Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: I don't mean to sound bleak but...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't mean to sound bleak but...

...it appears the powers that be (or at least wish to be) have ourselves, UCD and Bray lined up for the chop come what may. It seems that there are two large camps of teams approached by the FAI/eL; 1: Who have been promised safe passage to the (new look) Premier Division regardless of promotion relegation ie Shamrock Rovers, Galway United, and existing Prem sides Shelbourne, Longford etc. Group 2 consist of teams who aren't featured in the first draft of the "final solution" ie Cobh, Kilkenny and shockingly enough possibly Bohs. These sides are likely to be demoted/remain in the 1st Division after next season but have been "promised" (and we all know what that's worth) the forthcoming funding from the FAI to improve their infrastructure, accounts etc and will aim to be in a position to enter the "big league" in a matter of years.

There is however a 3rd group that has gone unmentioned (and from what I hear, none of the 3 clubs have received as much as a phone call about the impending vote/shakeup and their place in it) and which the FAI seem quite intent on destroying for good, or at least ensuring such a prolonged period in the wilderness that it is only a matter of time that they fold. These are the above 3 mentioned sides, ourselves, UCD and Bray Wanderers.

Now say what you will about any of those three clubs, but if all three of those sides finish above the relgation zone next season (and it could well happen) and yet go on to be demoted and replaced by a side(s) that did not win promotion then I think that any person with a real interest in Irish football, and perhaps above all else, the spirit of fair play could only view that as a sporting travesty and a travesty of justice.

We can only pray that either the vote is rejected (as none of the clubs have any idea what proposals they're actually voting on) or that (from my point of view) our club finish so high up the table that it is simply ludicrous, or that Bohs and us reach a 4/5 year agreement vis-a-vis Dalymount. And on that last point, it seems highly unlikely judging by the reports about Shels and Bohs talking on Aertel...Sad times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Ah well! There's always the Leinster Senior League
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Any idea what Mr. Seery is going to do about it? He's not exactly a man to take things lying down. I wasn't aware of it being a 3 tier situation. That's grave news indeed if it's true.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Any idea what Mr. Seery is going to do about it? He's not exactly a man to take things lying down.
    There's not a whole lot he CAN do about it, in fairness. He's been pretty shrewdly out-manoeuvred by Delaney (with the complicity of narrowminded eL chairmen.) Avenues of redress are few, if any. I was rather hoping UCD would have the acuity and wherewithal to challenge this...

Drummerboy, shouldn't you be off pimping the Morton Stadium to all-comers as usual?
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's pretty much my understanding as well.
    The FAI are certan to not get it passed in a fair vote as seven clubs are need to vote against and the FAI have more than that chalked down for removal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan

Drummerboy, shouldn't you be off pimping the Morton Stadium to all-comers as usual?
    Not to you lot Sheridan, took too long to get the rent off you the last time.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Any idea what Mr. Seery is going to do about it? He's not exactly a man to take things lying down. I wasn't aware of it being a 3 tier situation. That's grave news indeed if it's true.
    Well from my limited understanding of it, he has been spearheading the "No campaign" if you like for the last number of weeks. He has contacted all clubs likely to be in line for a shafting and has tried to establish a united front. It it now likely to be left (though not in the whole) to the others to spread the word, canvas what clubs they can and try and swell the "no" camp. However battling against the odds and against Delaney's winged monkey's and promises of bounty to come, I'm afraid I'm struggling to see a way out.

This may never come to pass, some of the big clubs might whift the pungent odour of bullsh1t surrounding this entire debacle and get cold feet, you can't be sure. But if these three clubs are cut adrift and left to die then (possibly mergers aside) the future is more than uncertain. The fact that none of this will be decided on the pitch, but rather in shady meetings and over telephone calls made to the exclusion of legitimate Premier Division clubs makes me sick personally.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan
    I was rather hoping UCD would have the acuity and wherewithal to challenge this...
    We are, as far as I know.