Thread: First Squad

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First Squad

What should first squad be
    WHat young players are actually ready to come in NOW?

i would suggest

Doyle
    O'Brien
    Ireland
    Kelly

also important is the draw for euro 2008
    if we get a bit lucky there the future mightnt appear so bleak
    Last edited by gustavo; 14/01/2006 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    id have all of those except kelly

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Yeah!! 'Bout time we got back to what matters!!

A squad I'd like to see for Sweden. A bigger squad than normal to act as much as an "all hands on deck" session as well as a Friendly

Given, Kenny, Murphy, Stack

Finnan, S.Kelly, Harte, O'Shea, Maybury, Dunne, A O'Brien, Breen, Doherty, P McCarthy, Foley

J O'Brien, KEVIN NOLAN???, S Ireland, S Reid, A Reid, Holland, Kavanagh, Quinn, Duff, McGeady, G Whelan

Keane, Morrison, Elliot, Doyle, Connolly, Lee Trundle, DAVE KITSON???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    i wouldnt sacrifice kilbane just for the sake of some guy who is waiting on sven goran eriksson to decide for him if he is irish or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee
    Yeah!! 'Bout time we got back to what matters!!

A squad I'd like to see for Sweden. A bigger squad than normal to act as much as an "all hands on deck" session as well as a Friendly

Given, Kenny, Murphy, Stack

Finnan, S.Kelly, Harte, O'Shea, Maybury, Dunne, A O'Brien, Breen, Doherty, P McCarthy, Foley

J O'Brien, KEVIN NOLAN???, S Ireland, S Reid, A Reid, Holland, Kavanagh, Quinn, Duff, McGeady, G Whelan

Keane, Morrison, Elliot, Doyle, Connolly, Lee Trundle, DAVE KITSON???
    Never going to see a squad this big.

No chance of Nolan or Kitson

Do we really want Trundle, with the likes of Doyle and Elliott around?

Has to inlcude Kilbane, he's still playing regular Premiership football. Can't be that bad.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah kilbane should be in. he never gives less than 100% for Ireland and has declared his allegeince from the start.might try and find a more suitable position for him tho.left back?
    Its important they get as many new faces involved from an early stage. even if they are not going to be first team regulars we will need cover over the course of a qualifying campaign.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Sorry lads.

Actually forgot about Kilbane.... Would also have McShane in there aswell. Obviously I wouln't expect half of the players mentioned to get a run out. But it would be more about getting everyone on board that, at this point, looks to be a potential asset over the qualifying campaign. Put them all in a room and let them know what to expect, and what expected from them so that when/if called upon they hit the ground running.

The Nolan, Kitson thing is just wishfull thinking on my part. We desperately need a bit of physical presence up front at the moment, and we've a severe lack of central midfeilders at the top of their game.
    Last edited by dr_peepee; 14/01/2006 at 3:22 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Nolan will not (or can not) declare.

What about Kitson? Scored twice today.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    he never gives less than 100% for Ireland and has declared his allegeince from the start.might try and find a more suitable position for him tho.left back?
    I've always given 100% for Ireland and have declared my allegiance from the start. Can I be in the squad? Please?

The core of the squad should be:

Goal:
    Given, Kenny, Murphy

Defence:
    Finnan, O'Shea, A O'Brien, Dunne, Kelly

Midfield:
    Ireland, J O'Brien, A Reid, S Reid, Kavanagh, Duff

Attack:
    Keane, Doyle, Morrisson, Elliott

And we'd want to keep an eye on how Kearney gets on at Heerenveen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3
    I've always given 100% for Ireland and have declared my allegiance from the start. Can I be in the squad? Please?
    Yes. Yes you can.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    yeah kilbane should be in. he never gives less than 100% for Ireland and has declared his allegeince from the start.might try and find a more suitable position for him tho.left back?
    Its important they get as many new faces involved from an early stage. even if they are not going to be first team regulars we will need cover over the course of a qualifying campaign.

Think left back is Irelands main problem area at the moment. Reckon because of this Kilbane could well start the Euro Qualifiers with the number 3 shirt on his back.

Heres the alternatives

O'Shea
    Not international standard and may well become a reserve team regular at Man United very soon.

Harte
    Spains second division aint good enough, Harte himself would admit that.

Put Finnan left back and Stephen Kelly at right back
    Would not like to see this happen as Finnan is close to the best right back in the premiership at the moment and Stephen Kelly hasnt played much football this season. Might chage with Stalteri getting sent off for Spurs today though.

I cant think of any other alternative to the ones above. Any Comment?
    one shot... Bang Bang!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3

The core of the squad should be:

Goal:
    Given, Kenny, Murphy

Defence:
    Finnan, O'Shea, A O'Brien, Dunne, Kelly

Midfield:

Attack:
    Keane, Doyle, Morrisson, Elliott

And we'd want to keep an eye on how Kearney gets on at Heerenveen.
    I cannot see how Stephen Kelly can be considered to be a core player yet. He has not being playing regularly at Spurs and was f**king awful against Leicester last weekend. He needs a decent run in the Spurs team before he can stake a claim as one of Ireland's core players.

As posted above, Kevin Kilbane is still playing premiership football and can still fill a number of roles. Currently, he has a better claim to be a core squad player than Andy Reid, who does not appear to be filling the early promise he showed last year.

Another player not mentioned is Liam Miller, who has shown he has benefited from regular first team football at Leeds and if his current form continues he will be a core squad player.

Interesting you have not included McGeady? Do you not rate him as a regular of the future? Personally, I think he is overated.

We need to have three established centre backs in the squad. O'Shea is not a centre back and so either Paddy McCarty or Paul McShane should be brought in and played in the next 3 or 4 games, before we start the Euro 2008 qualifiers. On form, McCarthy deserves his chance.

Finally, one 'dark horse' who I think will make the breakthrough soon, Darren Potter of Liverpool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Yeah I think Kilbane should be tried out at left back too and be told not to venture forward too much because his crossing is not up to much. Then Duff could be relieved of some of his defensive duties and we can see him play like he used to for Ireland. Kilbane may as well have been playing LB for the few years Harte was in the team, he had to run back and cover for him on countless occasions.

Another option for LB is Clive Clarke, who might get a few games now that Repka is on his way. I know Repka is a RB but 1 less FB at the club can only help.

Marcus Painter at Birmingham has already had a few games at LB and has performed OK but he's not playing regular enough to justify a call up to the team just yet but maybe soon.

It looks like Stephen Reid is getting some experience and playing well at CMF. That pleases me and I guess several others on here who believe he can develop into the box-to-box player we are missing at the moment.

Going on current form I'd like to see this team start:

________Given_______

Finnan_Dunne_A.O'Brien_Kilbane

J.O'Brien_S.Reid_Kavanagh_Duff

_____Keane___Doyle____

If A. Reid is getting his game and playing well I'd start him instead of J.O'Brien and maybe bring on O'Brien in place of Finnan in the second half. I know he prefers CMF but with S.Kelly not playing at Spurs we need to develop someone else as cover for Finnan (other than Mabury)
    I know out of that starting 11 only Doyle would be getting his first cap and it seems a bit conservative in the Kerr mold but it will be Stan's first game in charge and I'm sure he will want to get off to a good start. Just as long as he doesn't continue like that. Anyway I think it would be experimental enough to start with. We would get a look at a Doyle-Keane partnership, see how S.Reid handles CMF at international level, give Kavanagh another chance to prove himself, see if Duff is able to change his style of play for Ireland, assess how Kilbane performs at LB and give Dunne and A.O'Brien some much-needed time together. Depending on the game I'd bring on 5 subs at max:
    A full second half for Paddy Kenny, Ireland on at some stage for Kavanagh or S.Reid, if Elliott is fit I'd bring him on for the last 30 mins and bring McCarthy on for Dunne or O'Brien at the same time.
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 14/01/2006 at 9:54 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Have to say, I didn't think of playing Joey O'Brien at right midfield. That would be a good idea.

Looks a decent side, if a bit iffy at the back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Kilbane and McGeady for me too
    I'm 21, I'm italian, but I love Ireland, and I always support the irish national team!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I'd like to see the young lads given a chance instead of the old school. We've tried that and it didn't work. Ireland, Joey and Doyle should all be included and I'd even give em a start. Nolan is a tricky one, if it is true he wants to play vfor England and doesn't feel "Irish" then I don't want him on board. Same goes for Kitson. Hopefully somebody sounds them out before our new duo name their 1st squad.

Dunne was outstanding yesterday and if we can get somebody decent to play alongside him our defence should be ok. John O Shea played ok yesterday and notice once again he is getting a bit of stick on here. I'd have him at LB over Kilbane any day of the week!!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Keepers:
    Given, Kenny, Devine

Defence:
    Finnan, O'Shea, A O'Brien, Dunne, Kelly, Danny Murphy

Midfield:

Attack:
    Keane, Doyle, Morrisson, Elliott, Jason Byrne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982
    ....John O Shea played ok yesterday and notice once again he is getting a bit of stick on here. I'd have him at LB over Kilbane any day of the week!!!!
    You must have been watching a different game to me. He was playing midfield and looked lost. Did hardly anything apart from two decent crosses in the second half.

If Ferguson rated him as a left back he would play him there, instead he goes and signs another full back, Evra, who was the only MU player worse than O'Shea yesterday IMHO and I suppose you could allow for the fact it was Evra's debut.

If O'Shea is not good enough to a MU's first choice defender then why should we play him anywhere in our defence?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Yes I forgot McGeady. He should be getting more than the 5 mins a game that Kerr gave him. What's the story with Kitson? Does he actually have any Irish connections? Liam Lawrence should be brought on board too. So I guess my squad of 22 would be:

Given, Kenny, Stack

Finnan, J O'Brien, Mcarthy, A. O'Brien, Dunne, Kilbane, O'Shea

A. Reid, McGeady, Ireland, Kavanagh, S. Reid, Holland, Duff, Lawrence

Keane, Morrisson, Elliott, Doyle

BTW I forgot to mention Mark Kennedy as another posibility for the LB spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Always though Clive Clarke would male a go of it with West Ham but he seems to be down the pecking order there. Still think he's a good prospect at left full.

What age is he BTW??

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast