Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: European Season 2006

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

European Season 2006

Ok lads, Cork City in the Champions League, Derry City and Drogheda United in the UEFA and Shelbourne in the Intertoto. I think this is our best four options for Europe at the moment. All the teams are top of the table teams. What do you think about our chances for the season in Europe next year. I know its a mile off but I think we are set up well? With Cork winning the league and Drogs the cup, its two regions that will now hopefully get even bigger crowds and profile.
    For all your League of Ireland news - www.extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    the only complaint is Shelbourne in the inter to to . UEFA Cup would be a lot fairer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Unfortunately we didn't get ourselves into a position to merit a UEFA spot but hey e have another season to gve it a go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the only complaint is Shelbourne in the inter to to . UEFA Cup would be a lot fairer
    A lot fairer? What would you do, throw us or Drogs out to allow $hels who don't deserve the spot as they haven't qualified?
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Speranza, Derry earned their position and so did Drogs. I am not sure what was meant by a lot fairer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I agree Gareth, our four best teams in Europe.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair enough. Our four best teams are in Europe. Nothing stopping $hels going very far in the inter-toto. Our team are really young and most have never played in Europe before, I just hope we can get through at least one round.

I just want us to win the Setanta more than anything next year. Payback time for us against the I.F.A. Can't wait.
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    We'll see lads... It could go belly up for Derry or Drogs. Shelbourne FC have proven themselves in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    But we are a better team. The league table doesn't lie therefore we are better equipped for the UEFA.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Shels and Cork will do well - hopefully building on the last couple of years. Stephen Kenny has turned Derry into a great team and they should get past a round with an any way decent draw. Drogheda haven't impressed me at all this season - with a full-time team, they should be doing a lot better than 26 points off the champions. I can see a first-round exit for them. Still, if we can match last season's exploits - which didn't even equate to all three teams winning both their first round ties and losing both their second round ties - we'll be doing very well.

Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    What a remarkably stupid comment. You sound like a Cork fan...

Edit- In fact, that's probably unfair to Cork fans...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Am I right in thinking that the Inter Toto will be restructured to put 11 teams into the 2nd qualifying round of the UEFA Cup now and that there will only be three rounds? I'd have faith in Shels to have a chance of causing an upset or two and doing this if they can carry on recent form.

I expect Derry to make it to the 2nd qualifying round and possibly Drogs. I don't expect them to make it any further but wouldn't be surprised to see Derry go a round further.

I also expect Cork to go to the 2nd qualifying round of the CL but think they probably won't make it any further, would love to see them hit the safety net of the third round though.

I think all we can realistically hope for is that all sides negotiate their first rounds and hopefully one of the bunch cause a further upset.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Incidentally, where are Drogheda going to play their UEFA Cup games? Tolka?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Best 4 teams in Europe but the Intertoto doesnt count for anything so really we have our 1st 2nd and 4th best in europe.

I dont think Drogheda are up to much but then I didnt see the Cup Final. Maybe after a year of up's and down's they are ready to do something but they will be unseeded and I wouldnt hold out much hope of them going through.

Derry I dont know what to make of. Every week during the season I was expecting them to start falling down the table and it never happened. On paper they dont appear too strong and I dont think they will repeat this years form unless they add a couple of players so it all depends on how they go from here.

Cork are in the champions league which is a different story to the UEFA in the early rounds. You can get very unlucky in the draw so its too hard to predict. If they can avoid 2 or 3 teams then they should win one round. I cant see them getting past any of the second round teams unless they draw a near bottom seed.
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    if i were a betting man i would only put money on

CCFC to do well IF they get a 1/2 decent draw.

Shels to get to the 2nd or 3rd round of the most meaningless competition.

Derry scrape into 2nd round.

Drogs are a total unknow quality. 1 draw and 1 lose. Out in the 1st round

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    if i were a betting man i would only put money on

CCFC to do well IF they get a 1/2 decent draw.

Shels to get to the 2nd or 3rd round of the most meaningless competition.

Derry scrape into 2nd round.

Drogs are a total unknow quality. 1 draw and 1 lose. Out in the 1st round
    hold on, shels have had one good season in europe EVER.

cork had a great intertoto run and the next season a very credible UEFA one.

how are they less well equipped than shels?

more ****e form olly's stable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    On paper they dont appear too strong and I dont think they will repeat this years form unless they add a couple of players so it all depends on how they go from here.
    Once again we are under-rated. The reason we did and will do so well is because what you precieve to "not looking strong on paper" is just our squad being hard work and youthful not ****ing prima-dona fairies a la $hels and Cork.

2-0, 2-1, 2-1 That's how we beat you three times this season. We drew once so run along with your idea of us having a fluke season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    hold on, shels have had one good season in europe EVER.

cork had a great intertoto run and the next season a very credible UEFA one.

how are they less well equipped than shels?

more ****e form olly's stable.
    I did comment on the original comment being silly. Being a Shels fan which clearly is your idea of being in Ollies Stable, you should really take a balanced view from the fans and not just one and then tar us all? As a Rovers fan, I'd have expected you to be sick of people doing that to you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    At the end of the day, Derry have no record in Europe, either have Drogs. I just pray for the 1.666. To be honest it could be 0.666

What are you on about Roverstillidie , what will you be doing next season when were playin in the inter to bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thejollyrodger, please stop posting on this topic, you are making all Shels fans out to be as thick as you.
    I wholeheartedly agree that Cork City are the team most equipped to do well in Europe this season. Their approach to European games is very admirable IMO as they play them like any other EL game, going out to attack the opposition and try to win the game.
    Shels on the other hand are dire to watch in Europe as Fenlon continuously employs a stupid4-5-1 in the hope of merely keeping the score down which is why we didn't do ourselves justice against Steaua, Lille etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    At the end of the day, Derry have no record in Europe, either have Drogs.
    At the end of the day, records stand for nothing! You can have a poor season and there is nothing to suggest that Shels, Cork, Derry or Drogs will or wont do well next season, simple as that.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast