Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Willie J. Doyle

  1. #1
    Coach Poor Student's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,959
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    213
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

    Willie J. Doyle

    Is he staying with us? I am actually wondering could he be like a new signing to us? I mean after his last season and a half of misery he would now have a proper chance to face a season fit. Is he good enough for the Premier? We've lost at least two forwards in Murphy and Dupuy so this does immediately push him up the list. There's also talk of Martin being on the way to Longford. He is our most prolific striker in one season, perhaps he's the answer to our striking worries?

  2. #2
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    33,075
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,804
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,627
    Thanked in
    2,245 Posts
    Haven't heard of anyone signing him, so can only assume he's still with us. I'd like to see Podge and Robbie up front, with Paul Byrne pushing close (and probably pushing Robbie rather than Podge at this stage). Then you've got Willie J and Conan, which is a decent bit of strength in depth. Or depth, at least...

  3. #3
    Banned
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,822
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Willie J got burned by his last escapade away from Belfield. Methinks he will stay put take stock and regain his reputation. Which could only be good from a UCD standpoint and from a WJ Doyle standpoint!

  4. #4
    Capped Player Schumi's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    A difficult place to get three points
    Posts
    10,742
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    203
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    351
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I wasn't too impressed with WJ last year. I don't see why he wouldn't have been fit either.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

  5. #5
    Coach Poor Student's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,959
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    213
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi
    I wasn't too impressed with WJ last year. I don't see why he wouldn't have been fit either.
    He wouldn't have been fit for us since the resigning as he barely played for Waterford and barely played for us. He now has the chance to enter the new season with a fresh start if he stayed.

  6. #6
    Apprentice ilovejam's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    77
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i think William is signing for Shamrock Rovers quite soon.

    P.S i havenothing to do with ihatejam so you can take it without having to wonder is this another fib

  7. #7
    Banned
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,822
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hmmmm Waterford United in 2005 and Shamrock Rovers in 2006.
    Willie has a knack of signing for cash strapped teams !

  8. #8
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    33,075
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,804
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,627
    Thanked in
    2,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovejam
    i think William is signing for Shamrock Rovers quite soon.
    Gathering pace alright...

  9. #9
    Coach Poor Student's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,959
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    213
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    In that case we're down 3 strikers in Doyle (who replaced Whitmarsh who replaced Adrian Murphy), Anto Murphy and Dupuy. That leaves us with McWalter (is he a striker??), Martin (rumoured to be unhappy?), Conon Byrne (not good enough imo) and Paul Byrne (still relatively untested but I have high hopes), Sammon (not good enough I think) and Brophy (not good enough if he's still here). Anyone worried?

  10. #10
    Coach John83's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,831
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    778
    Thanked in
    456 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    In that case we're down 3 strikers in Doyle (who replaced Whitmarsh who replaced Adrian Murphy), Anto Murphy and Dupuy. That leaves us with McWalter (is he a striker??), Martin (rumoured to be unhappy?), Conon Byrne (not good enough imo) and Paul Byrne (still relatively untested but I have high hopes), Sammon (not good enough I think) and Brophy (not good enough if he's still here). Anyone worried?
    Not really. We always have a rubbish attack.

    McWalter is definately a striker, and I withdraw anything nasty I've ever said about him there - he's come on a lot this last year. Martin will probably stay and we're allegedly looking for a striker anyway.

    Has Adrian Murphy been released? He was only farmed out on loan last year.
    Vaccinated.

  11. #11
    Coach Poor Student's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,959
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    213
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I'd imagine Murphy was only on a one year contract. The thing about Pat, yeah I felt his game was coming on throughout the season but at most he's a 10 goals a season striker. I'm well aware we've nearly always had poor strikers but at the end of the day we were only a whisker away from the playoffs and poor strikeforce played a major part in it. A couple of key injuries to the defence like last time and we'll be leaking them in and not scoring.

  12. #12
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    33,075
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,804
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,627
    Thanked in
    2,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    The thing about Pat, yeah I felt his game was coming on throughout the season but at most he's a 10 goals a season striker.
    Don't knock ten-goal-a-season strikers in this league. Podge got 7 in the league last season, I think, which actually made him joint-eighth top scorer in the league. Two players were on eight; only five players in the entire league managed more than 10. If we could get another seven-goal-a-season striker, we'd be doing alright.

  13. #13
    Coach Poor Student's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,959
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    213
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Don't knock ten-goal-a-season strikers in this league. Podge got 7 in the league last season, I think, which actually made him joint-eighth top scorer in the league. Two players were on eight; only five players in the entire league managed more than 10. If we could get another seven-goal-a-season striker, we'd be doing alright.
    If you really harbour any ambitions of that 6th next season you predicted then settling for joint 8th top scorer probably won't do. It might do while the defence remains solid. We'll see, I'd be gladly proved wrong but I reckon it's the bottom 4 for us.

  14. #14
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    33,075
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,804
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,627
    Thanked in
    2,245 Posts
    Longford's top scorer had 4. Drogheda's had 8. Bohs' had 7. I think what we missed last year was someone to score goals from outside the front two. Our midfielders and defence didn't contribute as many as they normally do. And obviously our defence was more porous than in recent years. Though obviously a more prolific goalscorer wouldn't go amiss.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Joined
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,822
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Longford's top scorer had 4. Drogheda's had 8. Bohs' had 7. I think what we missed last year was someone to score goals from outside the front two. Our midfielders and defence didn't contribute as many as they normally do. And obviously our defence was more porous than in recent years. Though obviously a more prolific goalscorer wouldn't go amiss.
    Ok lads in our entire EL history we have only had a handful of 10+ goals a season strikers. The club record is 15 and that was only set 2 years ago.
    Mick O'Byrne's 14 from 1994/95 and 1995/96 stood for almost a decade
    And the year Martin Moran became the first one to record 10 (1980/81) he was playing centre-half and was taking the penalties into the bargain. And that record stood for 10 seasons !
    On several occasions the top scorer at the club has been a midfielder.
    John Cullen (1983/84),Mark McKenna (1987/88 and 1988/89) and in more recent years Ciaran Martyn and Tony McDonnell have also topped the scoring charts.

    Any time we get a half decent striker ( e.g. Robbie Doyle) he gets signed up by a bigger club usually!

Similar Threads

  1. Willie Doyle
    By passinginterest in forum Wexford FC
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 29/03/2008, 1:28 AM
  2. Willie Doyle
    By theworm2345 in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09/01/2007, 1:48 PM
  3. Willie Doyle
    By Tir Oilean in forum Shamrock Rovers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28/07/2006, 2:16 AM
  4. Willie Doyle gone
    By pineapple stu in forum UCD
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04/02/2006, 12:04 PM
  5. Willie Doyle
    By Roo69 in forum UCD
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09/08/2004, 10:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •