Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: League format next season?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

League format next season?

i hope the emphasis next season will be on keeping teams in contention for promotion/relegation for as long as possible as opposed to the current system where you could be out of contention and have nothing to play for after 7 games . I say 3 up 3 down with a play off between the 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th for the 2nd and 3rd promotion spots. Teams/players need competition, supporters need hope .. what do you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I dont know how true it is, but I've heard that there will be no promotion and no relegation this season. Thats because of the new Genisis format in 2007. Ye had a Genisis speaker a few weeks back. Is there any truth in what I am hearing?
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

Exclamation What the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Redzer
    I dont know how true it is, but I've heard that there will be no promotion and no relegation this season. Thats because of the new Genisis format in 2007. Ye had a Genisis speaker a few weeks back. Is there any truth in what I am hearing?
    What do you mean by no promotion!

Whats the fckin point of the league then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan

The new league will consist of 10 elite teams (United being the top one according to genesis) and 2 lower regionalised league. So no promotion/relegation next year but a new set up entirely.

FAO Redzer/ where would sligo stand here as they didnt attend the genesis meetings along with one or two other clubs? Could this jepordise (sp?) there chances of getting into the elite 10?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    The new league will consist of 10 elite teams (United being the top one according to genesis) and 2 lower regionalised league. So no promotion/relegation next year but a new set up entirely.

FAO Redzer/ where would sligo stand here as they didnt attend the genesis meetings along with one or two other clubs? Could this jepordise (sp?) there chances of getting into the elite 10?
    I have no idea, AFAIK they did liaison with Genesis, but did not attend the launch. But I would assume meeting the criteria would dictate who goes where. I am not aware of any other club apart from Galway, been told that they will be part of the 10 elite teams. I was not even aware that 10 elite teams had been ratified as been the top tier. I assume you have some inside into what has been decided, so who are the other 9 elite clubs?
    I'd guess that we would be up near the top, but I dont know if we would make the top 10, it all depends on the criteria been laid down.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzer
    I am not aware of any other club apart from Galway, been told that they will be part of the 10 elite teams. I was not even aware that 10 elite teams had been ratified as been the top tier. I assume you have some inside into what has been decided, so who are the other 9 elite clubs?
    I'd guess that we would be up near the top, but I dont know if we would make the top 10, it all depends on the criteria been laid down.
    They only mentioned Galway as an example, as they believe that every club should follow in our footsteps if the league was to grow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Genesis have told GUFC that our strategic plan is the best in the league and that they think we should be in the proposed ten team league.

No club has been guaranteed a place in this league. I would imagine that our league performance this year will be a major factor in determining our fate in 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    [QUOTE=Patrick Dunne
    No club has been guaranteed a place in this league. I would imagine that our league performance this year will be a major factor in determining our fate in 2007.[/QUOTE]

That would be my understanding also. Quotes like"The new league will consist of 10 elite teams (United being the top one according to genesis)" is misleading and untruthful.
    I would imagine a hell of alot of work will have to be done by ourselves and you also, in order to achieve the elite division. But we are two clubs with a good foundation in place. Lets keep it going.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan

The point will be to make a good enough showing so that GUFC are chosen as one of the 10 in the new elite league. I would think that the top 5-7 from the Premiership and the the top 3-5 from D1 will be the teams selected, as long as they all have an acceptable strategic plan, ala GUFC, in place, IMHO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos80
    The point will be to make a good enough showing so that GUFC are chosen as one of the 10 in the new elite league. I would think that the top 5-7 from the Premiership and the the top 3-5 from D1 will be the teams selected, as long as they all have an acceptable strategic plan, ala GUFC, in place, IMHO.
    I fail to understand the logic of what you are saying. How do you come up with a statement saying the top 5ish from the Premier and the top 5ish from the 1st Div will be in an elite league? It just doesn’t make for any kind of rational argument.
    What gives any club the right to be in an elite division, on the basis of one seasons result?
    What is “an acceptable strategic plan”? Surely every club in the country wishes to be in the top flight. If the only criteria, or the main criteria for achieving that wish, are some obscure document, then every club will have the brains of the country compiling such a document. After all they have 12 months to draft it. So, on your logic whoever comes up with the best “strategic plan” becomes a member of the elite.
    Supposing Galway finishes out of the top 5 places (and I’m not saying they will). What happens then? Is it down to what their document says? Galway may or may not have the best document now, but give it 12 months down the road; it may not be the case.
    Supposing Cork, Shelbourne or Derry finishes bottom of the Premier, will they be included or excluded.
    At the moment, I wouldn’t get to excited because of what one individual told you about your plan. It needs to be specifically stated to ALL clubs exactly what are the necessary requirements to gain admission to the top table of Irish football.
    Yes, plans for the future must be in place. But I would expect the standards for admission to an elite league would go far deeper than that. To be quite honest I don’t believe, even Genesis knows what that standard will be.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

ya youre right

does anyone know, the eircomleague fai quango is asking teams to be professional and a lot of teams are back training etc but there is no sign of fixture lists or anything not to mind details of format. GUFC have a long way to go before we will be one of the "elite" it will take a lot more than a document to get us up the value chain. We are mighty at launches and fancy posters etc but we still had the situation were we lost the league because our executive didnt meet and 1 lad took it on himself to change a game forward because of a wedding?

lets face facts lads and get working together and stop talking crap and excluding automatically from the club does who express opinions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hey, I was only formulating an opinion, based on what has been written here, and on other websites, including the FAI. But you can NOT believe that when the new Elite league begins play in '07 that at least some of those clubs will be from the '06 D1. Just be glad that in your league a lower division club has SOME hope of playing in the top tier. Over here there is NO pro/rel, so no matter what a USL D1 side does, like Seattle (12 above .500 seasons in a row, and 4 appearances in league finals, winning 3 of them), the only way they'll play in the MLS is if their ownership wishes to spend $15 million for an expansion club.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would say from the First Division the top 2 go up and the 3rd place gos in to a play off, from the Premier Division I would say the bottom to go down and third last goes into a playoff between thwem and 3rd in the First Division.