Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Farewell Mick O'Donnell and Brian Gannon

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation Farewell Mick O'Donnell and Brian Gannon

Im sure you lads have seen the papers today.Sad to see the two leaving....best of luck lads!
    "float like a butterfly,sting like a bee-his hands cant hit what his eyes cant see!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatejam
    Im sure you lads have seen the papers today.Sad to see the two leaving....best of luck lads!
    Can't believe Micko's gone Bit of a UCD legend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    What!? If Gannon and Murphy are gone then the right wing is looking a lot weaker. Leave us with only Hurley out there. Apart from the emerging Doyle we have no recognisable left winger and apart from McAniff no left back. We better have some promising scholarship youngsters or Mahon had better get signing. Alternatively ihatejam never gets anything right.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Roo, are you basing that shock on the post above or have you read it in the papers? There's nothing in the Irish Times, on eleven-a-side or soccercentral... Also, I think Micko is under contract to next year anyway. Also, with this success rate, I think I'll take my chances! Personally, I tend to wait until I see news on the official website before believing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Personally I just take what ihatejam says and hold the opposite to be true.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    very offended lads, i have nothing but try and provide this forum with the truth, not my fault if from time to time my posts deviate slightly from reality but I assure you tthis is true lads, check out the Sun newspaper - massive article about the two lads
    "float like a butterfly,sting like a bee-his hands cant hit what his eyes cant see!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatejam
    very offended lads, i have nothing but try and provide this forum with the truth, not my fault if from time to time my posts deviate slightly from reality...
    That's right, it's reality's fault.

but I assure you tthis is true lads, check out the Sun newspaper - massive article about the two lads
    Still sounds like BS, but I can't confirm either way without spending 30c on paper (not the lack of an indefinate article) I wouldn't let my dog **** on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I asked my dad to bring home yesterday's Sun from the paper returns. Tis true, Mahon has released both players. A story in big bold headline "STUDENT MICK HEADS TO AUS - Mahon axes O'Donnell and Gannon". There's decent sized pics of Mahon, Gannon and Micko and the story takes half a page. Mahon said "Having sat down with both players we've come to the decision that it is better for both of them to move on. Mick has been a tremendous servant to this club for a decade and he is a gentleman as well as a very good footballer. He will have no trouble finding a club when he gets back from Australia. Brian wanted to play in a certain position and was not happy being asked to play in other roles and when we talked about it, we agreed that maybe it was time for him to try somewhere else. He has done well at the club. He won a First Division runners-up medal in his first season here and a League Cup runners-up medal this year."

Article doesn't say anything about replacements. Micko has gone on holiday to Aus btw. Don't know what to make of it all. Must mean Mahon has some players lined up or someone coming through. Perhaps he just noticed what we all did, Micko is not that good. Could never fault the man for his effort though and wish the club legend all the best in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Ball cocks.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    no appologies nessesary lads

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Did you ever read The Boy Who Cried Wolf? Sorry...

Soberer reflection - ball cocks. We now have one left back (McEniff), one left wing (Doyle) and one right back (Mahon). I don't understand these decisions at all (well Gannon sounded like he wanted to leave, but Micko?!). Micko mightn't have had his best season, but he's about the most consistent player we have - Player of the Year in 2003 (the curse strikes again) and is quite simply a better option than McEniff or Doyle on the left. And certainly a better option than their back-ups, cos we don't have any, unless Robbie Mac is re-signing, which I doubt. Makes no sense at all. Gonna come back and haunt us...

Our squad at the moment then -

Keepers
    Darren Quigley

Left backs
    Aaron McEniff

Right backs
    Alan Mahon

Centre backs
    Brian Shortall
    Conor Kenna
    Alan McNally

Right wing
    Stephen Hurley

Centre mid
    Gary Dicker
    Tony McDonnell

Left wing
    Derek Doyle

Forwards
    Robbie Martin
    Damo Dupuy (haven't heard any news on him, though he's said his goodbyes here!
    Paul Byrne
    Conan Byrne
    Pat McWalter
    Willie Doyle

There's a few U-21s as well to come through - Damien Kelly, Ronan Finn, Liam Tiernan - but not a huge amount (the U-21 team who beat Shels in the final featured Gally, Newguy, Derek Doyle and Conan, who are all included above).

Getting worried about this season already...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Did you ever read The Boy Who Cried Wolf? Sorry...

Soberer reflection - ball cocks. We now have one left back (McEniff), one left wing (Doyle) and one right back (Mahon). I don't understand these decisions at all (well Gannon sounded like he wanted to leave, but Micko?!). Micko mightn't have had his best season, but he's about the most consistent player we have - Player of the Year in 2003 (the curse strikes again) and is quite simply a better option than McEniff or Doyle on the left. And certainly a better option than their back-ups, cos we don't have any, unless Robbie Mac is re-signing, which I doubt. Makes no sense at all. Gonna come back and haunt us...

Our squad at the moment then -

Keepers
    Darren Quigley

Left backs
    Aaron McEniff

Right backs
    Alan Mahon

Centre backs
    Brian Shortall
    Conor Kenna
    Alan McNally

Right wing
    Stephen Hurley

Centre mid
    Gary Dicker
    Tony McDonnell

Left wing
    Derek Doyle

Forwards
    Robbie Martin
    Damo Dupuy (haven't heard any news on him, though he's said his goodbyes here!
    Paul Byrne
    Conan Byrne
    Pat McWalter
    Willie Doyle

There's a few U-21s as well to come through - Damien Kelly, Ronan Finn, Liam Tiernan - but not a huge amount (the U-21 team who beat Shels in the final featured Gally, Newguy, Derek Doyle and Conan, who are all included above).

Getting worried about this season already...
    Liam Tiernan is looking for another club been browned off by lack of first team opportunities at Belfield. I heard this from his Dad who works in my office block so that's about as authoratitive a source as can be got.
    Liam has already been linked with Kildare County!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Pineapple Stu, I imagine PM is anticipating playing Podge on the left, as per last year. We're still very light on the flanks though, and we could do with someone more experienced backing up Kenna and McNally - we suffered when they were injured this season, and I don't want to see Tony Mac pulled out of midfield again (honest Tony, it's because you're so good there... don't look at me like that!).

Hurley and Finn cover the centre of midfield, but that assumes we have someone to cover Hurley!

It almost looks like a new striker is the least of our worries!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Don't forget Kieran Harte for central midfield too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Sounds like ye're rightly in it for next season already....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83
    Pineapple Stu, I imagine PM is anticipating playing Podge on the left, as per last year.
    True, though I don't really want our top scorer on the wing! I've seen it before... We have Jimmy-Lee Billy-Bob as well, a winger we signed from Man City with a good reputation; made his debut in Cork but got injured shortyl after. Apparently hasn't justified his reputation yet though.

There doesn't even seem to be an abundance of U-21 players at other clubs for us to sign, as seen by how poor Shels were in the U-21 league final. It's the wrong time for us to be signing players from England. Here's hoping Cherry Orchard have just had a record breaking year!!

And no news on this experienced striker we were looking for either...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I'm still confident Paul Byrne could do the business for us.