Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Coaching Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    But I think there should be some degree of competitiveness for the kids.
    Kids dont need competitive competitions.Its naturally in them
    every second week i have to stop the training matches because they
    are kicking lumps out of each other like its the world cup
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hoops1, Great point about the kickouts. I can already see the Pro's and Cons but in principal its spot on.

Drummerboy, don't take me up wrong, Brady is a legend but in the same context that you think I was a bit harsh on him i gaurantee you allot of good hard working volunteer coaches feel he was a bit harsh with his comments. Its not through a lack of wanting from good people that they go on coaching coarses etc. Bradys statment that back in his day Irish players were playing for the top clubs? Finnan, O Shea, Keane, Duff, Reid etc. The problem isn't with the Irish Players, the problem is that all the top clubs in England are managed by foreign managers who in turn usually only buy foreign players. They normally have scouts from there own countrys which in turn has a knock on effect on us. When is the last time you saw any "legend" going out to a park and put there expertise to use.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MervilleUnited View Post
    Totally agree with you, the pressure on young children is immense. The attempt at non-competitive football for U10s in my area has been problematic, with parents pulling players away unless the right "Result" is maintained.

The reality is that the FAI need to take control directly of the adminstration, by professionals, of the Under Age game. No critisim of any of the volunteer officials at local League level (I am one myself ), but in this age of marketing and branding, allied by more and more professional attitudes by the GAA and IRFU, a system, run by independents, that rewards the correct playing of the game, rather than the score, needs to be implemented. Maybe somthing like Playerzone!

We are heading the way of Scotland a few years ago, and the Scottish Parliment took action, with big funding now in place. Lokking at Derry the other night, we are still light years behind the mainland teams in terms of ability to keep hold of the ball.
    Where the **** is the mainland?

Brady is spot on as usual. We need the kids to be taught properly how to pass the ball not lumping it.

It's hard when you have the parents screaming at them who learn all they know about the game from sky sports.

Kids under 10 should not be playing competitive football. That's a joke. Would go aloing with hoops1 there. Some good points.

But will the authorities grab the nettle and start over? All football played in this country should be played at the same time as the senior domestic league.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldo1977 View Post
    Hoops1, Great point about the kickouts. I can already see the Pro's and Cons but in principal its spot on..
    Id be very interested to hear your views on the cons.
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think you might face a few small problems.

1. The fact that a young child couldnt throw the ball that far could lead to opposition coaches using pressing tactics and bogging a team down in its own area. If one team was stronger than the other this would have a very negitive effect on on their young minds if every time you throw the ball out its coming straight back in at you. You might find a lack of GKs in the long run too!

2. To counter act point 1, managers would then get the goalie to throw the ball out and whoever gets it would hack it up the field because all of the opposition team would be in the one half!

At a young age it really is all about playing. Kids need to work through different scenarios and with experience and guidence progress along the right track.

I actually think that the throw out idea is a cracking one and would look to put restrictions on opposition teams to get the benifit of this tactic ie when theres a kick out only 2 players from the opposition are allowed in the attacking half, this would create a 5 v 2 scenario!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I think you might face a few small problems.

1. The fact that a young child couldnt throw the ball that far could lead to opposition coaches using pressing tactics and bogging a team down in its own area. If one team was stronger than the other this would have a very negitive effect on on their young minds if every time you throw the ball out its coming straight back in at you. You might find a lack of GKs in the long run too!

2. To counter act point 1, managers would then get the goalie to throw the ball out and whoever gets it would hack it up the field because all of the opposition team would be in the one half!

At a young age it really is all about playing. Kids need to work through different scenarios and with experience and guidence progress along the right track.

I actually think that the throw out idea is a cracking one and would look to put restrictions on opposition teams to get the benifit of this tactic ie when theres a kick out only 2 players from the opposition are allowed in the attacking half, this would create a 5 v 2 scenario!

I agree 100% with all you are saying.Because thats exactly what happens.The way i TRY to get around it is to have the GK doing everything as quick as possible. Sometimes its hard for them to do it at such a tempo but when it works well we normally win. As the opposition are on there knees in the second half because every time they attack and dont score or they are chasing back twice as quick. Alot of the time it ends up we get 4 or
    5 passes it breaks down and they get a shot, but if our keeper does manage to save it we can alot of the time work it the length of the pitch.It tends to
    lead to games where we either get hammered or hammer the opposition there
    is no middle ground
    Last edited by hoops1; 05/10/2006 at 2:38 PM.
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A good tip if you are getting to play from the back is to practice getting your midfielders to push onto the half way line every time there is a kick out. This will draw the oppositions midfield away and in turn give you better options to play it out. What will happen is if your GK can get it out quickly and your FB's are aware of the situation they can determine -

A) Dribble out because there is little to no resistance or
    B) if the opposition Midfield haven't followed your Midfield back then get it up to them quickly and put the opposition under serious pressure.

I guarantee you that you will soon hear the opposition manager shouting at his players to stick with our midfielders!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    You know your stuff!
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    From next season, the DDSL are scrapping cup competitions from under 10 downwards.
    Why bother having these cups in the first place? Absolutely no need for U.9 competitive football. Trouble is in Westport, there is indoor football starting up on Saturday with small kids and there will be cups, medals and trophies for them.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I have an interest in becoming a manager when I'm older, but I'd have to start at the bottom first though obviously. I've found this thread to be very informative and has given me knowledge of what coaching children is all about.

I want to get into coaching a youth team asap and I'm wondering what's the best way to go about this? Do you need any basic coaching badges or can you start right away? Any tips on starting off would be greatly appreciated as well.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    I have an interest in becoming a manager when I'm older, but I'd have to start at the bottom first though obviously. I've found this thread to be very informative and has given me knowledge of what coaching children is all about.

I want to get into coaching a youth team asap and I'm wondering what's the best way to go about this? Do you need any basic coaching badges or can you start right away? Any tips on starting off would be greatly appreciated as well.

Go to your local kids football team, believe me they are always on the look out for new coaches, whether it is to coach a team, or just help an existing coach in training etc. What will usually happen, is they may send out on the FAI Kick Start 1 coaching course, which is an intro to coaching kids..

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    One thing I think should be standard is well, is not to pigeon hole kids into a position. When playing practice matches I think every player should have a chance to play in all positions, even the keeper. Obviously when they are 5/6 its free for all, but when they get 7 or 8, they become aware of when they need to defend etc, so for example being defender, one week, the next week, he/she should be thrown up front, gives them a different view of the game..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop View Post
    Where the **** is the mainland?
    KOH
    Sorry That Typo makes me look like a west Brit!

I meant to say Mainland Europe! I was over in yorkshire a couple of years ago helping out at a Under Age Tournament, and the coolness on the ball, the vision, the keeping of posession of the Mainland European Lads was simply amazing. One Danish team of 12 year olds could pass up to 30 times during posession without losing the ball, and they won thier section playing against "Blood and Thunder" syles that lose possession more than they win it!

And after last nights performance in Cyprus, it is most certainly back to the drawing board!
    Football is a Simple Game, complicated by fools - Brian Clough

All Sligo Leitrim Youth & Schoolboys Info is live on http://homepage.eircom.net/~mervilleafc/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Coaching

Hi,would just like to say this is my 1st year coaching ,im currently managing a u7 side and completed my kickstart 1 in the summer ,and have found this information useful

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Coaching Positive Attitude

Any of you out there any ideas on getting the right attitude among U12s? Some of our lads seem, in relative to other teams, lack an urgency, especially in regard to getting back to cover when on the defensive. And when a goal goes in the blame game starts, which results in morale falling away.

The talent is there, so its a major failing in our game!

Suggestions? PS, we warm up in a fashion that leads to quick passing and tackling, but it seems to evaporate!
    Football is a Simple Game, complicated by fools - Brian Clough

All Sligo Leitrim Youth & Schoolboys Info is live on http://homepage.eircom.net/~mervilleafc/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Set a team moto - When we have the ball we are all attackers, when we dont have the ball we are all defenders.

A great drill to help with this that I religiously practice is when you have your match during training set a line of cones down at half way. Then set the following rules -

1. You can only score when all your team is over the half way. (this encourages the attacking team to go forward as a group and in turn stay close as a unit. When they lose possession there shouldn't be too many gaps)
    2. If the team scores then everyone on the opposing team does 10 press ups.
    3. give each player a player to mark, if they score OR set up a goal they do 10 extra press ups.

Build this into your practice sessions and I gaurantee you will see a big difference after 3/4 weeks.

This will be down to the fact that if the players don't track back they will keep doing press ups. This in turn will lead to your defenders and midfielders working harder to get back and will gradually lead to your forwards having to do it to because normally they dont track back and the oppsitions scores.

This will create an arguement in the team about teamwork and tracking back but hopefully this will have a positive knock on effect for you.

In relation to warm ups change it for 2/3 matches where it is all fun orientated and see does this have an effect. I have found before that if a warm up gets too competitive it can drop off during a match were as, if its fun orientated you will get more out of them in the game for longer.

This doesn't always work for teams but it might work for yours. Try it out and let me know how you get on with your training

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Set a team moto - When we have the ball we are all attackers, when we dont have the ball we are all defenders.

A great drill to help with this that I religiously practice is when you have your match during training set a line of cones down at half way. Then set the following rules -

1. You can only score when all your team is over the half way. (this encourages the attacking team to go forward as a group and in turn stay close as a unit. When they lose possession there shouldn't be too many gaps)
    2. If the team scores then everyone on the opposing team does 10 press ups.
    3. give each player a player to mark, if they score OR set up a goal they do 10 extra press ups.

Build this into your practice sessions and I gaurantee you will see a big difference after 3/4 weeks.

This will be down to the fact that if the players don't track back they will keep doing press ups. This in turn will lead to your defenders and midfielders working harder to get back and will gradually lead to your forwards having to do it to because normally they dont track back and the oppsitions scores.

This will create an arguement in the team about teamwork and tracking back but hopefully this will have a positive knock on effect for you.

In relation to warm ups change it for 2/3 matches where it is all fun orientated and see does this have an effect. I have found before that if a warm up gets too competitive it can drop off during a match were as, if its fun orientated you will get more out of them in the game for longer.

This doesn't always work for teams but it might work for yours. Try it out and let me know how you get on with your training
    I used this a few weeks ago with u14's after I saw it at a coaching course and thought I worked very well after about 2 weeks of practice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12