Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trundle for Everton

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Trundle for Everton

In the telegraph today that Everton are set to make a bid for the Irish scouser.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    With Bent after moving to Charlton, it's not too surprising. They're a striker down, have the cash from the transfer and Trundle is a life long toffee.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He couldn't have got injured at a worse time. Hopefully Everton still bid for him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He has being out for quite a while now.What appears to be the problem with him? I really hope he goes to Everton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Swansea striker Lee Trundle has pleaded with new Republic of Ireland boss Steve Staunton to hand him a starring role in the remodelled national team.

Since joining Swansea in July 2003, Trundle’s goals have fuelled the club’s revival and he has frequently championed his own case for a Republic cap.

Previous manager Brian Kerr ignored him but Staunton’s appointment has handed the 29-year-old a fresh opportunity to stake his claims.

Trundle qualifies for the Republic through his grandfather and saw his chances apparently boosted over the weekend after Staunton hailed him “a natural goalscorer” in an interview.

The Liverpool-born striker could earn a call-up for the Republic’s first game under Staunton –a friendly against Sweden at Lansdowne Road on March 1.

Trundle said: “I was made up when I read what Steve said about me and hopefully the dream will come true at last.

“Steve made reference to John Aldridge being a late starter on the international stage and hopefully I can make a similar impact.

“I’ve always said that I’ve got the ability to play at the highest level and playing for Ireland would be the next step up.

“I’ve scored goals at every level I’ve played and feel the international stage would perhaps suit me better because the better players have more time on the ball.

“I just want the chance to show what I can do and hopefully Steve will give me the call for the friendly against Sweden.”

Trundle, who is currently nursing an ankle knock, is poised to sign a new long-term deal at Swansea this week, ending speculation about his future.

His 17 goals this season have helped Kenny Jackett’s side to a sustained bid for successive promotions.

They have also attracted admiring glances from several managers in the Coca-Cola Championship, with Sheffield Wednesday having a £750,000 bid turned down last year.

Trundle is confident his status as a League One striker will not prove detrimental to his international prospects, as was the case under Kerr.

He said: “In interviews it has sometimes sounded as though I’m bitter and twisted about not getting a call-up from Brian but that couldn’t be further from the truth.

“I understood why Brian didn’t pick me. He was under a lot of pressure and had to go with players who were already established within the set-up.

“But hopefully it’s going to be a lot different with Steve.

“He’s got the chance to give players a go in friendlies and he knows himself what talent there is in the lower leagues.

“He’s been playing at Walsall in League One and knows what I’m all about.”

Trundle dismissed out of hand the cynical view that he is using his ancestry to forge an international career.

He said: “My grandad is from Inchicore in Dublin and ever since I was a young lad I’ve had my heart set on playing for the Republic.

“He’s dead now but he would be so proud to see me playing for his country.

“I’ve got an Irish heart; my mum’s husband is Irish and I’m over there all the time because I’ve so many family and a lot of close links there.

“I think the last person to question my desire to play for Ireland is Steve Staunton himself.

“If you remember the success of the Ireland team that he played in then it says it all.

“You had the likes of Ray Houghton, Andy Townsend and John Aldridge.

“None of these lads were from Ireland but, like me, they all had Irish blood in them and strong family links. Hopefully I can achieve something similar.”
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/story.asp...n=112621938&x=

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trundle
    “In interviews it has sometimes sounded as though I’m bitter and twisted about not getting a call-up from Brian but that couldn’t be further from the truth.

“I understood why Brian didn’t pick me. He was under a lot of pressure and had to go with players who were already established within the set-up."
    Good man Lee. A spot-on analysis of Kerr's situation which many journos here couldn't, or didn't want to, acknowledge. Staunton with his 4-year contract, an 8-month lead-in to his first competitive game, and the undying love of the FAI Chief Executive is in a very different position with regard to throwing in untested players. We could do with organising a few more friendlies though...

“My grandad is from Inchicore..."
    Sign him up now!
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    just on the whole trundle thing...i was off work sick, ahem, today. Switched on sky sports news at around 440 and they said "coming up after the break an exclusive interview with Lee Trundle and his hopes of playing for ireland"

waited till 6pm for this and they never showed it or even made reference to the sha ggin interview in the whole hour. Fookin wastrils. Sarchastic email written and sent. click.
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say
    just on the whole trundle thing...i was off work sick, ahem, today. Switched on sky sports news at around 440 and they said "coming up after the break an exclusive interview with Lee Trundle and his hopes of playing for ireland"

waited till 6pm for this and they never showed it or even made reference to the sha ggin interview in the whole hour. Fookin wastrils. Sarchastic email written and sent. click.
    They showed a goal of his, that was about it. No interview.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    yeah i saw that-the goal they showed had the guy in the studio voicing over about how they would be talking to him after the break... oh well
    I

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He looks like a very skillful player, cant wait to see him put on the green shirt. At 29 he should be fit enough for the next 2 campaigns and you cant really look much further into the future than that.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Teddy Sheringham got >50 caps for England. He was an undoubted success.

He got his first cap aged 29.

Also, as mentioned elswhere, John Aldridge was a late starter too.

If you're good enough, you're young enough!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The only slight quibble I've got with Trundle's comments:

I’ve always said that I’ve got the ability to play at the highest level and playing for Ireland would be the next step up.
    From League 1. Playing for Ireland is more than one f***ing step up thanks very much mate! Having said that you've got to admire his confidence:

I’ve scored goals at every level I’ve played and feel the international stage would perhaps suit me better because the better players have more time on the ball
    "...and it's Charlie Chaplin on the wing..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    As trundle is a scouser Staunton better watch him around the 102 caps we so often hear about......I'm sure they are of great sentimental value

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    “My grandad is from Inchicore..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint
    Sign him up now!
    That should really be enough to disqualify him.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar
    In the telegraph today that Everton are set to make a bid for the Irish scouser.
    So regardless of whether he stays or goes he'll be in the Championship next year

I hope he gets his move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    So regardless of whether he stays or goes he'll be in the Championship next year

I hope he gets his move.
    Would be great to see him make a move like this but it seems he'll have his work cut out to convice the Toffee fans....

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0600s...name_page.html
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    shouldnt this be in general football?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo

Answers on a postcard please to P.O. Box.....

Probably but just picking up on earlier posts....
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    No, we are discussing the potential transfer of a future ireland international, someone who the manager has quoted will be getting 'a look at'. We have these discussions all the time regarding various players, i simply think that certain members of this forum would prefer that ireland was cast further away from england and had barb wire around the ports and airports so that the only people who could play for ireland were people who were born there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1
    No, we are discussing the potential transfer of a future ireland international, someone who the manager has quoted will be getting 'a look at'. We have these discussions all the time regarding various players, i simply think that certain members of this forum would prefer that ireland was cast further away from england and had barb wire around the ports and airports so that the only people who could play for ireland were people who were born there.

Good spot Livehead1....you might have a point there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast