Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mc Ateer on Sky

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mc Ateer on Sky

Anybody see Mc Ateer on Sky last night saying that Ireland had no world Class players when he was playin. What was he talking about. You should have seen the look by Keven Moran it was priceless.
    Last edited by NeilMcD; 26/01/2006 at 5:06 PM.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Anybody see Mc Ateer on Sky last night saying that Ireland had no world Class players. What was he talking about. You should have seen the look by Keven Moran it was priceless.
    I think he's correct, there is no current Irish player that would get in a hypothetical world squad/team...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He was referring to the teams that he played in.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I didn't think World Classs meant you had to get in hypothetical world xi?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    he must have been on the pitch against italy and been thinking hmm that paul mcgrath might have baggio in his pocket but id rather torben piechnek any day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Paul Mc Grath and Roy Keane .. granted they never won European Cups and Mc Grath never won anything of note.

John Aldridge too .. might be pushing it.. but big success in Spain after scoring tons in England. Dennis Irwin too?

World class is a very difficult term to define ... but Mc Ateer definitely played with a number of very gifted Irish footballers, so have no idea what he is on about

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    yeah Roy Keane, what an average player he was Jason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I missed McAteer saying that. Would have liked to have seen Moran's reaction!

What rubbish - though don't expect worldly observations from the guy.
    Trigger's brain cell hasn't a clue what his own mouth is saying most of the time.....it's no wonder Keano called his dog after him!!!
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    How it came about in that he was comparing Wigan to the Ireland team. He said that Wigan had no world class players just like Ireland when he was playing. Moran gave him a filthy look. My remote control nearly went through the TV. I think Roy Keane and Paul Mc Grath would fall under the term world class in my view. If Ray Houghton had of been playing in Europe with Liverpool I think he would have done too.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    poor trigger he's daft as a brush.
    I

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    If Ray Houghton had of been playing in Europe with Liverpool I think he would have done too.
    Houghton was THE player of the Charlton era. He was unbelievable up and down that right wing. McAteer would have only played with him though at the tail end of his career. Keane and Whelan at his prime would also be there or there abouts but did McAteer play with Whelan I wonder. McGrath was a great player for us - strong and a great reader of the game but passing wouldn't have been a strong point so I am not sure, and I know this is heresy in some quarters, he could be called a "world class" player.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Mc Grath was the greatest defender that I have ever seen.
    In Trap we trust

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Agreed, strong in the air and determined in the tackle and a great reader of the game but his distribution was suspect - that's just why I can never vote a player into a "world class team" who wasn't a great passer. If you ask me to choose between Lawrenson or McGrath as a defender, I'd opt for the former because he was more a complete footballer.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    ronnie whelan came on as a sub against norway in the 0-0 draw at usa 94. pretty sure mcateer played in that game. ill always remember whelan-he came on, went into defence for a corner and caused utter havoc, kneeing the ball against his own crossbar
    I

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Whelan was world class.
    TBF i think Jason probably meant the team he played in post Charlton,when Keane rarley played.That can be the only justifiable observation into the workings of Jays mind.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Why would anyone get worked up over a twit like McAteer? He is dumb and makes no secret of the fact. Did well for Ireland overall.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He was on Skysports last night speaking about Fowlers return to Liverpool and he came out with one of his gems. He first of all spoke about how Fowler is still known as 'God' at Anfield and then he want on to say:

"He's the best player I've played with.........(pause)...football that is!!

Who would have assumed anything else other than he decided to question his own statement? Pure McAteer. Its up there with some of his other crackers.
    Mens sana in corpore sano

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSemi
    He was on Skysports last night speaking about Fowlers return to Liverpool and he came out with one of his gems. He first of all spoke about how Fowler is still known as 'God' at Anfield and then he want on to say:

"He's the best player I've played with.........(pause)...football that is!!

Who would have assumed anything else other than he decided to question his own statement? Pure McAteer. Its up there with some of his other crackers.

Brilliant! Did you ever hear about the time he saw Jimmy White in a bar (might have been lillies bordello)? He stood up on a chair and shouted: "Jimmy White ... One-hundred and eighty!!" Jimmy White turned around with a look of bemusement!

Another time, Trigger locked his keys inside his car outside his house. A policeman came along and told Jason he could open it if he got a clothes-hanger. Jason ran inside his house and came out with a wooden clothes-hanger!

Jason was in a bank in Liverpool with Neil Ruddock one time. He was filling out a form for a bank account. There was a question on the form asking to specify the applicant's position in the company. Jason supposedly asked Ruddock whether he should write down right-wing back or centre-midfield!
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    Jason was in a bank in Liverpool with Neil Ruddock one time. He was filling out a form for a bank account. There was a question on the form asking to specify the applicant's position in the company. Jason supposedly asked Ruddock whether he should write down right-wing back or centre-midfield!
    I was about to post this. I think Razor said it on Soccer AM's "Things I know about football".

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    World Class is an overused phrase. I think it would mean players would at least have to make world top 50 of their time which would mean top 5 in their position.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast