Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

O'Donoghue murder case - Verdict in

Robert Holohan murder trial

Wayne O'Donoghue has been found Not Guitly of Murder
    Guilty of manslaughter

Quote from RTE News
    Wayne O'Donoghue has been found not guilty of murder but guilty of the manslaughter of 11-year-old Robert Holohan.

The jury at the Central Criminal Court, sitting in Cork, deliberated for four hours and 21 minutes before reaching a verdict.

O'Donoghue, an Engineering Student, had admitted killing his eleven-year-old neighbour in January of this year.
    Last edited by Eire06; 14/12/2005 at 3:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Seems fair to me - I don't think he intended to kill the guy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It all seemed a bit Sus IMO

stopping to get a bottle of lucozade with the kid in the Boot

returning to the scene to burn the bags not the body?

helping in the search and not finding the body for day's

no I'm sorry i think there is a lot of questions need answering

anyway whats the story with a 21 yearold being "great Friends" with an 11 yr old and his younger sister . something doesn't ring through there for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor
    I trust that all those questions, and more, were raised during the trial.

anyway whats the story with a 21 yearold being "great Friends" with an 11 yr old and his younger sister
    It's not unusual for people in rural communities to be friends with people of a different age group. When you don't have many neighbours close by, you tend to be friendly with the neighbours that you do have.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A lot of Wayne's actions after the death of Robert were very strange alright.
    I found the stopping at the shop to buy Lucosade particularly odd and chilling!!
    Doesn't seem like the actions of someone who accidentally killed a friend of his...
    But yet again who can say what goes through your mind after you kill someone

He also supposedly rang Roberts phone after he had disposed of the body

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure he panicked as most people would in that situation. Lucozade is great for calming the nerves

anyway whats the story with a 21 yearold being "great Friends" with an 11 yr old and his younger sister .
    Its called the country-side Block G. Doesn't happen up there in the big smoke but if you don't have neighbours for miles you can make friends with younger/older people. I'm sure they weren't best friends - just kicked around a ball whatever else.

something doesn't ring through there for me
    It mighn't "ring through" for you but it "rings true" for me

EDIT: Posted before I read Peadar's post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

anyway whats the story with a 21 yearold being "great Friends" with an 11 yr old and his younger sister . something doesn't ring through there for me
    From the little I know of the case it sounds like the correct decision.
    I assume he'll get a custodial sentence for the manslaughter now

I got the impression that the 'close friends' thing was a media invention. The only quotes from the families I've seen speak of how Robert looked up to Wayne, which is a completely different thing to friendship.

But Peadar may be on the money too.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar

It's not unusual for people in rural communities to be friends with people of a different age group. When you don't have many neighbours close by, you tend to be friendly with the neighbours that you do have.
    I understand that but I'd still find it strange for a 21yrold to have enough in common with an 11 yr old and 7yrold(I think she's 7) to enable them to have a strong friendship which is how its described in the sunday world last week
    sunday world also quotes o'donohoe's mother as saying "the three of them played together nearly every day", I dont know many 21yrolds that want to Play with their friends..No I'm not convinced that his intentions were honorable but I may be wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    ...which is how its described in the sunday world last week
    You might want to stop now before you dig yourself in any deeper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You might want to stop now before you dig yourself in any deeper.

Yes I know its in the sunday world so it must be true

still dont have much else to go on since I dont live in the area or know any of the protaganists in the case then I'm afraid Im left with the media
    I didnt buy the sw anyway me folks bought it in the boozer sat nite and i read it when i got home

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    still dont have much else to go on since I dont live in the area or know any of the protaganists in the case then I'm afraid Im left with the media
    In such cases, it's best to say nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I understand that but I'd still find it strange for a 21yrold to have enough in common with an 11 yr old and 7yrold(I think she's 7) to enable them to have a strong friendship which is how its described in the sunday world last week
    sunday world also quotes o'donohoe's mother as saying "the three of them played together nearly every day", I dont know many 21yrolds that want to Play with their friends..No I'm not convinced that his intentions were honorable but I may be wrong
    I'm in my 20's and I often go out to play football or basketball with the kids on my road..
    Are you sure you aren't a reporter... You seem to be looking for some seedy element to this case!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In such cases, it's best to say nothing.

I've just stated the opinion I have formed with the information provided to me
    am i not entitled to do that now

jebus peader take your head out of your hole for 1 minute
    at no stage did i say any of the above posts were Gospel
    just that the case left me with a few doubts as to the validity of the manslaughter plea bargain

It all sounds a bit like Ian Huntley's she fell in the bath story IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire06
    I'm in my 20's and I often go out to play football or basketball with the kids on my road..
    Are you sure you aren't a reporter... You seem to be looking for some seedy element to this case!!

Absolutely not a reporter
    not looking for something seedy in the case
    just wondering if all is not as we are being led to believe

I admit coming from the city i found the Idea of freindships like this being common in rural communites as complete B.S.
    but judging by the reactions on here to some from outside the capital I stand corrected!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    #

says it all really. block g think you could be right.

ah no block g, my neighbours are cool, they are only young, but i get on really well with them and mess about with them, and they are younger than 11!!! but how do you describe that relationship?? brothers is what i heard, not like best friends, cos brothers arent always best friends but you still mess about with them. i play wrestling and stuff with my young neighbours and look forward to going home so i can "play" with them, i put that in quotes because of the way you italiced it. all im saying is i dont have meaningful conversations with them so no i wouldnt describe them as best friends but what other way can you describe that sort of relationship???

nothing wrong with that to be honest, though his movement seemed very calculated.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Followed the case a good bit and the verdict seems right to me.
    Only two defence witnesses tells a story really.
    Apparently the Midleton cops got very emotionally involved and were hoping for the murder verdict.
    Still hope he gets a good few years.
    Its fairly common for someone to be wrestling or whatever with their brother and for the child to come up struggling for air but he assaulted the child and there was going to be pain.
    His actions afterwards showed bad character but his crime was done then and that had nothing to do with the charges really.
    Lucozade bottle was a fairly pointless thing to make a big deal of and showed the strength of their case. Maybe they could have gotten him for perverting the course of justice if he was trying to burn the body or something + lying in his statement.
    Also, think some of the reporting was very irresponsible. The Star front page last week was Robert in Killers Bedroom at 7.30am obviously suggesting a dimension of the case that was never even suggested by the prosecution.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea
    says it all really. block g think you could be right.

ah no block g, my neighbours are cool, they are only young, but i get on really well with them and mess about with them, and they are younger than 11!!! but how do you describe that relationship?? brothers is what i heard, not like best friends, cos brothers arent always best friends but you still mess about with them. i play wrestling and stuff with my young neighbours and look forward to going home so i can "play" with them, i put that in quotes because of the way you italiced it. all im saying is i dont have meaningful conversations with them so no i wouldnt describe them as best friends but what other way can you describe that sort of relationship???
    Agree.
    I always nick the ball off one of the young fellas in the park, round a few of them and bury one into the corner of the gate on the way to the bus.
    Or i'd go in goal for twenty minutes if my brother(11) and his buddys wanted a goalie.
    I'm 21.
    People, particularly older men who are involved in youth centres or scouts or even just kick a ball about the place with them, are considered fair game these days for unimaginative rumours and allegations.
    Its all pc crap and i've seen one person emotionally ruined from that kind of a campaign and people just owning up to their lies saying things like "He's just a strange fella".
    These are the same people who just let their kids off in the morning and don't have a clue what they're upto until whenever they decide to return.
    Maybe thats why spending time with their kids seems so 'strange'.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He's a year in prison now. I'd be suprised if he got any more than another couple of years. He may even be let off for serving 1 year.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    His actions after the killing are irrelevant imo. It's whether the killing is premeditated that is the big difference between murder and manslaughter ( as I understand it anyway).

Off topic, but it seems to be standard for the DPP to go for the higher charge the whole time, even when the accused is admitting the lesser charge. What is gained by pushing for murder? Except for lawyers making more money or the profile of people in the DPP....

In a rural environment, wouldn't be that unusual to mix with people a lot younger. It was probably no more than kicking a ball or a bit of slagging - similar to what happens within families with younger siblings...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I've just stated the opinion I have formed with the information provided to me
    am i not entitled to do that now
    Of course you're entitled to do that, but don't expect anyone to respect your opinion when it is formed on the basis of what you read in the Sunday World.

Do you think you're more knowledgeable than the prosecution and could have put forward a better case for murder?

Making reference to Ian Huntley is very irresponsible given that the only similarity between the cases is that young life was taken.

You make the assertion that my head is stuck in my hole, but I clearly have a far more objective view that someone with their head stuck in the Sunday World.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Have to admit you've won me over
    it seemed strange to me but I reckon on reading the posts here that you have convinced me that while the circumstances surrounding the case were unfortunate their was no attempt to actually kill the kid

may he rest in peace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast