Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts

Stephen Ireland

Claudio Reyna has injured his ankle and should be out for up to 8 weeks, the last time he was out was when Stephen Ireland got a run earlier in the season, so heshould be back in the starting line up again after coming on as a sub in recent games.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Looks like Reyna didn't play last night and still Ireland only came on in the 89th minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stephen didn't seem to do a lot wrong when I have seen him, it's probably a case of Pearce not wanting to overexpose him so soon into his career.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When I seen him he looked like a very good player! With a few more games under his belt he shoulf=d be in the next Ireland squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    i imagine he will be in the next squad along with doyle and possibly o brien . it all depends on who takes over of course ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I'm sure MON will give them all a run out
    I

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok

i know stevie well. ive played with em recently. hes amazing player.no doubt he shud be in irish squad

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Didn't nobhead Givens say he'd be in the next U21 squad? Like that'll be of any use to him, or us. Meanwhile Kevin Kilbane will pick up his 322nd consecutive cap. Ireland is still a fair bit off being in our ideal starting XI in a competitive match but he and a few others are well worth giving pitch time to in the next 8 months and should make up places 17-23.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Now's the time to start a fresh. If we are to get anywhere we need to give some players a better run out in case we ever do need them. Paddy Kenny for example. Complete fresh slate is needed, give the youngsters a chance. Look at what Van Basten is doing with the Dutch. There's players he's capped that haven't made a mark with their teams yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    yep thats what mccarthy did when he took over and O'neill will have to do the same and why not. the cream will rise to the top (gary breen) and the crap will surely erm not.
    I

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From what I've seen of Stephen Ireland in his displays for Man City . I would wholeheartedly agree, that yes, it would be a good idea for the new manager to give him a run out in the upcoming friendlies.

The potential?
    Well, there's a succession of through balls that I can remember him slipping through for teamates leading up to goals this Premiership season. His playing style is not too dissimilar to Stephen McPhail at his age. (I'm making a blithe observation there) Potentially he could be just the kind of 'touch' player we need in central midfield. In fairness, I don't think the Irish squad has had a player with that as the outstanding quality since Ronnie Whelan.

In addition, I really do hope that Stephen Reid gets his chance to establish himself in the central midfield role. As the weeks go by, Reid has sustained a period of good form, injury free (touch wood). As a Blackburn follower myself, I coul'nt help noticing that in recent games, his name is regularly been cheered by supporters home and away. Most recently in the game against Porstmouth, Reid, on various occasions, demonstrated his agility making backtracking tackles to stave off Pompey counter attacks. I for one see Stephen Reid as the kind of dynamic mifielder who, could in theory, establish a fine central midfield partnership with the likes of Stephen Ireland.

Its just an idea. But whoevers going to be in charge, the centre of midfield could do with some enhancing.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He started against Spurs today, I don't know how he played just that he
    appears to have taken all the corners, anyway he was subbed after 70
    mins, Robbie Keane went on to score on 83 which is nice as Ireland was off.
    Robbie seems to be in a good vein of form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Ireland played ok, but the whole City team seemed to be off, bar Dunne and Barton who both played well. Ireland was substituted for Lee Croft, a winger so I think Pearce was just trying something new.
    I know Andy Reid is injured, but why didn't Stephen Kelly make the Spurs' squad at all? Is he injured or just really out of favor?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I saw the first half and Ireland took some excellent corners. He did as well as he could have on the ball.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Don't think he is injured or out of favour so to speak, just that competition
    for places is tough (I believe Spurs has a very large number of international
    players, I forget the number but I think its over 11.).
    He wants to stay and fight for his place which shows confidence, I hope he gets a run out soon.
    Anyway there is a good article here
    http://hamhighbroadway.london24.net/...A08%3A18%3A577

It's not clear to me if he has a new contract or not if he is a free agent in 6
    months time he could command a big salary if thats what he wants.
    I sure he would easilly get a place in a lot of 'lesser' Premiership team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    I saw the first half and Ireland took some excellent corners. He did as well as he could have on the ball.
    agreed-city just looked jaded-ireland is a terrific prospect and stonger than he looks. Has the same build as willo flood but a stiff breeze seemed to knock that lad off the ball
    I

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    How did Dunne play? Bar the Swiss game, he's been disappointing in any game I've seen him play this year. As paul o'shea always points out, even when playing well, he always seems to have one error per game in him. I'd like to see Dunne raise his performances to someone like Jamie Carragher's. No-nonsense, aggressive & error free defending.

Was Robbie's goal any good? Typical, he finds his form when there isn't an international in sight! He seems to be responding well to his situation though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    pamarot is back to fitness and was preferred on the bench to kelly, pamarot also came on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Stephen Kelly put in a written transfer request just before Christmas. However with the Spurs left full Lee injured last night, it may present Kelly with a return at left back.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    I thought Dunne did ok, certainly better than Distin, although the poll on manchesteronline.co.uk has him way behind Distin for MOTM. Some crucial interventions in the first half and a nice tackle on Mido in a similar position to where he lost the ball against Wigan. For the opening goal, he could have stopped it after getting his boot to the ball, but just deflected the ball into the corner. Looked good from set pieces as well, but at 6"4 you'd expect that. For me he was the most consistent of the Man City players behind Barton. Sinclair certainly had a better first half, but faded a lot in the second.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast