Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate your job?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Rate your job?

Just wondering how people feel about the jobs they have. It's rare ye find someone who really likes there job. The girlfriend now...she loves her job and would probably give it 9/10 maybe more. Myself...I'm not so crazy bout my job and would probably give it 6/10......Thats taking everything into consideration...money, satisfaction etc....

What do people think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Great idea for a thread, amigo.
    I'm kinda retired now but my attitude to teaching really took off when I qualified as a remedial teacher (don't laugh anybody ) in 1987. Don't know about the kids but it certainly helped me a bit. LOL
    Seriously, I'd give the period from 1987 to 1997 as terrific in that aspect of the job...9/10. Plus starting up footie with the kids in school and getting them involved in organising, fund raising for gear, arranging matches, PR etc.
    *BTW when the kids had the odd free class and I was supervising them you wouldn't believe the amount of sorting out and compiling Athlone Town programmes, posters etc we got through LMAO)
    I also loved the parent teacher meetings when I'd be on good terms with parents and we'd work together to help/assist their kids. I also DELIGHTED in putting some smug, mouthy gits (parents) in their places when their kids were acting the b@llocks and producing minute and forensic evidence to back any of my criticisms up. Jaysus, the ashen look on their faces when I did this money couldn't buy. I'd say to some well off parents whose kids were messing "If some parents spent less time on the golf course and more time with their kids on making them do their homework then everyone would benefit". A general comment TBH but the message was well and truly understood. heh heh
    I also worked both full time and part time in football and that was a 10/10. Best times of my life.

Horrible Hamish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Tough one.

On one level my job is quite interesting and I'd probably be happy enough if left to my own devices, the problem isn't the job itself but the group I work in, there's a lot of politics and ass-kissing as people scramble to be noticed. It makes the day to day sh!tty tbh.

Also it's an American company with a large HR dept, and some of the 'motivational' (actually patronising) sh!te they come out with is just terrible.

Of course, I don't think I get paid enough for what I actually do (when I'm not on here ).

On the whole, maybe a 5/10
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    Also it's an American company with a large HR dept, and some of the 'motivational' (actually patronising) sh!te they come out with is just terrible.

hehe .. where a problem is a banned word, to be replaced bythe word "issue". I recall working for a large US software firm in Dublin, and being in a room full of Spanish, Germans, Belgians, Italians et etc and two other Irish lads at our weekly "Debriefing" meeting. Yes, debrief is apparently a word. Our Hungarian team leader made some big speech which I could hardly understand with words straight out of the manual and "you guys, we have to make the bench this week!". I don't think a week went by where myself and the other two lads where in fits of laughter.

Also had to get counselling for being two minutes late on more than 5 occasions in one month.

10/10 for the Europeans I was working and all social life that went with that
    1/10 for the job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've worked in IT for the last 4 years and I've never enjoyed it - hence all the time I spend on here. I give the whole IT industry a big 0/10 for job satisfaction.

I'm applying to go back to college to become a primary school teacher - I've done some teaching and found it very rewarding. I'd give that a 9/10.
    Last edited by finlma; 09/12/2005 at 8:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I wouldn't say I dislike my job but I don't love it either. But due to "re-structuring" which means they are paying off people in our other depot and transferring the work up here without adding to our numbers, I'd say pretty soon I'll hate it because I'm not going to have time to fart never mind check out foot.ie

So 7/10 at the moment but pretty soon 5/10 I'd say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Spent 6 years training and working as an accountant/auditor and was bored stupid The social life was good but the job was sole destroying 0/10.

Got involved in aviation 10 years ago and now work in aircraft leasing and aircraft parts supply business. Absolutley love it. Most people I have come across in the aviation business tend to feel the same way. I would have to give it 10/10. I couldn't see myself doing anything else.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Current job is alright 6/10, start a new one on Monday though...
    Sitting pretty!!!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I'll start off by saying I can't wait to retire. Any job to me is just a chore to give me money to enable me to live. I'd rather be at home pottering around doing jobs in the house or garden or whereever. As jobs go, I'll go 7/10 at the moment as I'm involved in a few projects that are interesting and I'm learning new systems stuff all the time. HR wise, this place is the pits and is another An Post waiting to happen. Staff wise bit hit and miss.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    I'm applying to go back to college to become a primary school teacher - I've done some teaching and found it very rewarding. I'd give that a 9/10.
    Funny that, O Beeslow woman who refuses to admit it , if I had the choice again, I would rather be a Primary Teacher too. Bubbles dad (bro. in law) is a Principal of one and will be saddened when he retires next June.

Very best of luck BTW - I'm sure you'll be a great teacher from what I've garnered from your personality on here.

Best of luck Drumcondra Red in your new career too amigo. I notice the the Viper has a new debt. collection company set up...bit of a coincidence that, hah??? (Dammit forgot to put in a "tongue sticking out" smiley.
    Last edited by hamish; 09/12/2005 at 9:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    My job is fine. It really is what you make of it. My hours are nice, my collegues are nice, the money is good and the work can be interesting. I am always busy and its good to know my paycheck is not in danger of being late. It lets me do things outside of work and they are very accomadating and put up with me. We have a decent canteen and we are treated well.

Outside of how the job is, my satisfaction in my job is as high as it could be in a job like this. I would love to have the luxury of doing a different job but that different job is not realistic until I am very rich so until then I will just have to wait and work myself to it.

Job Rating : 9/10
    Personal Happiness : 7/10
    Money : 10/10
    Hours: 10/10
    For all your League of Ireland news - www.extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    Amazing that tiktok, I worked for AT Cross (US pen manufacturers) here for the guts of two years and everything you said in that paragraph is oh so bang on the button.

As regard the expressions used, when I was working in Football, we used to deal with Irish Permanent (as they were then called) and I've lost count of the times a young Marketing lass would arrange a meeting by saying, "We'll touch base on Wednesday". I used to reply, "Can't we not have a meeting instead?"
    Where the fcuk do they get these terms? Are they trained to say it or what??
    Is there some dark room they're brought into where they're brainwashed or something?

BTW what does HR mean??
    Last edited by hamish; 09/12/2005 at 9:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    My job 9/10.

I work in a well-known sports store. I work on shoes. It's so cushy.

The only problems are looking for shoes. If you get bored or stressed you can just step into the stockroom and **** about for a bit. Great craic with the other people that work there. It's a great laugh. I get to meet lots of the Bray players too.

The one bad point is what I get paid, which is not that bad for a part-timer.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    Very best of luck BTW - I'm sure you'll be a great teacher from what I've garnered from your personality on here.
    Thanks Hamish - I have the interview for the postgrad this day next week. Ta me ag caint as Gaelige go h-ionduil anois.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just came to I.T., after 7 years in retail, last feb and have to say so far I'm loving it 8/10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ádh mór ort Fin! Beidh tú ceart go leor!
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    BTW what does HR mean??
    Human Resources

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    Thanks Hamish - I have the interview for the postgrad this day next week. Ta me ag caint as Gaelige go h-ionduil anois.
    Táim féin liofa sa Gaeilge mar freastalaíonn me ar scoil lán-Gaeilge. Tá sé níos éasca a labhairt ná Bearla, dar liom.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Well i'm a final year degree student at the moment so i would give that a big fat 0.
    By the way whats the going rate for someone going into the IT industry on their first job with a degree

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I left college into a job on 32, 000 irish and then worked backwards in salary for a few years . It really depends on your experience and ability. A degree is all good but do you know anything?
    For all your League of Ireland news - www.extratime.ie

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast