theory. We have enough "pure Irishmen" turning their back on their country and retiring early and now we want to sneer at the 2nd generation who want to play for whatever reason. The motivation of a player doesn't interest me so long as he does the business. At least he's prepared to put on the green shirt unlike some of his aryan brethern.
    you are deliberatly missing the point. this, as has been repeated ad nauseum, is not about genuine diaspora representing the country of their forefathers like kilbane or kelly.
    this is about guys like morrison who chose ireland over other options to play international football soely to further their careers.
    the fact that stan is going back down this route is a cop out, as TH says, it lets the FAI off the hook for not bothering with any youth systems and vision.
    im irritated now by those 2/3g's who automatically assume mercinary refers to them, it doesnt. it refers to those who only want to play for ireland because the nightlife is better in dublin than cardiff or because there is a contract clause that gets them an extra couple of quid a week if they become international players or helps them come contract chat time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast