Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The FAI will make every effort to push back the glamour ties

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

The FAI will make every effort to push back the glamour ties

I have a big problem with this statement. Staunton has to plan the home games so that we have the very best chance of winning those games and qualifying. Filling Croke park for a "glamour" tie should not be his priorty.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar
    I have a big problem with this statement. Staunton has to plan the home games so that we have the very best chance of winning those games and qualifying. Filling Croke park for a "glamour" tie should not be his priorty.
    I see where you're coming from but a full croker might be as good a tactic as playing the top teams soon after the WC.
    It might be a good tactic to test the new management team and players against the lesser teams before taking on the likes of Slovakia, Germany or Czech Republic.
    The fact is that they might fancy playing us early now we have a new manager.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    I have a big problem with this statement. Staunton has to plan the home games so that we have the very best chance of winning those games and qualifying. Filling Croke park for a "glamour" tie should not be his priority.
    He says he wants to plan the home games to have the very best chance of winning the games and you have a big problem with this statement ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    My problem is with the FAI. They state on their website that THEY will be pushing hard to get the "glamour" home matches put off until March, October or November 2007 when Croker is available. These dates might suit Staunton. But they might not. And we will need every advantage we can muster to get out of this group. The FAI's priority of filling Croker for "glamour" ties has hints of Paris over Wembley for the 1966 WC.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    totally agree noelly guiter...they want the money, they have already written off qualification.
    sure didnt they want the playoff(if we had got there) in england for money rather infront of 22,000 in landsdowne (were they would not have made money but mightve actually qualified)

spain 1965 indeed

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    My problem is with the FAI. They state on their website that THEY will be pushing hard to get the "glamour" home matches put off until March, October or November 2007 when Croker is available. These dates might suit Staunton. But they might not. And we will need every advantage we can muster to get out of this group. The FAI's priority of filling Croker for "glamour" ties has hints of Paris over Wembley for the 1966 WC.
    Apologies. I misunderstood you. I do believe that we should try and play the Germans and Czechs immediately after the WC preferably away. Teams that play in the WC are usually not quite as motivated for games immediately afterwards. That should fit in with the FAI's plans to maximize profits (if you can combine both, that is the ideal way).
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Although that worked in our favour before, i am not sure this time. Staunton might need to play some crappy teams first to get the team settled.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marksman
    I'm going against the grain here and not agree with Stan. The Ireland team is very much in disarray, there's hardly a position on the pitch that we can say for certain who will fill it (Given, Duff, Dunne...that's about it!). For probably the first time ever Irish players mocked each other during a game (Carr gesticulating at Holland etc. during the must win Swiss game), were lacking in spirit and aimless. We've had retirements and we have a lot of young players to blood.

I see what you mean, but Stan is now the boss, he has 8 months to resolve this and I still think it would be a great idea to play at least one of Germany/ Czechs away before 2007. We dont know how the Germans and the Czechs will do at the World Cup, there may well be changes of managers and/or players for them. Certainly the Cezchs will have to deal with a few retirements (Poborsky - if he hasnt already gone, Nedved, etc) and other players like Rosicky are out of contract with their clubs (Dortmund) and will almost certainly be starting at a new club by then.

If was on the fixture negotiation team for the FAI, I'd go for Czechs away as the first fixture.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    The scheduling strategy in recent times has been to play the tough teams away first and try and get them in a weakened state after the WC, e.g. McCarthy getting a 2-2 draw with Holland and then 0-0 against Portugal. Kerr also played the Swiss and the French away first as well. So the FAI is not saying new really.

Stan has 8 months to get this team ready, our opponents will have retirements to cope with after the WC and Germany may lose Klinsman if they do poorly. I'm not sure the the Czech coach is contracted to stay on after the WC or not. The sooner we can play them the better our chances have to be unless Stan doesn't steady the boat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    eeehhh, some of us told you stan was hired as a yes man!! well here we go....

can anyone see care bending over for delaney like this?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Putting aside the FAI's usual motives of making as much money short term as possible (clearly displayed in their appointment of the cheapest manager they could find - not that I have anything against Stan btw), the following would be my preferences for the fixtures arrangements:

Make sure we get a few friendlies in croker before playing a qualifier. If this means not organising a home game in the first half of 2007 then so be it. I think the conditions in croke park may be a factor. Looking at gaa games in the summer there, players slip all over the place. The pitch will be very slick and firm. I dont know of any game played there before under floodlights either. Anyway I wouldnt like us to only discover these things in an important game. If there are any potential advantages to be had by the conditions in Croker, better to know them in advance.

As mentioned previously, play czechs and/or germany away this autumn. Prague and Munich arent that far from each other either so we could do them as a double header(maybe we could even have the munich game coincide with the oktoberfest/munich beer festival)

Play a couple of the home ties against one of the 4 weaker teams early. Maybe start with home to San Marino.

Play Wales towards the end of the group. They will have a new manager by then and will be 'building for the future' by fielding some Swansea and Wrexham youth team players.

Anyway my choice of fixtures would be as follows:

Sep 06 San Marino (h)
    Sep 06 Slovakia (h)
    Oct 06 Czech (a)
    Oct 06 Germany (a)
    Mar 07 Cyprus (h)
    Jun 07 Slovakia (a)
    Jun 07 San Marino (a)
    Sep 07 Wales (a)
    Sep 07 Germany (h)
    Oct 07 Czech (h)
    Oct 07 Cyprus (a)
    Nov 07 Wales (h)
    TC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Only2keanos
    As mentioned previously, play czechs and/or germany away this autumn. Prague and Munich arent that far from each other either so we could do them as a double header(maybe we could even have the munich game coincide with the oktoberfest/munich beer festival)
    It might be more beneficial to play one of the big guns at home this year, so we can catch them off-form after the WC, similiar to Croatia '98. Last time, we had a very favourable fixture list, but screwed up qualifying because of bad management. If we played them away early, they would still suffer from a hangover, but with the home advantage, be likely to win the game anyway.

International weeks do not coincide with the Munich beer festival, so you can forget about that one. 95% of the Oktoberfest is on during the last 2 weeks of September.
    Play Wales towards the end of the group. They will have a new manager by then and will be 'building for the future' by fielding some Swansea and Wrexham youth team players.

I think that's a no-go idea already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Does anyone think the Croke Park matches will be a damp squib ? The pitch is so far away from the stands and most of the noise and atmosphere is lost because the stadium is so open. I hope the new landsdowne road isnt like this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Only2keanos
    Putting aside the FAI's usual motives of making as much money short term as possible (clearly displayed in their appointment of the cheapest manager they could find - not that I have anything against Stan btw), the following would be my preferences for the fixtures arrangements:

Make sure we get a few friendlies in croker before playing a qualifier. If this means not organising a home game in the first half of 2007 then so be it. I think the conditions in croke park may be a factor. Looking at gaa games in the summer there, players slip all over the place. The pitch will be very slick and firm. I dont know of any game played there before under floodlights either. Anyway I wouldnt like us to only discover these things in an important game. If there are any potential advantages to be had by the conditions in Croker, better to know them in advance.

Play a couple of the home ties against one of the 4 weaker teams early. Maybe start with home to San Marino.

Anyway my choice of fixtures would be as follows:

Sep 06 San Marino (h)
    Sep 06 Slovakia (h)
    Oct 06 Czech (a)
    Oct 06 Germany (a)
    Mar 07 Cyprus (h)
    Jun 07 Slovakia (a)
    Jun 07 San Marino (a)
    Sep 07 Wales (a)
    Sep 07 Germany (h)
    Oct 07 Czech (h)
    Oct 07 Cyprus (a)
    Nov 07 Wales (h)
    I think you will find that CP is not available in September 07. I think we will play three of first 4 games at home at LR and that Czech Republic will be one of them.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    Does anyone think the Croke Park matches will be a damp squib ? The pitch is so far away from the stands and most of the noise and atmosphere is lost because the stadium is so open. I hope the new landsdowne road isnt like this
    The talk of someone who has never been to Croker.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Duff has already stated that away teams won't mind playing at Croker. I don't believe it will be a big advantage for us especially as few if any of our players will have played there before. I agree with the posters that we should be looking to play the big 2 of Germany or the Czech Republic as early in the campaign as possible. Either away or at Landsdowne. I would leave the away game against Slovakia until the very last. Particulary nasty venue not unlike playing against NI in Windsor. Hopefully they will have no chance of qualifying by then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    The talk of someone who has never been to Croker.
    Atmosphere at GAA matches is very different from football. With the exception of the Dubs on the hill, there are very rarely any songs or chants. It's a very open stadium so sound does not hold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet
    Atmosphere at GAA matches is very different from football. With the exception of the Dubs on the hill, there are very rarely any songs or chants. It's a very open stadium so sound does not hold.
    There's plenty of atmosphere whenever I'm there. You can't get much more open than Lansdowne and there was a great atmosphere there on many occasion. It doesn't matter how open it is, 70,000 fans singing is bound to sound fantastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Croker Noise

Agreed,
    the atmosphere in Croker on a big match day is unbelievable. Ask anyone who has been to a recent All-Ireland football or hurling tie. Theres noithing like it. Last year Dublin were playing Tyrone in the replay with the Dubs staging something of a comeback after a first half hiding. The noise level was savage and it certainly lifted the players too (not enough in the end) but it could be fantastic for the irish team too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Have to say I agree with the poster above who says Croker will be a bit of a damp squib.atmosphere there is always a bit dead. add to that the fact that one end of the ground will probably be closed and the stands will be far away from the pitch. dont think it is goin to bother other teams playin there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast