Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Love Ulster March

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aido_b
    Just wondering as to why Orangemen have as much of a right as anyone else to march down O Connell St? I don't mean that in an argumentative way, I'm just wondering as to why?
    Equality means that everyone is treated the same, wheather they're orangemen or not. A lot of cultural and political organisations have marched in O'Connell Street, Orangemen should be treated no differently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    I think the worst thing we could do is to take this seriously. In fact I think we should make our fellow countrymen most welcome. I suggest we even provide tea and biscuits for them. Anyone got any jaffa cakes ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I Googled 'loyalist march dublin' - wasn't too happy at seeing some of the stuff that came up

We moved down here to get away from those nutters and to give our kids a future in an environment where there was a chance of mutual respect.

Lot of the moderate Prods in the North have left (to come and live in places like south Co Dublin ) or have opted out of any involvement in political activity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anto McC
    The only reason they want to do this is to get a reaction from barstool republicians,if nobody reacts,then the march was pointless
    Exactly.

These sort of people love spreading the myth that the Republic is an evil popish state where protestants are driving from their homes by Arch-Bishops and balaclavad men with rosary beads. If they come and go andc no-one gives a feck, they'll actually be disappointed.

I hope this march happens and proves to be the non-event it deserves to be. It'll be another myth about the 'evil Republic' quashed, one less reason against an all-island state, and yet another step closer to peaceful coexistence on this island. Here's hoping the armchair Republicans don't feck it up by travelling miles to be offended...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by REVIP
    I Googled 'loyalist march dublin' - wasn't too happy at seeing some of the stuff that came up

We moved down here to get away from those nutters and to give our kids a future in an environment where there was a chance of mutual respect.
    I typed the same thing into google(.com) and the first link was an advert to the march on a "White PRide World WIde" forum..........don't think the white pride lads on that march are to concerned about mutual respect.

....or do racists have as much right as anyone to march down O'Connell Street??
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    I am very happy about the bombings in Dublin. There is a war with the Free State and now we are laughing at them'.
    Pete-I haev removed the "Quote Liam 88 bit" because I've retracted that quote (on a technically). Remove yours an I'll remove mine.
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Donegal hosts Orange marches every year and they pass off without any hassle and bring in much needed revenue.I have a feeling though this could be hijacked by some sinister elements out to prove it is impossible for Unionists to express themselves in the Republic.However the biggest cretins on view will be the Republican protestors who will be too thick to realise that they will be playing into the hands of "told you so" Loyalists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    Exactly.

These sort of people love spreading the myth that the Republic is an evil popish state where protestants are driving from their homes by Arch-Bishops and balaclavad men with rosary beads. If they come and go andc no-one gives a feck, they'll actually be disappointed.

I hope this march happens and proves to be the non-event it deserves to be. It'll be another myth about the 'evil Republic' quashed, one less reason against an all-island state, and yet another step closer to peaceful coexistence on this island. Here's hoping the armchair Republicans don't feck it up by travelling miles to be offended...
    Yeah, bang on the button, and as Lionel Richie said, "Ignore them".

I can't think of a funnier thing than people here going about their business, shopping, going to the movies to matches etc while those dinosaurs plod their way down the street looking like the irrelevant relics from another era that they are.

I'd love, too, for RTE and TV3 news to plonk the item in their end of news "country round-up" mickey mouse news section at the end of each bulletin just to rub home the irrelevance of it all.

Maybe if they get the message that we in the Republic just don't give a fcuk and that we've "moved on". they might just feel very foolish and out of touch.
    I've often felt that the people in the Garvaghy Estate should have let the Orange marchers traipse down that road while, at the same time, have a huge big Irish festival in the estate with ceilidh music,very loud rock bands and a massive big party with bunting and so on and.....ignore them. I can't think of a bigger put down to the Orangies than a "We don't give a
    sh!te about ye" attitude.
    Then again, I live down here and it's easy for me to say that.
    Maybe I'm out of touch about that but like an immature, spoilt brat, it's attention the Orange Order craves. Leave 'em in a vacuum I say and eventually they'll wither and die off without the oxygen of publicity.
    Ditto those Republican barstoolers.
    Last edited by hamish; 19/01/2006 at 8:25 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve

Again i totally agree with you Steve but with regards to the bit i've highlighted,i dont think armchair republicans will have to travel miles to it,I am a 5 min walk from O'Connell St and unfortunetly,there are plenty of armchair republicans around here already

You know these people who cheer loudest for Celt*c when they are playing Rangers and then ask you to switch over to watch their other team Man u/Liverpool/Chelsea play after,the same people who if you asked them when did Ireland get its independence,will say Easter Monday 1916.These people cant spell History let alone know anything about it and unfortunetly it will be these people,if any,that will give the Orangemen the chance to say told you so!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What I look forward to seeing on the news clips of the march is, on both sides of the street, the pavements thronged with women struggling with piles of shopping bags, youngsters walking along listening to music oblivious to the marchers, lads roaring across the street to each other - "are you coming for a pint?", kids bawling at their mum's for ice cream, couples getting into some serious tonsil evacuations - y'know, all the little things that make up a busy street in any urban area.
    The sheer contrast of that sight of these bowler hatted eejits marching along while all humanity all around them contunues along it's merry way TOTALLY ignoring them.

That would be a lovely sight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marksman
    I'm against protesting, but I'm all for joining in and making it a national pride day for all cultures, to show them that we accept their "culture" as well as anyone elses...whatever their culture is...does it all revolve around The Battle Of The Boyne?

It would be great to have Caribbean bands etc. to help with the party atmosphere. This would take the edge of any protest, as a protest IS what they want.
    If they're not going to be ignored then this is definitley the way to do it. I hereby call upon all our Gay, Lesbian, Bi and TV brethren and sisterhood to join the party. It'd be like (a very weird) Notting Hill or Mardi Gra. who else could we have?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The salsa band that meets somewhere around Mountjoy Square - they're brilliant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    What I look forward to seeing on the news clips of the march is, on both sides of the street, the pavements thronged with women struggling with piles of shopping bags, youngsters walking along listening to music oblivious to the marchers, lads roaring across the street to each other - "are you coming for a pint?", kids bawling at their mum's for ice cream, couples getting into some serious tonsil evacuations - y'know, all the little things that make up a busy street in any urban area.
    The sheer contrast of that sight of these bowler hatted eejits marching along while all humanity all around them contunues along it's merry way TOTALLY ignoring them.

That would be a lovely sight.
    Totally agree with you sirhamish but unfortunatley you are going to get every little scumbag for miles taking it as an opportunity to cause trouble under the pretext of defending the republican cause. There is no way it will pass off peacefully thus playing into the hands of the organisers. They will use it as an example of how everyone in the Republic hates protestants (not just the OO) and will never allow their culture to be recognised and celebrated. I couldn't care less whether they march. Sinn Fein were allowed organse their march there a few months back. I just know it will not pass off without incident
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student
    We live in a Republic; Liberty, Equality, Fraternity. You can't call yourself a republican if you don't hold up these values.

The Orangemen have as much of a right to march down that road as anyone else.
    Not really, being a foreign organisation and all. They can't have it both ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotsy
    Totally agree with you sirhamish but unfortunatley you are going to get every little scumbag for miles taking it as an opportunity to cause trouble under the pretext of defending the republican cause. There is no way it will pass off peacefully thus playing into the hands of the organisers. They will use it as an example of how everyone in the Republic hates protestants (not just the OO) and will never allow their culture to be recognised and celebrated. I couldn't care less whether they march. Sinn Fein were allowed organse their march there a few months back. I just know it will not pass off without incident
    Yeah, Dotsy, I'm afraid you're dead right there. Actually, Marksman'spost just above is a great idea. Bring each and every lifestyle out to.........GREET THEM.

I'd love, too, to see Mr. Pussy and Shirley Temple Barr rush up to the leaders of the march and plant great big lipsticky smacks on their ruddy jowls. That would be a mighty sight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd love, too, to see Mr. Pussy and Shirley Temple Barr rush up to the leaders of the march and plant great big lipsticky smacks on their ruddy jowls. That would be a mighty sight.
    David Norris would be a great speaker to welcome them gay and Protestant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by REVIP
    David Norris would be a great speaker to welcome them gay and Protestant
    LOL - and a politician too. Is he still in the Senate?? Think he is??

Getting a bit surreal - hows about Bertie Aherne welcoming them with a friendly speech - wearing a lovely evening gown. Wish I was able to use that technology you guys use to plant Bertie's head on a that type of garment.

You could throw in too Mary Harney as part of that greeting - wearing a black man's suit with a wispy moustache painted onto her face - kinda like those actors in Madonna's "Justify my love" video. LOL

I'd better stop now - I'm goin places I really shouldn't be going.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    LOL - and a politician too. Is he still in the Senate?? Think he is??

Getting a bit surreal - hows about Bertie Aherne welcoming them with a friendly speech - wearing a lovely evening gown. Wish I was able to use that technology you guys use to plant Bertie's head on a that type of garment.

You could throw in too Mary Harney as part of that greeting - wearing a black man's suit with a wispy moustache painted onto her face - kinda like those actors in Madonna's "Justify my love" video. LOL

I'd better stop now - I'm goin places I really shouldn't be going
    Don't let us stop you. Whatever floats your boat
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotsy
    Don't let us stop you. Whatever floats your boat
    LOL

Funny though, notice how many of us are not taking the whole shebang seriously at all. Jesus, if this conversation was held back in the 70s or 80s, reactions wouldn't be like this.

We've really moved on down here.

A few miles up the road from here is the Aughrim Interpretative Centre - commemorating the Battle of Aughrim. One time, school kids could go there, dress up in Jackobite and Williamite uniforms and indulge in role playing, watch computerised versions of the battle and so on. I think it's half closed now through lack of interest TBH. It had a restaurant as well once and you could buy souvenirs too. Just shows the maturity here with regard to our total history but then we didn't have to deal with (or weren't in the middle of) the same situation as happened/happens up North so we can stand back at bit, so to speak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    If they're not going to be ignored then this is definitley the way to do it. I hereby call upon all our Gay, Lesbian, Bi and TV brethren and sisterhood to join the party. It'd be like (a very weird) Notting Hill or Mardi Gra. who else could we have?
    LR - there's more than a gem of an idea in there. It is nigh-on impossible to cause public disorder whilst listening to Samba music - it's just far too uplifting and intoxicating !

On a more serious note - I've said on this site before that I'd like to see the 12th July celebrated formally in the Republic, including with a Bank Holiday. The Battle of the Boyne was a major event in Irish, European and world history. Think about it - this insignificant little spit of earth on the fringe of the fringe of Europe was the site for one of the major turning points in World History (I say 'world', because to all exdtents and purposes Europe was 'the world' in those days). It'd be like if the atom had first been split in Mohill in Leitrim ! If the 12th hadn't been hi-jacked for petty sectarianism, we'd be lauding it to the hill tops by now !

So I'd like to see it celebrated and commemorated properly and respectfully. That wouldn't mean leaving it to the run-of one-sided Rangers shirt-wearing, billy boys displaying naked sectarianism - but as an event of importance to and involvement of EVERYONE in the 'new' Ireland. And that would involve samba bands from Brazil, steel-bands from Trinidad, West African drum bands etc - ALL playing alongside the Lambeg, the flute, the Ulann pipes and the Bodhran.

It's time to reclaim the 12th of July for what it is - nothing more than an important historical event in the timeline of world history.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast