Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eircom League must act fast to exploit feelgood factor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post Eircom League must act fast to exploit feelgood factor

Eircom League must act fast to exploit feelgood factor

The Genesis report was overly negative in criticising the domestic game but to enjoy more success the authorities must heed its warnings. By Paul Rowan

IT WOULD have been wall to wall following Friday night’s draw. Detailed analysis of the opposition, an itinerary and maps for the benefit of Brian’s army, interviews, perhaps the unveiling of a star columnist and closer scrutiny than ever of our Premiership players.

Ireland would have played their first match in Stuttgart, the site of the 1988 European Championship victory over England. What sort of mileage could we have got out of that? In all the excitement, few would have given a second thought to a sideshow such as last week’s FAI Cup final at Lansdowne Road, even if it did attract a crowd of 24,521. Brian Kerr will not appreciate the irony, but he will recognise as well than anybody that failure to qualify for the World Cup has had a favourable impact on the domestic game.

Read more at www.timesonline.co.uk
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Very good article.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    i still think the FAI should take over the league ,, but 12 teams in the super league is ok. Great article though. I think the EL has finally gained recognition both in England and Ireland. Once an EL team breaks into the group stages of the CL/UC we will be laughing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    I think the EL has finally gained recognition both in England and Ireland.
    Nowhere near it !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    go and read some of the newspapers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    go and read some of the newspapers
    If it were left to people like you then we'd never be without people to sell the league short. The 'recognition' that you are on about is only a fraction of what it actually warrants, we are still the poor cousins and there is alot of ground to be made up until it is otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The only "recognition" we have got so far is that we have some great young players and they'll only cost you a fraction of their actual value.
    The sports team from my area is superior to the sports team from your area.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    what are you on about AFACE ? We have been getting recognition lately. The fact that Jayo is in talks about going to Djurgardens is another example. The fact of the matter is the EL used to get zero coverage. They didnt even bother print the league in the sunday tribune for chr1st sake. Of course there is a long way to go but its progress.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    what are you on about AFACE ? We have been getting recognition lately. The fact that Jayo is in talks about going to Djurgardens is another example. The fact of the matter is the EL used to get zero coverage. They didnt even bother print the league in the sunday tribune for chr1st sake. Of course there is a long way to go but its progress.
    On a slightly OT but important note, has anyone noticed the massive difference in coverage of the league in the two new morning papers (Metro and Herald AM). The latter has little or no coverage of the league, don't think there is anything in there about Jayo's potential move, it is all United and Chelsea, while the Metro (apparently, I haven't seen it today) has a large back page story on the transfer.

It is something I have noticed recently, and have to say fair play to the Metro for its coverage. It hasn't gone unnoticed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJoeSoap
    It is something I have noticed recently, and have to say fair play to the Metro for its coverage. It hasn't gone unnoticed.
    I haven't read it at all but from what i hear, they seem to have a good attitude, not just on football but current affairs aswell ... is that right ??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    My point Jolly is that it is nowhere near enough ... just because it has improved, doesnt mean it is adequate .... it is very much far from it. I wouldn't be singing the praises just yet, fair enough acknowledge it but dont not settle for it.
    Last edited by A face; 12/12/2005 at 3:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    thats a fair enough point AFACE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Irish TV schedulers and sports editors and pundits, Hookie and all, should write out 100 times:
    'The final Eircom League game of the season four weeks ago was a television spectacular, bringing in an audience of 355,000, more than the numbers who sat down in front of the box for the Ireland v Australia rugby international played on the same weekend.'

When will they ever get it? Because their getting it is infinitely more to the point than the Genesis 'let's move some clubs around' solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley
    Irish TV schedulers and sports editors and pundits, Hookie and all, should write out 100 times:
    'The final Eircom League game of the season four weeks ago was a television spectacular, bringing in an audience of 355,000, more than the numbers who sat down in front of the box for the Ireland v Australia rugby international played on the same weekend.'

When will they ever get it? Because their getting it is infinitely more to the point than the Genesis 'let's move some clubs around' solution.
    All that proves is your lack of understanding of TV viewing figures (not having a pop at you in particular, nearly everyone on here is the same) What's important is audience share not the raw figure. The Ireland/Australia game had a bigger share despite the smaller audience. Also, advertisers like people who watch rugby a lot more than us low life football fans.

Having said all that, the figures this year have been really good (and RTÉ are very happy with them) but throwing raw figures around like the FAI are doing won't fool schedulers or advertisers.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers
    All that proves is your lack of understanding of TV viewing figures (not having a pop at you in particular, nearly everyone on here is the same) What's important is audience share not the raw figure. The Ireland/Australia game had a bigger share despite the smaller audience. Also, advertisers like people who watch rugby a lot more than us low life football fans.

Having said all that, the figures this year have been really good (and RTÉ are very happy with them) but throwing raw figures around like the FAI are doing won't fool schedulers or advertisers.

KOH
    sounds to me though, that both the Cork/ derry showdown and the cup final had bigger figures AND bigger audience share than most other football this year apart from the CL final and WC qualifiers - which means that people who do advertise to us low lifes should be interested

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers
    What's important is audience share not the raw figure.
    Are you saying that the figure is not correct cos people watch the game in pubs ?? Maybe so but that game, just got spanked be all Blacks and the time it was on too, were there many watching it in the pub.
    Also the cup final .... there were a fair few pubs in Cork packed watching the game. Along with Derry game on last day ... but i know what you're getting at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    I haven't read it at all but from what i hear, they seem to have a good attitude, not just on football but current affairs aswell ... is that right ??
    I can't say I have really noticed, sorry. I'll try keep an eye out over the next few days. They are certainly streets ahead of the Herald AM when it comes to EL thats for sure.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    Are you saying that the figure is not correct cos people watch the game in pubs ?? Maybe so but that game, just got spanked be all Blacks and the time it was on too, were there many watching it in the pub.
    Also the cup final .... there were a fair few pubs in Cork packed watching the game. Along with Derry game on last day ... but i know what you're getting at.
    As I read it, he meant that while the Ireland v Australia rugby match had a lower actual figure, it was a higher percentage of the people watching TV at that time. eg 355,000 might've been 20% of viewers, whereas the 290,000 (or whatever the rugby got) might've been 40%.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    As I read it, he meant that while the Ireland v Australia rugby match had a lower actual figure, it was a higher percentage of the people watching TV at that time. eg 355,000 might've been 20% of viewers, whereas the 290,000 (or whatever the rugby got) might've been 40%.
    That's it in a nutshell. I'll dig out the actual figures this afternoon. www.medialive.ie is a good site for figures. It's not fully up to date but you'll see the difference between audience share (TVR) and the actual numbers watching. Medialive is used by the advertising industry as a tool to decide where to advertise.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Ah yeah, i get ya ..... lads, this might be a dumb question but if i were advertising, wouldn't my interest be in getting as many people to see it as possible to get maximun exposure, i mean the audience share percentage might be higher, but doesn't that still mean there are less people watching it i.e. if the whole viewing figure was 1,000 people and 900 people watched the rugby .... that is still only 900 people, what good is 90% to ya then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast