Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 218

Thread: European Championships Draw

  1. #1
    Seasoned Pro Réiteoir's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Location
    En By - Ett Lag...
    Posts
    3,179
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    247
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    79
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

    European Championships Draw

    11.15 on Friday morning we find out just how tricky the road to er, Switzerland and Austria is going to be.

    The UEFA Website reckons it will only take 16 minutes - if thats true i'll eat my trousers.

    50 countries will be drawn into 1 group of 8 and 6 groups of 7

    The countries have been split into pots as follows

    Pot 1
    Greece
    Netherlands
    Portugal
    England
    Czech Republic
    France
    Sweden

    Pot 2
    Germany
    Croatia
    Italy
    Turkey
    Poland
    Spain
    Romania

    Pot 3
    Serbia and Montenegro
    Russia
    Denmark
    Norway
    Bulgaria
    Ukraine
    Slovakia

    Pot 4
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Republic of Ireland
    Belgium
    Latvia
    Israel
    Scotland
    Slovenia

    Pot 5
    Hungary
    Finland
    Estonia
    Wales
    Lithuania
    Albania
    Iceland

    Pot 6
    Georgia
    F.Y.R. Macedonia
    Belarus
    Armenia
    Northern Ireland
    Cyprus
    Moldova

    Pot 7
    Liechtenstein
    Azerbaijan
    Andorra
    Malta
    Faroe Islands
    Kazakhstan
    Luxembourg
    San Marino
    and obviously 1 country from each pot will make up each group.
    The group of 8 will have 2 countries from pot 7.

    One change this time is that there will be no playoffs involved and the top 2 in each Group go straight through to the Finals

    Games will be played from September 2006 to November 2007

    Pretty exciting, huh?
    Kom Igen, FCK...

  2. #2
    Seasoned Pro Réiteoir's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Location
    En By - Ett Lag...
    Posts
    3,179
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    247
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    79
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Best draw for Ireland under the management of SUPER Steve Staunton and his brave band of men (plus Robby Bobson) :

    Republic of Ireland
    Jersey
    Pershore Town
    North Utsire
    Sark
    Craggy Island All-Priests Over 75's Football Team
    Wales
    Last edited by Réiteoir; 26/01/2006 at 12:34 PM.
    Kom Igen, FCK...

  3. #3
    Reserves as_i_say's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Zurich
    Posts
    875
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    i think you'll find it was an over 70s team!
    I

  4. #4
    Reserves Tired&Emotional's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    390
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Plenty of teacups to be thrown around at half-time then when Mrs Doyle gets going.....!!!
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

  5. #5
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,262
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    137
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    218
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Every second rate journo will have already written their "group of death" nonsense no matter who we get. I hope we get the best 1st seed. A team who can beat everyone else in the group easily. Except us of course. 2nd and 3rd seeds hard looking ones again please. Teams that can beat each other. Of the "minnows" much of a muchness. Again I would prefer teams that can and do beat so called "big" nations. We are going to be scrapping for every point to qualify and we will need help from other teams.

  6. #6
    Banned klein4's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    656
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    just out of interest is the reason we dropped to fourth seeds really due to the fact that UEFA have made the amount of teams in each group of seeds smaller? or is there just more teams now?

  7. #7
    Coach eirebhoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    8,638
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    just out of interest is the reason we dropped to fourth seeds really due to the fact that UEFA have made the amount of teams in each group of seeds smaller? or is there just more teams now?
    If there were the same amount of groups as the last Euro Qualifiers we'd have been in Pot 3 going into tomorrow's draw. We'd actually have been one of the higher seeds in Pot 3 too.

  8. #8
    Banned klein4's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    656
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    so what was all the crap about how kerr got us to a fourth seed????????
    lot of rubbish gets spouted as fact that is never questioned.

  9. #9
    Reserves macdermesser's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    706
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    If there were the same amount of groups as the last Euro Qualifiers we'd have been in Pot 3 going into tomorrow's draw. We'd actually have been one of the higher seeds in Pot 3 too.
    We're going to get England. Its inevitable. Bobby Robson, Croke Park etc etc. Wonder can you bet on the sort of thing.

  10. #10
    Youth Team Donegalcelt's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Donegal
    Posts
    156
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    7/1 I suppose for England odds. I'm sure some bookie would take it. This sounds silly but the team i dread getting is Albania. From the so-called minnows, they're by far the best and have always been a real struggle for us.

  11. #11
    International Prospect NeilMcD's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,692
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    so what was all the crap about how kerr got us to a fourth seed????????
    lot of rubbish gets spouted as fact that is never questioned.

    Yeah kerr did not make us a 4th seed however. When he took over we were in a group that we were the 1st seeds in. Taking the last 2 qualifications we have dropped down to the equivalent of 3rd seed.
    In Trap we trust

  12. #12
    Banned klein4's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    656
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    which is where we were at in the campaign before his first one? no?
    so what the hell is your point????????????????????????????????????
    us being first seeds is a very rare occurence and not a hope in hell of us remaining a first seed indefinitely.thrid seeds is totally unacceptable and any manager who finishes third in the group should be fired.. second seeds if we were on a really good run.

    /*end of ill informed and boring rant with no basis in fact*/
    Last edited by klein4; 26/01/2006 at 4:15 PM.

  13. #13
    International Prospect NeilMcD's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,692
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I had no point I was just clarifiying exactly what happened as you seemed a bit confused about the grouping and you had to ask for help in relation to it. Was the Uefa website too hard for you to navigate.
    In Trap we trust

  14. #14
    Banned klein4's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    656
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    miaoww!!!!

  15. #15
    First Team Karlos's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,036
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    us being first seeds is a very rare occurence and not a hope in hell of us remaining a first seed indefinitely.thrid seeds is about rightsecond seeds if we were on a really good run.
    Hilarious - your having a go at me on another thread for saying 3rd in group is our realistic level and then you come here and say you think 3rd seeds is about right for us. To coin your phrase, "If that's not double standards, I don't know what is"
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

  16. #16
    Banned klein4's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    656
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    so by your logic you expect every goup to finish as per the seeding? now who is being naive Karlos? eh??

  17. #17
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,594
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,597
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,574
    Thanked in
    1,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegalcelt
    7/1 I suppose for England odds. I'm sure some bookie would take it. This sounds silly but the team i dread getting is Albania. From the so-called minnows, they're by far the best and have always been a real struggle for us.
    It´s nothing personal against us with Albania, they would make it difficult for any team. Every team would dread a visit to Albania. I would venture that we have a better chance with competitive 'minnows' in the group than with teams like Malta and Faroes who were beaten by the higher ranked teams in every game.

  18. #18
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2003
    Location
    Cambridge, MA, USA.
    Posts
    1,156
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    anyone know if the draw is gonna be live on the radio? ie is it usually?...cant make it to a tv at 10.45...setanta sports have it live in case anyone was wondering........

  19. #19
    First Team
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blackrock, County Dublin
    Posts
    1,103
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    Hilarious - your having a go at me on another thread for saying 3rd in group is our realistic level and then you come here and say you think 3rd seeds is about right for us. To coin your phrase, "If that's not double standards, I don't know what is"
    Don't worry Karlos. Klein4 is anti-everything, pro-nothing. I think most people on this forum have copped onto him at this stage.

    Cue the immature reply ...
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

  20. #20
    First Team Karlos's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,036
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    so by your logic you expect every goup to finish as per the seeding? now who is being naive Karlos? eh??
    Seems like your struggling with your own logic, nevermind mine!

    by your own admission we are unlikely to be first seeds - i.e. by continually finishing first and always qualifying. Second seeds if we have a good run and third seeds are about right according to you.

    So it's clear that in whatever draw would be made (and before Stan even names a squad) we would according to you be the third best team (even worse, 4th best in Uefa eyes).

    Despite you knowing all this you are still demanding that the manager gets sacked if we don't play far beyond our ability and qualify as first or second in his first campaign regardless of what progress is made in how we play or develop over the course of the campaign.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. European U21 Championships
    By Ceirtlis in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26/06/2009, 12:52 PM
  2. Replies: 93
    Last Post: 18/04/2008, 10:58 AM
  3. European Championships 08
    By sligoman in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23/11/2007, 11:01 PM
  4. European Athletics Championships
    By The Stars in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 14/08/2006, 8:44 PM
  5. European Championships Draw
    By akearins in forum Sligo Rovers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27/01/2006, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •