Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Cool" bands that actually suck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ken foree
    this is the whole point. the reason i generally refuse to slate these young bands is because i was young once (hah!), and loved primal scream, oasis, verve, charlatans, blur, fannies, underworld et al. but if you listen to older music, you often find similar things got done before much much better. it is now much more fun for me to listen to some droney folk or psych-noise freakout guitar (blue cheer anyone?) than listen to a verse-chorus-verse-chorus-guitar solo-chorus-outro thing where you can basically tell what's gonna happen next
    TBH Ken, I listen to a lot of folk and have attended many a Cambridge Folk Festival and some folk is awful but the best is really good. - like Dervish, Wolfestone, Rankins etc
    Yeah, you're right, maybe I was being too harsh on the young bands and maybe they'll develop into something good too but the old grumpiness and impatience hits in sometimes - it's an age thing, I guess. LOL
    It brings back to mind a story from the late 70s when we used to have rock bands here in Beeslow on Monday nights. The guvnor of the place where the gigs took place turned down an up and coming band from Dublin. He could have got them for around 80 quid (no kidding) but thought they were
    sh!te.
    A year or so later, that young band were number 1 in the UK with "Boy"

Funny though, Ken, my godson and niece (Shakedown, 23, and Bubbles, 20) are always nicking my old rock CDs and albums. Y'know Rory Gallagher, Seger, early Genesis, Creedence, Purple, Moodies, Lizzy, etc etc etc etc 'cos they think they're better than today's bands.

BTW Ken check out Classic Rock magazine - it has some great stuff on the oldies plus the new ones too. Great read. latest issue has stuff on Creedence (very sad story) and the making of Genesis's "Lamb lies down on Broadway".

Happy New Year also - don't see you in Footie much these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeirish
    Boomtown Rats.....cool at the time, but some daft music, with one or two exceptions.
    Funny that, strangeirish, saw the Rats in Dalyer back in 78 or 79 supporting Lizzy. They were just breaking big and Geldof was hilarious on stage. They were terrific that day TBH.

What a line up that day, Lizzy, Graham Parker and The Rumour, Rats, Radiators from Space, a pre-Moving Hearts with Christy Moore plus loads of others.

I also recall that day that the crowd was full of the RTE crowd. One newsreader was passing by (forget his name - he's not on now) and someone happened to push me and I stepped on a small carton of milk and sprayed the poor fcuker with its contents. TBF to the guy he was ok about it but I bet he smelt awful afterwards.

Jaysus, I'm turning into Abe Simpson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    LOL 'hamish. I saw StatusQuo and Judas Priest in '79? at Dalyer. I was fourteen and got pi**ed off my head on cider and then proceeded to get the sh*te kicked out of me by some rowdies. Classic.

Ah, dem wur de days.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    TBH Ken, I listen to a lot of folk and have attended many a Cambridge Folk Festival and some folk is awful but the best is really good. - like Dervish, Wolfestone, Rankins etc
    i'll have to check them hamish, if they're anything like the incredible string band i'll probably love them. i like the american, the late john fahey, terrific finger-pick style.. and some of his modern-day progeny like six organs of admittance. 'avant folk' some are calling it, drony stuff, great.

Yeah, you're right, maybe I was being too harsh on the young bands and maybe they'll develop into something good too but the old grumpiness and impatience hits in sometimes - it's an age thing, I guess. LOL
    ah come on, i feel the same. i *want* to have a dig at some music but then realize i don't have a leg to stand on, going back to the stuff i used to think was 'class'..

It brings back to mind a story from the late 70s when we used to have rock bands here in Beeslow on Monday nights. The guvnor of the place where the gigs took place turned down an up and coming band from Dublin. He could have got them for around 80 quid (no kidding) but thought they were
    sh!te.
    A year or so later, that young band were number 1 in the UK with "Boy"
    hahaa i bet there were more than a few others like him!

Funny though, Ken, my godson and niece (Shakedown, 23, and Bubbles, 20) are always nicking my old rock CDs and albums. Y'know Rory Gallagher, Seger, early Genesis, Creedence, Purple, Moodies, Lizzy, etc etc etc etc 'cos they think they're better than today's bands.

BTW Ken check out Classic Rock magazine - it has some great stuff on the oldies plus the new ones too. Great read. latest issue has stuff on Creedence (very sad story) and the making of Genesis's "Lamb lies down on Broadway".

Happy New Year also - don't see you in Footie much these days.
    thanks and the same to you. i'm on here, reading more than writing. it was a similar experience for me as with your younger relations.. when i heard the door's "peacefrog" and realized it was basically the ENTIRE charlatans' catalogue wrapped up in one song, well.. not a little disillusionment settled in. and when you start hearing zep's catalogue under various states of altered consciousness..! i don't think i've heard of that mag, though mojo (british) is in a similar vein i believe. chrs, good to see you're enjoying foot.ie!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    LOL 'hamish. I saw StatusQuo and Judas Priest in '79? at Dalyer. I was fourteen and got pi**ed off my head on cider and then proceeded to get the sh*te kicked out of me by some rowdies. Classic.

Ah, dem wur de days.
    Jaysus, I was at that too strangeirish. I won two free tickets in some RTE competition even though my name wasn't read out as a winner.

Quo were pretty good that day - sounded more like a blues band than today.
    Remember Rossi giving out about the sound - he said some thing like "Fcuking hell, the sound's like it's coming out from under a dustbin lid".

Remember too Rob Halford (JP) coming out on stage on a motor bike...driven by a roadie. Given Rob's legendary sexual preferences, I'd have been one worried roadie.

I was on the terrace opposite the stand but went down into the crowd later on.

Jaysus, O strange One, I thought you were much younger than that.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think Oasis are seen as "cool" now, and haven't been seen like that for about 10 years. However, I think that they are class and I love the band.

IMO the definitive answer to this question is the Libertines.

I like Led Zep but think they are hugely over-rated.

Very disappointed by some of the comments about the Beatles.
    Last edited by ThatGuy; 12/01/2006 at 6:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

thanks and the same to you. i'm on here, reading more than writing. it was a similar experience for me as with your younger relations.. when i heard the door's "peacefrog" and realized it was basically the ENTIRE charlatans' catalogue wrapped up in one song, well.. not a little disillusionment settled in. and when you start hearing zep's catalogue under various states of altered consciousness..! i don't think i've heard of that mag, though mojo (british) is in a similar vein i believe. chrs, good to see you're enjoying foot.ie!
    Yeah do like the ISB. Think they had a new album out lately.

This is the mag.

http://www.mygnr.com/news/1999/990601_1.htm

http://www.stevehackett.com/reviews/classicrock.html

You can get in in Easons.

Re your comments, the older rock bands had a greater musical background I feel from a wider variety of musical styles. John Lord of Purple used to play with a jazz oufit called the Artwoods while Blackmore played with a variety of different pop and rock outfits too.
    Ditto Plant, Page, Gallagher and so on. Plant has a good folk pedigree. Remember his song Gallows Pole from a few years ago with Page?? Very folkie.

Meant that their music could include and go off into folk, blues, soul, rhythm and blues and so on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Jaysus, is this a small world or what. Don't remember a lot from that day. Got tickets from a cousin. My mother didn't know I was there until the lads got me home, black and blue, not to mention locked. My Dad took it from there. 'Nuff said.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking

Jaysus, is this a small world or what. Don't remember a lot from that day. Got tickets from a cousin. My mother didn't know I was there until the lads got me home, black and blue, not to mention locked. My Dad took it from there. 'Nuff said.

LOL

I really am tempted to do a bit of slagging here but, I'm too nice, and I won't

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    the smiths
    echo and the bunnymen
    the happy mondays
    blur
    the gorillaz
    the doors
    the sex pistols
    the libertines
    arcade fire
    nirvana
    metallica
    You got to be joking ,I know you're entitled to your opinion but you're dissin a huge amount of quality Bands there....
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 12/01/2006 at 7:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Yeah do like the ISB. Think they had a new album out lately.

This is the mag.

http://www.mygnr.com/news/1999/990601_1.htm

http://www.stevehackett.com/reviews/classicrock.html

You can get in in Easons.

Re your comments, the older rock bands had a greater musical background I feel from a wider variety of musical styles. John Lord of Purple used to play with a jazz oufit called the Artwoods while Blackmore played with a variety of different pop and rock outfits too.
    Ditto Plant, Page, Gallagher and so on. Plant has a good folk pedigree. Remember his song Gallows Pole from a few years ago with Page?? Very folkie.

Meant that their music could include and go off into folk, blues, soul, rhythm and blues and so on.
    chrs again the hamishand thanks for the links. yea the ISB just reformed and were touring i believe! did you like donovan at all? his 'hurdy gurdy man' is a hugely underrated record i'd wager, some very good stuff on that and i think page lends guitar to the title track if i'm not mistaken. folk plays a huge role in most music, lizzy always sound like an electric folk band to me. these boys' backgrounds, it's true, the english/irish guitar gods of yore were well versed in skiffle and what was then called r&b. but a lot of folk too as you can clearly hear from e.g. zep's softer songs - anyone thinking the zep are overrated (i'll give you bombastic and over the top at times, sure) might want to listen to physical graffiti. yea the one with kashmir!

to be more on topic again here, i guess i never understood the metallica phenomenon - seems there were plenty better metal bands (slayer for one?) although master of puppets is okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    chrs again the hamishand thanks for the links. yea the ISB just reformed and were touring i believe! did you like donovan at all? his 'hurdy gurdy man' is a hugely underrated record i'd wager, some very good stuff on that and i think page lends guitar to the title track if i'm not mistaken. folk plays a huge role in most music, lizzy always sound like an electric folk band to me. these boys' backgrounds, it's true, the english/irish guitar gods of yore were well versed in skiffle and what was then called r&b. but a lot of folk too as you can clearly hear from e.g. zep's softer songs - anyone thinking the zep are overrated (i'll give you bombastic and over the top at times, sure) might want to listen to physical graffiti. yea the one with kashmir!

to be more on topic again here, i guess i never understood the metallica phenomenon - seems there were plenty better metal bands (slayer for one?) although master of puppets is okay
    Yep, remember when he had all those folk hits in the 60s and have most of them. Used to get an awful slagging - poor man's Dylan etc. Even Dylan had the odd cut at him.

That's right, too, about skiffle - I actually remember when Lonnie Donegan used to be on RTE radio all the time. I'm that ancient.LOL
    Did a great version of Leadbelly's "Rock Island Line". Trying to get his late 70s album which had an incendiary Rory Gallagher contribution. Heard it years ago on a Pat Kenny radio programme but it seems to deleted from everywhere - even eBay.

I like some of Metallica's stuff - like that song that has the line "Oh please God, save (or help) me". Can never remember the name of it but it's on Scuzz/The Amp/Kerrang/Vh1 a fair bit. . "The one"???? Enter Sandman and Nothing else matters are ok but Hetfield's voice is fcuked nowadays and has lost that harshness that I kinda liked.

Gerry Rafferty is very tasty too - a bit MOR/AOR but some great tunes.

God, KF, I could go on forever about all those oldies.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Red hot chilli peppers
    The Stone Roses

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    the smiths
    echo and the bunnymen
    the happy mondays
    blur
    the gorillaz
    the doors
    the sex pistols
    the libertines
    arcade fire
    nirvana
    metallica
    I like all these bands apart from The Libertines and Metallica,although Enter Sandman sometimes does it for me.What sort of stuff are you into then??
    MOT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Green Day
    Foo Fighters

PANTS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    but a lot of folk too as you can clearly hear from e.g. zep's softer songs - anyone thinking the zep are overrated (i'll give you bombastic and over the top at times, sure) might want to listen to physical graffiti. yea the one with kashmir!
    jeez lads, don't dis led Zep. There are few bands that give me that "hair standing on the back of the neck" feel and LZ are one of them. Holy Sh1t, live they were something else- I have a couple of old bootlegs and a dodgy live dvd and the sound they could produce live was soemthing else. The true Godfathers of Rock.

Metallica's first four albums, imo, are classics. After that they are just "paint by numbers" drivel- ie Going through the motions.

klein 4- Your list sounds like my cd collection. "One man's poison..."

And I reckon The Streets are cool if only because they are doing something (slightly) original. But that "Dry your eyes mate" song really grates

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    Snow Patrol, Oasis
    Oasis were the coolest band with the coolest lead singer of the nineties.

Snow Patrol's Final straw was a class, class album!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12
    I like all these bands apart from The Libertines and Metallica,although Enter Sandman sometimes does it for me.What sort of stuff are you into then??
    em I would possibly like some(maybe one or two) songs from all the above but think they are all a bit overrated...isnt that the point of the thread?
    (and fair play if you do like all of them - music is a personal thing)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M@ttitude
    Oasis were the coolest band with the coolest lead singer of the nineties.

No need to duck M@ttitude -the point flew quite a way over the auld sconce.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Beatles, Oasis & Snow Patrol?
    Who considers them cool? Ya might aswell say The Spice Girls.
    Oasis' current lack of street cred is the best thing that could happen to them.
    I was cool once, then they changed what cool was. No i'm not cool, and whats cool seems weird and scary.

The Frames are considered cool in this indigneous Whelans popularity merry-go-round aren't they? They get my vote.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast