Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    Dubliners are a peaceful, tolerant lot.
    Marchers representing the United Kingdom are not welcome in the Republic of Ireland. Stay at home. If they didn't know that before, they should know it now.
    Hmmmm..... no contradiction there eh? Are unionists not welcome in a united ireland so? WE need to deport 1 million people then?

Irish people were bombing england for 30 years but the UK authorities didn't deport irish people.

The fact remains is that not enough irish people cared enough about the unionists protest to turn up for a counter protest. I think the weigh of numbers shows that dublin & irish people are willing to move on. SF does not represent a significant percentage of the Republics people as they about as representative as the Greens or PDs.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Dubliners are a peaceful, tolerant lot. There are many different types of protests on the streets of our city every year, whether it be about abortion issues, culchie farmers taking their issues to Leinster House
    Gas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Are they all lunatics, or making a point? I think the latter. That's what happens when governments do what they like, instead of listening to the voice of the overwhelming majority of people they claim to represent.
    Making what point exactly...? If they don't get their way peacefully, they'll go and get in the way...?

The overwhelming majority, eh? It didn't and still doesn't look like it was an overwhelming majority out "counter protesting"...

And one thing they certainly should not listen to is a platoon of general, multi-purpose thugs throwing their fists around because they didn't get their way.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    For what it's worth, a poll taken on the Indo front page today says (roughly to the best of my memory) 35% blame Love Ulster for the riot while 65% blame RSF. Even with a large margin of error it seems pretty clear what the majority think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    For what it's worth, a poll taken on the Indo front page today says (roughly to the best of my memory) 35% blame Love Ulster for the riot while 65% blame RSF. Even with a large margin of error it seems pretty clear what the majority think.
    Another scoop for the Indo I see, I can see the headlines now, 'Rioters Blamed for Riot'. A better poll would have been 'Would you allow Love Ulster to march again?'.

Incidentally there's a great piece in the Guardian comment section today about weighing up freedom of speech against allowing bigots their say

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Staggering that 1/3 of people blame the Unionist protestors instead of rioters themselves. While i can acknowledge people disagreeing with the protest march & saying it encouraged the riot I can't see how you can blame them for the buring cars & attacks on the gardai.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    The message from Irish people in O'Connell Street last week was loud and clear. Marchers representing the United Kingdom are not welcome in the Republic of Ireland. Stay at home. If they didn't know that before, they should know it now.
    A couple of hundred scumbags don't speak for the country. They certainly don't speak for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The message from Irish people in O'Connell Street last week was loud and clear. Marchers representing the United Kingdom are not welcome in the Republic of Ireland. Stay at home. If they didn't know that before, they should know it now.
    What about the two asian men dragged from a shop and beaten, are they not welcome either? Is Charlie Bird welcome?

As far as I'm concerned a few hundred rioters don't represent the irish people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    just take the post for what it is and in context and dont be tryin to infer your own meaning on it.
    I'm sorry its taken so long to get back to this, but what then exactly is ther context that the quote has been taken out of? Of course I have infered my own meaning to it, what exactly are messages boards for if you can't read what some one else has wrote and tried to work out what they meant?

However would you please provide us with and idiots guide on what exactly you are trying to say and also give us a radius of exactly how near the riot you had to be before you can comment with the necessary gravitas on it.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    again I stand by what I said originally. I dont think it was that controversial a point to make. you were just tryin to make some smart arse remark in order to start a row. and now you have come back a couple a weeks later to do the same! pathetic!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Isn't it strange that just about everybody who has an opinion on what happened uses the riot to back up their own preconceived notions.

Check out what thr right-on lefty types think the riot was all about...

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/74528
    Cogito ergo Bohs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Isn't it strange how people often use the opinion of one (unnamed) person to diss an entire philosophy and back up their own preconceived notions?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well God bless you dahamsta. I would have thought you, of all people, would be too busy to read such a long article. But, as it happens, I agree with you, he does seem to pull his notions out of thin air when he characterises the philosophy of the centre-right.

It’s good to get another perspective on the riots though, seeing as the government and media used them to push their own agendas.
    Cogito ergo Bohs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    again I stand by what I said originally. I dont think it was that controversial a point to make. you were just tryin to make some smart arse remark in order to start a row. and now you have come back a couple a weeks later to do the same! pathetic!
    Actually I don't have regular internet access so that's why it took six days to get back to your point, however I was completely unaware that a statute of limitations existed on foot.ie.

Anyways I would have thought that the whole point of a discussion board was to discuss and challenge opinions where you believe that they are wrong. Maybe we should just have a board where everyone agrees with each other no matter how riddiculous people's points are. Do you really think that when your opinions are challenged that it means that people are trying to start an arguement with you?

You stand by what you say, fine, however you fail to should how your point was taken out of context, which was one of your points. If you can't show this then grand, just let the matter drop, if you can show how then please do so and I will read your point with an open mind.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitruvian Man
    Well God bless you dahamsta. I would have thought you, of all people, would be too busy to read such a long article.
    I didn't have to, it was on Indymedia and it started with "I". I don't read Indymedia at the best of times, I certainly don't read Op/Ed on Indymedia, and I consider myself one of those "right-on lefty types" you seem so afraid of. You can be left-wing and think Indymedia is, generally speaking, a waste of space; just like you can be right-wing and think that, generally speaking, Ann Coulter is a demented spawn of the devil.

Categorising philosophies into their extremes is not helpful, or particularly adult imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat O' Banton
    I was completely unaware that a statute of limitations existed on foot.ie.
    Well, one doesn't, however it's not a lot to ask that if you're going to make a point, you hang around long enough to back it up. If you can't do that, whether by choice or by circumstance, perhaps it would be better to wait until you do have the time? Wouldn't we expect the same from our TD's or even participants in a plain jane college debate?

adam
    Last edited by dahamsta; 10/03/2006 at 12:08 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta
    those "right-on lefty types" you seem so afraid of.
    You’re right I didn’t realise how much rank fear was coming through from that one sentence.

To be honest lefties scare me a little bit but, I’ve been hedging my bets and voting Labour in the last 5 or 6 elections so I reckon I’m ok if any revolutions break out. The trouble is I am petrified by those Right-On types. I mean like, how can you insure yourself against them. Look I don’t mind them, they’re well meaning people and all but, you see I did a bit of back-yard burning a couple of years ago. It was only an old bed and some magazines. Yeah, I knew it was kinda wrong but I figured that well it was no big deal compared to the Chemical Corporations and Sellafield and what have you.

But now it’s a different story. With everyone banging on about the environment like its going out of fashion, I keep thinking “what if somebody saw the smoke” – it was at least 40ft high, somebody HAD to have seen it. What if they are writing it down or something? The last thing I need is the country to get all serious about the environment and then find out I’m on some database or something for being a “burner” next thing you know I’m in jail. I’m almost afraid to go out because you never know who THEY are, do you? It’s not like the sixties anymore when they all had goatees and black polo necks.

I’m beginning to think my mother in law is a Right On type – she looks at me all disapproving and stern. I’m pretty sure she saw the smoke from her house in Ashbourne and, come to think of it, she has a goatee. That bitch never thought I was good enough for her daughter and now I’m going to jail for burning that piece of s hit second-hand bed she gave us for the spare room. Some luck I have.

Agree with the extreme catagorisation thing as well. Not very helpful or adult. It’s good to get all the different perspectives on the riots though, helps you make up your own mind.
    Last edited by Vitruvian Man; 10/03/2006 at 2:14 PM.
    Cogito ergo Bohs

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617