Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Experience not vital for national job – Delaney

http://www.elevenaside.com/boysingre...p?newsid=20669

January 11, 2006

Football Association of Ireland Chief Executive John Delaney has declared that a lack of top-level management experience is not as essential for an international job as it would be to take up a high-profile club job.

Delaney headed the three-man subcommittee which looks to have settled on Steve Staunton as the next Irish manager, with former England boss Bobby Robson set to join as special adviser.

The chief criticism of the choice – which is set to be confirmed next week – is Staunton’s lack of dug-out experience; he is just five months into a player-coach role at League One side Walsall.

Delaney attended a function in Kerry on Tuesday night and while he stopped short of naming Staunton, he insisted a lack of experience should be no barrier to the next Irish boss doing a solid job.

The FAI CEO is quoted in Wednesday’s Irish Daily Star as saying: “Experience is not vital because managing an international team is different to managing in the Premiership where you can buy and sell players. We can only use the players that are available to us, so to motivate them was one thing.

“The other aspect was to be able to make tactical adjustments during a game and to be able to vary your style of football depending on whether you are away or at home.”
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    So why the fcuk didn't i get called to interview back in 1995?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir
    http://www.elevenaside.com/boysingre...p?newsid=20669

January 11, 2006

The FAI CEO is quoted in Wednesday’s Irish Daily Star as saying: “Experience is not vital because managing an international team is different to managing in the Premiership where you can buy and sell players. We can only use the players that are available to us, so to motivate them was one thing.

“The other aspect was to be able to make tactical adjustments during a game and to be able to vary your style of football depending on whether you are away or at home.”
    Again with the Premiership! It's his only frame of reference for club football - he's said this before about how it's not like "The Premiership" where you have to play games every week. Talk about OBSESSED!
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "experience isnt vital"

what utter garbage - no wonder we are a laughing stock with tubes like this running it. Nothing against Mr Staunton but being 'defence manager' at Walsall is a far cry from International football. At least with Rijkard, Klinsman, Van Basten etc they worked under a coach and were brought along. In fact the comparissons to Klinsman are irrelevant as he will have had 2 years of teaching by the time he plays his first competitive game in June.

Right ,so you think a guy with zero experience will be able to make those tactical adjustments ?

I thought the charges levelled at Kerr were that he didnt have the experience and made tactical errors. This is becoming a bigger farce by the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I wonder if Fran Rooney had kept his job how things would have panned out..
    I thought Delaney was only keeping the seat warm until the association found another CEO ..

you can imagine my shock when I heard that his temporary appointment as CEO had become permanent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macdermesser
    I wonder if Fran Rooney had kept his job how things would have panned out..
    I thought Delaney was only keeping the seat warm until the association found another CEO ..

you can imagine my shock when I heard that his temporary appointment as CEO had become permanent
    Well, it was obvious from the start the Delaney wanted the top job. Thats the reason he stabbed Rooney in the back. I thought Rooney was making progress.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yet to be proved of course but one of BKs' failings was, in some peoples' eyes, was that he was too defensive, cautious....
    Forgive me for being pedantic but does this new appointment not point to a similar style?
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Delaney is now trying to cover his tracks, he stated after Kerr's contract was not renewed that high level experirnce was vital. My thoughts are that after been rebuffed by any half decent canidate Delaney has turned to Staunton in the hope that because he is Ireland's most capped player he is above criticism. I think that he must be reading George W. Bush's playbook.
    This is not the best signature in the world, this is just a tribute

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    It's almost like saying success isn't one of the performance benchmarks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Shambolic

Quote Originally Posted by Schlooooomp
    Delaney is now trying to cover his tracks, he stated after Kerr's contract was not renewed that high level experirnce was vital. My thoughts are that after been rebuffed by any half decent canidate Delaney has turned to Staunton in the hope that because he is Ireland's most capped player he is above criticism. I think that he must be reading George W. Bush's playbook.
    Surely this "Board of management2 that we read about on the Evenin Hedald last night must be extremely upset at what is going on and with the way Delaney has conducted this.....maybe his desire to see Staunton installed will cost him on a personal level?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    It's almost like saying success isn't one of the performance benchmarks.
    Name a viable alternative who is a successful manager? The FAI have no money. We can't afford a really successful manager. They can only afford a manager on the way up or past his best.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colster
    Name a viable alternative who is a successful manager? The FAI have no money. We can't afford a really successful manager. They can only afford a manager on the way up or past his best.
    With the combined salaries they supposed to be giving the team team they could easily get an experienced coach for what is essentially a part-time job.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I suppose this move by the FAIlure is all about being brave. There was two options they could have taken, one was going for the experienced manager , the other was going for the new guy a la Peirce who would really shake the team up.

I think Stan will add passion to this side and its something that has been missing for years. Its one of our best assists and may well be all we need. I hope it all works out for him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    With the combined salaries they supposed to be giving the team team they could easily get an experienced coach for what is essentially a part-time job.
    Yep, I heard something in the region of eur 750,000...
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Is the combined salaries this time much different than last time? Do you think Hughton offered his services pro bono?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Name one. How many clubs will allow a manager to do that. Middlesborough had problems with McClaren working for England. If it were so easy to get a manager on a part time basis why isn't everyone doing it?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    I suppose this move by the FAIlure is all about being brave. There was two options they could have taken, one was going for the experienced manager , the other was going for the new guy a la Peirce who would really shake the team up.

I think Stan will add passion to this side and its something that has been missing for years. Its one of our best assists and may well be all we need. I hope it all works out for him
    Maybe they are being foresighted and planning for the future. Robson is pretty old and must be very near retiring. So they get Staunton as well and have Robson groom/advise him. Seems very logical to me. I think England are doing something similar with Eriksson and McClaren and IIRC France have also done it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colster
    The only viable one I can think of was George Burley.
    He became available at the right time. Appeared to be a good /ideal candidate, I wonder if he was contacted.

other than that
    I was never impressed by Fran Rooney, imo a total spoofer with no substance who cost a feckin' fortune.
    Last time a football man did the interviewing, it had dodgy merits.
    it depends on how it is set up.
    Otherwise I am not really that fussed by the untimely leaks over this. I am pretty sure they have come from the executives who had to give the go ahead for the recomendations.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    The only viable one I can think of was George Burley.
    He became available at the right time. Appeared to be a good /ideal candidate, I wonder if he was contacted.
    Burley would have been a good choice but there were a number of clubs looking at him at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Waht a load of crap n, i cna't believe the amount of muppets/ trip junkies in the FAI , who the hell appoints them and how the hell can we remove them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast