Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Mine tragedy-report mess up

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts

Mine tragedy-report mess up

Initial reports of all bar 1 person surviving the USA mine explosion/collapse were the wrong way around.Its the opposite in that only 1 person survived
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 04/01/2006 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Tragic RIP

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    That is truly devestating. I had heard that only one died until I read this thread. I can only imagine the pain being felt now.
    R.I.P.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Very badly handled.

But I was disturbed to hear the comments of people in the area on the radio. They were saying that it can't have been a communication error - as if the company would be daft enough to pretend dead people were actually alive ! They were also talking in terms of compensation - not just for the accident, but for the misinformation. Typical litigious Americans...

I would understand if some of these comments were coming from angry relatives though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    I just can't imagine what those poor people have been through. From sheer joy to utter devastation in a matter of hours. Heart wrenching.

R.I.P.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    Very badly handled.

But I was disturbed to hear the comments of people in the area on the radio. They were saying that it can't have been a communication error - as if the company would be daft enough to pretend dead people were actually alive ! They were also talking in terms of compensation - not just for the accident, but for the misinformation. Typical litigious Americans...

I would understand if some of these comments were coming from angry relatives though.
    Typical? And us good 'ol Irish have never been to court over a twisted ankle from a 'wet floor' at the local supermarket.
    Sorry for the rant, but that comment is out of line. Nothing against you dcfcsteve, as I enjoy your reading your posts. That just rubbed me the wrong way.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeirish
    Typical? And us good 'ol Irish have never been to court over a twisted ankle from a 'wet floor' at the local supermarket.
    Sorry for the rant, but that comment is out of line. Nothing against you dcfcsteve, as I enjoy your reading your posts. That just rubbed me the wrong way.
    The Irish aren't much better, but American Society/advertising does seem to have trained people to instantly think of compensation when something bad happens. How anyone can have that front-of-mind so soon after a tragedy is just mesmorising !

It's got so bad in the US that if you were having a fit/seizure/heart-attack in the street and an off-duty Doctor happened to be walking nearby, the chances are that they wouldn't help you for fear of you or your family suing them if anything went wrong. That isn't being over-the-top - there are cases of that actually happening ! Ireland hasn't sunk anywhere near as low as that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one as this may not be the thread to debate the US/Irish compo culture and America's influence over todays Irish society as a whole. Maybe I'll start one in a few days to get other people's views also.
    Last edited by strangeirish; 04/01/2006 at 5:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I was listening to the BBC Radio 4 News programme this morning and at 6.15am the BBC lady reporter was relaying that all bar one had survived. I could hear the whooping in the background, prayers being uttered etc.
    I nodded off and woke up an hour or so later to hear the BBC asking that reporter why had things gone wrong. Couldn't figure it out at first - presumed that they were talking about the one who had died. Then the full picture emerged in subsequent comments.
    Dreadful for those unfortunate families. God love them.
    To go from Hell to Heaven and back again in a matter of an hour or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Truely awful event R.I.P
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?