Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Miss World - Good or Bad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Question Miss World - Good or Bad?

Miss World - Good or Bad ??

Not bad as in ugly birds, but bad as in discriminating and demeaning to women.

There is a bit written about it here and here is their website.

What do yez all reckon, does it empower women or does it have the opposite effect, given the image that it can have i.e. Simpsons sketches, and other comical references towards it ? There is for and against ..... but which side are you on ??
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I don't think it's demeaning to women, but I don't think it empowers women either. I think it probably titillates men to a degree, and makes gullible women think it empowers them. So perhaps it serves a purpose, albeit a relatively useless one.

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I don't have any strong or clear views on it.

It's a bit old-hat in the 21st Century, is the main thing that springs to-mind when I think of it. It's a bit much to claim it empowers women, but in the relatively progressive days we live-in in the Western Hemisphere I don't believe it's particularly demeaning to women either.

One thing I will say is that extreme/fundamentalist religious groups of all creeds tend to despise it - which historically has tended to suggest that something isn't all that bad.....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    One thing I will say is that extreme/fundamentalist religious groups of all creeds tend to despise it - which historically has tended to suggest that something isn't all that bad.....
    Haha.

Sure let the girlies do what the they want. No one forces them to do it. Somehow I don't think its an even sporting contest with lot of deals done in the background...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    It's all a bit poxy and mock really and it's value systems seem to be a bit tragic but sure do what you will that which hurts no one else.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"