Click Here

Stockport County are delighted to announce the appointment of Jim Gannon as team manager.

Jim has agreed an initial short-term contract with a view to signing a longer-term deal once the club has started to climb the League 2 table.

In his role as caretaker-manager Jim has been working alongside Peter Ward, another former County player, and he's hoping to appoint Peter as his permanent assistant before Saturday's important game against Rushden & Diamonds.

Gannon said: "I am very passionate towards Stockport County and I feel proud and honoured to be given the opportunity to turn around the club's fortunes."

"I'd like to thank all the players, and the County fans, for their efforts over the last few weeks and I'm sure that working together we'll soon start to move up the table."

County Chief Executive, Kevan Taylor, added: "I am delighted that Jim is taking on the responsibility of managing the team. He was the outstanding candidate and he won the role ahead of a competitive field of prospective managers.

"Jim is a highly qualified coach and we have already seen his motivational and tactical skills at work in County's recent matches. I am very confident that Jim will succeed in moving County up the League 2 table because he has excellent technical qualities supported by a love and desire to achieve success for County.

"Jim is a Stockport County legend and the superb vocal support the fans have given the team since Jim returned to Edgeley Park is an acknowledgement of his status."

Jim Gannon

Born Southwark, September 7th, 1968

Jim Gannon arrived at Edgeley Park from Sheffield United in February 1989 for a then club record £70,000.

During his ten-year career with County he helped the club win two promotions and reach four Wembley Finals.

His 478 senior appearances for the Hatters have only been bettered by two players, Andy Thorpe and Bobby Murray.

The number of games he's played in the League Cup, 37, and Divisional Competitions, 39, are both club records.

Although he played much of his career in central defence, Gannon was also a prolific goalscorer.

Nicknamed 'The Ghost' for his ability to arrive at the far post unnoticed only eight players have scored more than his 64 County goals - a club record for a defender/midfielder.

In recognition of his outstanding service to Stockport County, Jim Gannon became one of the first players to enter the club's Hall of Fame on its inception in 2002.

After ending his English career with a short spell at Crewe Alexandra Jim returned to Ireland for a playing role at Shelbourne.

He then took the managerial reins at Dundalk from May 2003 until November 2005.

He gained the prestigious UEFA A coaching qualification in 2002 and is currently more than halfway towards earning his Pro Licence.