Thread: Irish Times - Dublin clubs in historic ground deal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post Irish Times - Dublin clubs in historic ground deal

Dublin clubs in historic ground deal
    Emmet Malone Soccer correspondent

SOCCER: Bohemians and Shelbourne are believed to be within a matter of days of reaching an historic ground-sharing deal that would involve Tolka Park being sold off and Dalymount Park redeveloped into a modern all-seater stadium at a cost of around €15 million.

The FAI confirmed yesterday they have been overseeing talks which have been in progress for the last four weeks. They declined to comment further but representatives of the two clubs appear to be close to reaching the outline of an agreement that would then be taken away and submitted for ratification by the board of Shelbourne and the membership of their northside rivals.

It is unclear how long the deal might take to finalise but it does now seem the two clubs could both be playing out of the one stadium within a couple of years, something that would mark a major step forward in the implementation of the recommendations of the Genesis report.

"All we can say about the matter at this stage is that they've been talking and have made good progress," said FAI chief executive John Delaney yesterday. "Nothing is certain yet, but if it does happen I think it would be good for football in this country."

It is expected that, assuming a deal can be concluded, a considerable portion of the money raised by selling Tolka Park for redevelopment would be put into the transformation of Dalymount. The Government has previously indicated it would support such initiatives and so the project, which would probably involve the construction of a 12,000 to 15,000 all-seater stadium, is likely to receive substantial public funds.

Shelbourne had already signalled their intention to move out of their Drumcondra home but had previously set their sights on a move to a greenfield site in the northside suburbs.

Across the city, meanwhile, it is anticipated that a rethink by South Dublin County Council will result in the dropping of plans to develop the new stadium at Tallaght for Gaelic games as well as soccer. The possibility of a ground-share there involving St Patrick's Athletic as well as Shamrock Rovers had been hinted at but this would be made more difficult in the event that the GAA also had use of the facility.

It has been reported that the Department of Arts, Tourism and Sport might refuse to provide the funding required to complete the project if the council does not revert to its original plan to develop the ground for football only. A meeting of planners and councillors aimed at resolving the situation is expected to take place over the coming weeks.

"The issue of funding is something for the council and the department to resolve themselves, I couldn't comment on it," said Delaney. "What I would say, though, is that our preference would be that the ground be available for football. If it were, then there would certainly be the possibility of a ground-share while we are looking for somewhere in Dublin to play underage international games and that would certainly be an ideal venue."

While Shelbourne have relocated several times before, St Patrick's Athletic remain firmly rooted in the community of Inchicore where they were founded and there might be fierce resistance from sections of their fan base to any move. The club's chairman, Andy O'Callaghan, is believed to be sympathetic to the idea and Delaney confirmed yesterday very preliminary talks on the matter had taken place.

The proposals come at a time when other Eircom League clubs are also attempting to radically upgrade their facilities. Both Drogheda United and Finn Harps are working towards the construction of new stadiums on out-of-town sites while Athlone Town's is already under construction. Derry City, Waterford United and Cork City are upgrading their venues.

© The Irish Times
    It seems as though it isnt only Shelbourne F.C and Bohemians F.C that are entertainting the notion of ground sharing. There may well be a second ground sharing ground in Dublin.

15,000 all seater stadium would just mean 7,000 seats for both clubs. Nothing spectacular about that. However if its built modularly and to a decent standard it might be a very nice stadium indeed. The devil is in the detail as they say.

Good to hear that the GAA clubs are not being entertained out in Tallaght. Would the saints really move there though ?? Maybe a Bray and Saint Pats might be on the cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This effectively is the shafting of Dublin football fans of whatever hue, with total disregard for the scale of potential support, based on unquestioning acceptance of Genesis.
    These people are playing Russian roulette with Irish football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    same soft spin in the metro. the delaney kite flying operation in full swing.

i reckon its on on the northside at least. too much money involved and i dont think the gypo board (not membership, they will go ape) have the balls to turn it down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Our chairman told us he didn't meet delaney
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The situation at Tallaght is out of our hands, it's a matter between the SDCC, FAI, Department of Sport and St. Pats. The Department have already said that they will not fund the stadium is the GAA are also going to use it. The FAI and Dept want a stadium on the south of the city for football and the GAA, given all the subsidies they continue to get across the country, will have to just accept that.

My personal guess is that Rovers will be in Tallaght next season, at which stage Pats will sell Richmond and construct Phase 2 of the Tallaght stadium. Meanwhile, Shels will redevelop the Shed and Connaught St sides of Dalymount.

It's clearly what Delaney wants and, presuming he can stay in power long enough, I reckon he'll get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The major problem I have with ground sharing is the fact that you are going to have a lot of problems trying to attract two seperate kind of supporters around the one location. Its going to be very hard for Shels to build up a loyal supporter base when they Gypos are already there.

Its ok for Internazionale and A.C Milan. They have an entire city to share and the city is Milan( 4 million including the hinterland) for Christs sake not a small 1.5 million city.

Christ, the FAI have their hands all over the E.L already. Its smells of a dead cat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    tolka and dalymount are less than a mile apart, so thats nonsense to begin.

i dont have a problem with groundsharing per say, if roma and lazio can do it..., but the fact that the FAI are forcing clubs into it on threat of loss of league places.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    The major problem I have with ground sharing is the fact that you are going to have a lot of problems trying to attract two seperate kind of supporters around the one location. Its going to be very hard for Shels to build up a loyal supporter base when they Gypos are already there.

Its ok for Internazionale and A.C Milan. They have an entire city to share and the city is Milan( 4 million including the hinterland) for Christs sake not a small 1.5 million city.

Christ, the FAI have their hands all over the E.L already. Its smells of a dead cat.
    Your masters might have thought of that before forfeiting their natural hinterland. Shels have no roots in their current location. I really don't see how it serves Bohs to help them settle now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley
    I really don't see how it serves Bohs to help them settle now.
    Except that you will presumably get substantial grants to develop Dalymount as a 15,000 all seater stadium.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paudie
    Except that you will presumably get substantial grants to develop Dalymount as a 15,000 all seater stadium.
    And a substantial pay-off from selling 50% of our ground which would make us the richest club in Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    tolka and dalymount are less than a mile apart, so thats nonsense to begin.
    and that doesn't work, which is why shels wanted to move to Donabate (at least publicly). The fact that the grounds are so close has been a major issue and owning stands facing each other in the same ground is hardly gonna solve it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Do the clubs really want a 15,000 seater ground? Tolka is too big as it is.

I think I'd rather a smaller ground and move big european games to Lansdown, even if it's going to be half empty for the game. A half empty stadium on a european night is better than a half empty stadium every league match.
    Last edited by Bald Student; 27/01/2006 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    lads its not been done for the clubs. Read Delaney's comments in the IT thy want smaller stadiums for underage games, cup finls and smaller internationals
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There is a 20,000 seater stadium going out in Abbotstown btw. Who is going to use that ? Shels or someone could move there ?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    There is a 20,000 seater stadium going out in Abbotstown btw. Who is going to use that ? Shels or someone could move there ?
    That's news to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Notice none of the FAi statements/leaks mention Dalymount, maybe you'll both be out there...
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Its going to be for U21's and training as well. Thats where the new football acadamy is going also.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Ground sharing based on current location of Bohs & Shels makes sense as neither lcub really attracts much support from immeadiate locality.

Can Dalymount be improved to 15k as current stand only holds 3k & would be difficult to expand the other 3 sides to take even 3k each?

I think this stadium may be in lieu of Abbotstown as clearly be no need for both stadiums.

If could get 12k seats in Phibsboro would it attract Leinster for Heineken Cup games as Donnybrook only holds 7k i think...?

I heard talk of temporary ground share until Shels get new stadium completed in north dublin. Could this be still on the cards?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    If could get 12k seats in Phibsboro would it attract Leinster for Heineken Cup games as Donnybrook only holds 7k i think...?
    Donnybrook is being expanded and phibsborough is on the north-side. Also, three teams, one rugby, in a stadium is a bad idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm Undecided on this, On one hand the prospect of dalymount becoming a 15,000 seat stadium with good facilities is certainly enticing and could and I stress Could contribute to raising attendances. On the other hand if as rumour suggests ground sharing is a stepping stone to a Bohs/Shels merger or amalgamation or what ever fancy term they use these day's then obviously it's a big no no as I'm sure fans of both club's will agree. In reality though do we really need two half empty stadiums a mile apart ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast