Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Press Conference from RTE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Press Conference from RTE

Steve Staunton has spoken of his determination to repeat the success he enjoyed as a player for the Republic of Ireland after taking over as manager.

Staunton, who will take charge with Bobby Robson acting as International Football Consultant, was a member of the famous side who beat Italy at the 1994 World Cup in the United States.

And after the national team failed to qualify for the forthcoming World Cup in Germany under Brian Kerr, Staunton knows the size of the task he faces.

"To play for and captain your country is an honour and I was fortunate to do both - but to manage them is the ultimate honour," he told this morning's news conference at the Mansion House in Dublin.

He continued: "It is clearly the opportunity of a lifetime for me. I am fully aware of the responsibility placed on my shoulders by the footballing community and I understand the expectations that go with that.

"I know how much football means to the people of this country, we have the greatest fans in the world bar none - I have witnessed it. I was so lucky to have soldiered with them over the years.

"Everyone associated knows the experience of the Giants Stadium against Italy. They are not just memories, they are huge moments in people's lives, mine included.

"We have the same aims - we want success and more of those Giants Stadium experiences. We may be a small country but we have had our experiences, we've been to three World Cups and have achieved a lot through hard graft and a bit of luck."

Robson, who described the appointment as a 'great thrill', is determined not to spend too much time raking over the failure to qualify for the World Cup.

Robson insisted: "That's history. We must not look back, we must look forward. And I'm going to give Stan everything I've got to help him succeed. There's nothing we won't do to try to bring success in Irish football."

Staunton hopes to profit from 72-year-old Robson's vast experience.

He said: "You can't look any further for me (than Robson). He's done everything in the game. He's played at the highest level, coached at the highest level and managed at the highest level.

"If I can't learn something from this man, then I'm not the right man. His experience is going to be vital for me as regards the media - this is my first job outside of playing. And he's got more enthusiasm than some of the 18-year-olds I've trained with recently."
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From Sky Sports

Related links
    Team Pages:

* Republic of Ireland

Steve Staunton is looking forward to the challenge of managing Republic of Ireland after being unveiled on Monday.

The former Liverpool and Aston Villa star was named his country's new manager last week after The Football Association agreed a compensation package with Walsall to secure Staunton's release.

Staunton will be assisted by Sir Bobby Robson, who has been appointed as a consultant to Staunton.

The 36-year-old has signed a four-year deal as he looks to guide Republic of Ireland to Euro 2008.

"It's brilliant to be here. It is an honour to play for and captain your country, but to manage your country is the ultimate honour and is clearly the opportunity of a lifetime for me," said Staunton in a statement.

"I'm fully aware of the responsibility being placed on my shoulders by the footballing community, I also understand the expectations that go with that.

"I know how much football means to people of this country, we have the best fans in the world bar none and that's no word of a lie there when I say that because I've witnessed them.

"I was so lucky to have soldiered with them around the world.

"Football is not just about passion, it's their life and everything to them. As it is for me.

"Anyone associated with the team during the most successful times knows the experiences of Giants Stadium against Italy are not just memories, they are huge moments in people's lives, mine included.

"We were always in this together, the players, management team and the fans.

"We have the same aims. We want success and want to have more of the Giants Stadium experiences.

"We may be a small country but we've had our achievements, been to three World Cups, one European Championships, achieved a lot through hard graft and the odd slice of luck and in particular lots of teamwork.

"We frightened opponents and made them respect us. We were regarded as a team to be wary of and that's something I want to bring back, having been part of the team in those days.

"I am thrilled to lead the new management team being introduced today.

"I'm also delighted to welcome on board my team someone with more experience, expertise and football knowledge than I know. None other than Bobby Robson.

"Bobby's list of achievements and track record at club and international football is second to none.

"I'm particularly pleased he agreed to come on board my team.

"In case there are any doubts on this issue Bobby was first choice, my decision and I'm delighted he's come with me.

"Kevin MacDonald for me is an excellent coach. I've worked with him and he is going to bring enthusiasm, drive, all the characteristics I want from my team and Alan Kelly, I played with him and I know what he will bring to the camp not just goalkeeping skills but everything to do with the person himself.

"I am really looking forward to the challenges ahead and don't underestimate the task in front of us.

"The draw for Euro 2008 takes place at the end of this month and as fourth seeds our qualifying campaign will be against seriously good and in many cases world class opposition, but we are very talented players make no mistake about that and we won't shirk the challenge.

"Don't forget we're all Irish. We all felt huge disappointment in not qualifying for Germany.

"I've experienced the same feelings as players and it's not nice, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and look forward rather than back and we have two great friendlies lined up.

"Sweden next month, Holland later in the year and these games will be ideal preparation for this.

"We will go about the task with confidence, commitment and determination and it is also important people enjoy the experience of international football, the players, the management and the fans.

"Football is a great game and representing your country is the pinnacle of anyone's career.

"I want to thank everyone for messages of support I've received, we're hugely looking forward to the challenge and are 100 percent up for this."
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And Now Bobby

Sir Bobby Robson has praised Steve Staunton's first appearance in front of the media as Republic of Ireland coach.

The ex-Newcastle United manager will work alongside Staunton, providing valuable assistance to the rookie coach.

Staunton's first managerial role is a daunting one but Robson feels the former Walsall man will soon adapt to his new position.

"We know Stan, we're not disguising this and saying he's terribly experienced," said Robson. "We know he isn't.

"It's his first job. I think he's done terrific today as a player coming out of a playing experience, and sitting here in his first job and dealing with a press conference of this nature.

"Of course, he can succeed he's a very confident chap.

"I think he's come over terrific and we've got some doubting Thomases, we know that. We've got some sceptics, we know that as well.

"We want you to be with us because we're going to be with you and represent your country and do the best job we can.

"Give us a chance. Of course, there's doubt but that's what I'm here for."

Robson stressed he is not eyeing Staunton's job and is happy to work in the background.

"It's the role I saw myself in," he asserted. "I didn't apply for this job. There's no file with my name on it where I've applied for this job.

"I got the job after Stan was selected for the job.

"You've got an Irishman in the job, that's the best thing you could do in the first place.

"He's got some expertise, an old head, a mentor as he wants to be groomed, blooded into the job and I'm here to do that.

"I won't be jealous of him. I don't want his job. I want to get success for the FAI."
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ut, asked how his relationship with Robson would work, Staunton was keen to establish his role.

"I'm the boss. I'm the gaffer. At the end of the day what I say goes, the buck stops with me.

"I will use Bobby in whatever role I see fit. He has a huge role to play, he's there for me all the time. I know in my heart we can do it and work together. "We are here to achieve success, our aim is to qualify for the European Championships and World Cups. First and foremost that is our aim, we want to blood new talent and we have got new talent coming through.

"I want someone within the eircom League scouting for me, keeping an eye on things. They will be looking at individuals and I will be coming over to see games under the recommendation of a trustworthy source over here.

"I am looking at the next four years. It will be tough going for the Europeans but we'll give it our best shot."
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Thought he was very non-commital on what the minimum requirment from his first campaign in charge was. Came across like he's written us off for 2008 before he's even seen the opposition.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    jesus wept......seems like they are writing off the euros already..."hard graft and a bit of luck" - is that his plan for the team????????? throw in a referance to the eircom league to get "them" onside......why did they bother turning up. why didnt they just let the PR company do it? joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Related links
    Team Pages:

* Republic of Ireland

Steve Staunton is looking forward to the challenge of managing Republic of Ireland after being unveiled on Monday.

The former Liverpool and Aston Villa star was named his country's new manager last week after The Football Association agreed a compensation package with Walsall to secure Staunton's release.

Staunton will be assisted by Sir Bobby Robson, who has been appointed as a consultant to Staunton.

The 36-year-old has signed a four-year deal as he looks to guide Republic of Ireland to Euro 2008.

"It's brilliant to be here. It is an honour to play for and captain your country, but to manage your country is the ultimate honour and is clearly the opportunity of a lifetime for me," said Staunton in a statement.

"I'm fully aware of the responsibility being placed on my shoulders by the footballing community, I also understand the expectations that go with that.

"I know how much football means to people of this country, we have the best fans in the world bar none and that's no word of a lie there when I say that because I've witnessed them.

"I was so lucky to have soldiered with them around the world.

"Football is not just about passion, it's their life and everything to them. As it is for me.

"Anyone associated with the team during the most successful times knows the experiences of Giants Stadium against Italy are not just memories, they are huge moments in people's lives, mine included.

"We were always in this together, the players, management team and the fans.

"We have the same aims. We want success and want to have more of the Giants Stadium experiences.

"We may be a small country but we've had our achievements, been to three World Cups, one European Championships, achieved a lot through hard graft and the odd slice of luck and in particular lots of teamwork.

"We frightened opponents and made them respect us. We were regarded as a team to be wary of and that's something I want to bring back, having been part of the team in those days.

"I am thrilled to lead the new management team being introduced today.

"I'm also delighted to welcome on board my team someone with more experience, expertise and football knowledge than I know. None other than Bobby Robson.

"Bobby's list of achievements and track record at club and international football is second to none.

"I'm particularly pleased he agreed to come on board my team.

"In case there are any doubts on this issue Bobby was first choice, my decision and I'm delighted he's come with me.

"Kevin MacDonald for me is an excellent coach. I've worked with him and he is going to bring enthusiasm, drive, all the characteristics I want from my team and Alan Kelly, I played with him and I know what he will bring to the camp not just goalkeeping skills but everything to do with the person himself.

"I am really looking forward to the challenges ahead and don't underestimate the task in front of us.

"The draw for Euro 2008 takes place at the end of this month and as fourth seeds our qualifying campaign will be against seriously good and in many cases world class opposition, but we are very talented players make no mistake about that and we won't shirk the challenge.

"Don't forget we're all Irish. We all felt huge disappointment in not qualifying for Germany.

"I've experienced the same feelings as players and it's not nice, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and look forward rather than back and we have two great friendlies lined up.

"Sweden next month, Holland later in the year and these games will be ideal preparation for this.

"We will go about the task with confidence, commitment and determination and it is also important people enjoy the experience of international football, the players, the management and the fans.

"Football is a great game and representing your country is the pinnacle of anyone's career.

"I want to thank everyone for messages of support I've received, we're hugely looking forward to the challenge and are 100 percent up for this."

Nice of him to acknowledge that message of support I sent him.....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    jesus wept......seems like they are writing off the euros already..."hard graft and a bit of luck" - is that his plan for the team?????????
    What he actually said was, "We may be a small country but we've had our achievements, been to three World Cups, one European Championships, achieved a lot through hard graft and the odd slice of luck and in particular lots of teamwork."

By your objection, I take it you feel we could qualify without "hard graft, the odd slice of luck and lots of teamwork"............well we couldn't and won't, not with Staunton or anybody else you care to think of as manager.
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would expect there to be more of a plan than relying on hard graft and a bit of luck.I dont think that is unreasonable.
    do you disagree that they are laying the seads for a failure in the euro qualifyiers?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would expect there to be more of a plan than relying on hard graft and a bit of luck.I dont think that is unreasonable.
    do you disagree that they are laying the seads for a failure in the euro qualifyiers?
    No. Do you think he should say. "I intend to win Euro 2008"?

"you mean a big one"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    No, he just reckons it'll be tough but they'll be up for the challenge. The negativity is all yours.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    By the way, what do you think the "plan" should contain....and how much of it should he give you in his first press conference?

"you mean a big one"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ah yes all mine...I forgot that the "valued members" of this forum have given their approval to this appointmnet. My apologies for speaking out of turn sir...

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    jesus wept......seems like they are writing off the euros already..."hard graft and a bit of luck" - is that his plan for the team????????? throw in a referance to the eircom league to get "them" onside......why did they bother turning up. why didnt they just let the PR company do it? joke.
    And if he didn't mention the Eircom League you'd be jumping down his back. As the old phrase goes, "you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't".

You tell us what he should have said that would appeased you ?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    That's not at all what I meant Klein4. You - not anyone else - suggested they were sowing the seeds for failure & I saw no such remark, only a reasonably pragmatic assessment of the timmediate task at hand. In that context, the negativity aws indeed yours, not Staunton's. I've no difficulty whatsoever with you offering your opinion, and I think you know it too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Looks to me like he is making excuses already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think there's a run-away train of negtivity that's in danger of getting out of control, if not already. It's so easy to pick fault from a narrow minded angle.
    It stinks of post-Celtic tiger spoilt brat syndrome & quite frankly I'm sick to the back teeth of it. Maybe we set too high a standard for ourselves in terms of expectation during the Charlton years but can we not keep it simply, wish Stan the very best and be optimistic. I don't want to appear naive in saying this and am under no illusion that the euro qualifiers will be easy but for god's sake lets not kick this to death before kick-off...
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    if an "unvalued" member of this forum could have his tuppence worth. I think he came across well, determination to suceed was obvious from the start, thought he handled the press and deflected a few loaded questions with ease. Although to be fair the press did give him an easy ride (we all remember Brians first press conference as well of course).

As for Bobby always liked him, comes across as a gentleman and as was said he has an unbelievable love of the game for a man of his age. His knowledge cannot be questioned either.

All in all I am looking forward to Jan 27 and what surprises that will bring, looking at how the Irish lads are playing I am not worried about any team.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry
    Looks to me like he is making excuses already.
    Excuses for what?

"you mean a big one"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was expecting the press conferance to give some indications as to what the fai saw in these guys when they appointed them. it didnt.
    It seemd to be a load of PR waffle. I knew staunton played in world cups for ireland already. tell us something we dont know. seemed to be just put in there to create a positive association with him in the minds of the public."remember giants stadium? eh? eh? could happen again you know...." the least we expect from him is that his teams will be puttin in some hard graft. is that all there is to it? I wouldnt care less if he did or didnt mention the eircom league. but I feel it is strange that he did and I would be interested to see how many players from there that he ever actually picks in a competitive squad. so why mention it? pr waffle. And I do feel he is laying the seeds for failure to qualify for the euros. if thats not your reading of it fair enough. but I aint the only one who said it.I may have been a bit flippant in the last post so I apologise.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast