Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Eircom League votes on radical revamp

Eircom League votes on radical revamp

Wednesday January 25th 2006

Gerry

McDermott

THERE will be no promotion or relegation in the Eircom League next season if a radical proposal is adopted.

However, there is no guarantee that any of the 12 clubs playing in the Premier Division this season will still be there when the 2007 campaign kicks off. The motion, which will be placed before the Eircom League Management Committee on Saturday, is the first formal step on the road towards a full merger between the FAI and the Eircom League and the advent of a totally revamped Eircom League in 2007.

Under the terms of the merger, the 22 existing members of the Eircom League would wind it up at the end of the 2006 season and then re-apply for membership of the new FAI-run National League in 2007.

The FAI intends to retain the two-tier league system but will impose stringent criteria for acceptance into the Premier Division, with the 2006 league placings only forming part of that criteria.

Under their proposal, the top two teams in the First Division would be ranked 11th and 12th in the League with the bottom two in the Premier Division ranked at 13th and 14th.

Saturday's motion will require a two-thirds majority before proceeding to a special general meeting of the clubs in February where it will need the same two-thirds majority to get it through.

© Irish Independent
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ & http://www.unison.ie/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A whole new ball game
    Cork City celebrate winning last season's league title but some clubs are now worried about changes being made to the competition

Wednesday January 25th 2006

Soccer

LAST September, the strategic management consultants Genesis painted a bleak picture of the Eircom League and described it as being trapped in a downward spiral.

Its White Paper recommended proceeding with the proposal that the League merge with the FAI and we've now reached the point where a decision has to be made.

On Saturday, the Eircom League Management Committee will be asked to approve a declaration of intent in relation to the merger and agree to several key points.

These include provisions for the 2006 season, including no promotion or relegation, and agreement to wind up the Eircom League at the end of the season.

The clubs have been asked to agree to apply for membership of the new FAI-run National League and accept that finishing positions in 2006 will form part of the criteria for determining the structure for 2007.

The Eircom League clubs accepted the findings and recommendations of Genesis but it's the manner in which the league is going to operate post-merger that is now causing concern.

And that could pose difficulties for the merger as Saturday's proposal will have to be put before a Special General Meeting next month and will need a two-thirds majority to pass.

Other than the sporting criteria, the draft document circulated to clubs yesterday does not outline what other criteria will be used to decide which clubs are accepted into the new FAI-National League and that's what is causing most angst.

Some clubs say they are reluctant to vote on a proposal when they don't know what the full picture is, while others believe that the entire League should put their faith in the FAI and their Chief Executive John Delaney.

However, there are certainly some key questions which need to be answered.

Why do we need a merger?
    According to Genesis, the FAI is best-placed to ensure that the Eircom League is run for the benefit of football in Ireland. In addition the FAI has greater resources which would be directed towards the League.

What will it entail?
    The FAI will appoint the management team to run the League and will decide the rules and regulations. Clubs would sign a participation agreement and would have to abide by those rules and regulations.

What will the League look like in 2007?
    There will be a Premier Division and a First Division. The Premier will have ten or 12 teams with the remainder in the First Division.

How will they be selected?
    All 22 clubs will apply for membership of the new FAI-run Eircom League and the FAI will use soon to be formulated selection criteria to decide which clubs it will put into the Premier Division with the rest making up the lower flight. League positions in 2006 will only form part of the criteria. The rest is likely to centre around facilities, business plans, level of support and marketability.

Will there be any surprises?
    Yes. Some clubs currently in the Premier Division might not make the cut because they don't have high levels of support, their facilities are not up to standard or they don't have the potential to attract investment. They might conceivably win the Premier Division next season but if they don't fulfil the other yet to be announced requirement they won't be in the top flight.

Is this going to be a beauty contest?
    It all depends on the criteria. Some clubs already feel that their faces don't fit and they have no chance of making the 2007 Premier Division especially as they will only have a few months to try and make up ground on the rest.

Can First Division clubs be promoted after 2007?
    Yes. The First Division champions will be entitled to replace the bottom team in the Premier but only if they fulfil all the criteria needed to play in the top division. If they can't do that then the bottom team survives.

The bottom team in the First Division will face a play-off against the winners of a round-robin play-off featuring intermediate teams eager to climb the footballing ladder.

What will the First Division be like from 2007?
    Hard to know but few are predicting it is going to get better than it is. At present it is a footballing wilderness and the feeling is that from 2007 onwards the Premier Division is going to reap all the benefits making the gap between the Premier and First Divisions evenlarger than it is at present.

Will we have some franchise areas?
    That's not clear at the moment. Franchise areas would make sense as it would allow the Eircom League club to sit at the top of the football pyramid in their respective areas. We won't know until the full criteria is worked out but it appears unlikely.

What will be the benefits of an FAI-run League?
    Well, the long term objective is for the top division to contain full-time professional clubs which will improve the standard of football, make a greater impression in European competition and supply players to the international team. Government support will be sought to improve facilities with the aim of attracting more people to the game.

The FAI will properly market the game and that should attract more sponsors as well as bigger crowds and increased media interest.

© Irish Independent
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ & http://www.unison.ie/

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Picking teams based on subjectives like potential support, potential investment? No targets, no minimum levels, just on a ranking.

If this happens I'm out of eL football, as this would basically become franchise football.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Well said. I understand football is a business and it really does need to be treated as such but there is always room for the small shop on the corner thats convienent for the locals.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme
    Well said. I understand football is a business and it really does need to be treated as such but there is always room for the small shop on the corner thats convienent for the locals.
    I've no problem with minimum infrastructure standards, or finance (They could start with implementing their own licence ffs), it's all the subjective nonsense like marketability, support levels, potential investment that I really object too.

How are they going to calculate, who's going to decide, how are they going to decide, when are clubs going to know what they have to achieve, can they ever know what they have to achieve if it based on ranking not absolutes?

Clubs should reject this out of hand until they get something concrete from the spoofer.

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    its impossible to pick out who should be in premier or first

its totally unfair too

nobody wants shams in the premier division right!nobody

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What a complete load of crap although with the FAI involved how surprised can you be.It's clear that they still have no idea how football works.
    "At the age of twelve, my ambition was to become a gangster. To be a wiseguy was better than being President of the United States. To be a wiseguy was to own the world." - Henry Hill

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    "The FAI will properly market the game"

Highly debatable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wild rover
    its impossible to pick out who should be in premier or first

its totally unfair too

nobody wants shams in the premier division right!nobody
    are you implying this shambles is us manipulating the FAI/EL/clubs behind the scenes? grow up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    One of the many problems I have with this is that it mixes two seperate issues. The FAI and the eL already have the ability to market the league properly, regulate club finances and set minimum infrastructure standards. They have chosen not to do that in the past and there is no good reason why they need to set stupid league structures to do it in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    as an aside, this wont happen as too many prem clubs know they will be relegated on all the other criteria (fan potential, investment, stadia etc) so will vote no regardless. can you see CHF in the prem by these criteria?

for the record, i think sorting promotion/relegation anywhere other than on the pitch is unfair. if these other criteria are to be implemented, it should be in relation to whether a team is in the EL in the first place, and once in, let it happen on the pitch.

hairbrained FAI nonsense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Something radical does need to happen. But whilst the big clubs will be in favour as long as its done right, I can't see the turkeys voting for Christmas (ie the small clubs).

I'm in favour as long as it isn't full on regional franchising.

I've no problem with requiring infrastructure and administration requirements for the Premier League which are above those that some Premier League teams currently have in place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Can First Division clubs be promoted after 2007?
    Yes. The First Division champions will be entitled to replace the bottom team in the Premier but only if they fulfil all the criteria needed to play in the top division. If they can't do that then the bottom team survives.
    It'll basically become what happened in the Guinness Rugby Premiership back in England over the past few years - and the SPL relegation nonsense (involving ICT and Livingston iirc)

The bottom team in the First Division will face a play-off against the winners of a round-robin play-off featuring intermediate teams eager to climb the footballing ladder.
    This could be a good idea in principle
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    God bless John Delaney
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy
    I've no problem with requiring infrastructure and administration requirements for the Premier League which are above those that some Premier League teams currently have in place.
    But that's already there, but not implemented. The premier has had minimum requirements on amount of covered seats (for example) going back to the 90's. Licencing further increased infrastructure requirements and added financial critea. Were these implemented? Were clubs sanctioned, relegated or denied promotion?

They now want to add purely subjective critea as well, which is where I have the problem with it. Once the financial and infrastructural side is met, then it should be purely on the pitch - not some bóllox in Merrion Square deciding that Athlone are more marketable than UCD, so we'll let Athlone in the premier and relegate UCD.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    In John we trust...?

I would think things like support are just speculation by the media as sure that would kill off 5-6 team straight away.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    They now want to add purely subjective critea as well, which is where I have the problem with it. Once the financial and infrastructural side is met, then it should be purely on the pitch - not some bóllox in Merrion Square deciding that Athlone are more marketable than UCD, so we'll let Athlone in the premier and relegate UCD.
    Do they? I haven't seen the detail and I think you're being premature.

In any case, you can be as selective as you want without introducing subjective criteria. You just make the infrastructure, finance and administrative criteria so onerous that you know certain clubs can't comply.

If this gets shot down by the clubs at a vote, I can see a breakaway All-Ireland League getting a few steps closer, led by some of the EL's bigger clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "The FAI will properly market the game"
    If they (or the League) did that in the first place we would have been spared the various zany schemes we've been subjected to over the last 20 years with the attitude that "ah sure it couldn't be any worse than the way things are now..."

Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie
    Highly debatable
    I agree.

Setting rigorous standards for minimum acceptable facilities, etc. is acceptable but if we go down this route where John Delaney (or whoever) subjectively decides who should be in an elite division - with the obvious insinuation that UCD, CHF will be thrown out to make way for faded giants like Shamrocks/Dundalk is ridiculous.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The point about an all ireland league is a valid one. It would represent a genuine improvement on the current set up. The problem is that the propoed structures represent no improvement and there is no reason why they should be tied to basic things like marketing and infrastructure improvements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    I have one suggestion.....all of you fans, talk to your committees and make sure they know your views on this. Debate is good.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast