Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: What should I do with corkcityfc.org?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts

What should I do with corkcityfc.org?

Shortly after Cork City cancelled their contract with me last year, I registered corkcityfc.org, which I intended using for an unofficial Cork City website (i.e. it was most certainly not cybersquatting). I never got around to this, and the domain name is now due to expire in five days. Should I let it expire or renew it?

I'd also be interested in what Foot.ie City fans think I should do with these domain names (I also have corkcityfc.net, which is used for free email). Should I keep them and let them sit? Should I keep them and develop something on them? Should I donate them to the club, or someone else? Et cetera.

adam

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Talk to Lennox about it. The club /needs/ a website really badly but, if he's not interested, chuck em out if you want.

Donie

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Tough one Adam. As much as Id like to see another City site, I think that City Net is grand for a unofficial site, and to better it would take your time away from Foot.ie, which might mean that this site would not progress, as it has done reciently. Id love to see a propper official CCFC site, run and maintained (info wise) by the club, so Id say give the club one of the domain names (by selling it or donating it, its your money, so its your choice). Im sure that Lennox would like a propper official site aswell.

Either way, its your call.
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Thanks peeps, keep it coming...

Tough one Adam. As much as Id like to see another City site, I think that City Net is grand for a unofficial site

Indeed, it's a wonderful site, and that's why I would consider it as one for donation of the .org domain name. I'm not sure how the situation stands for next year though - John's put a lot of work into that site /for nuthin/, I'm not sure how long it can last. (This isn't denegration of John's committment, more realism.)

and to better it would take your time away from Foot.ie, which might mean that this site would not progress, as it has done reciently

To be clear, this isn't currently even an option. Much as I'd /like/ to develop a website for City, there is absolutely zerro chance of me doing it again without a rock-steady commercial agreement, including a getout-clause-free guarantee of support from the club. (Note that "commercial agreement" doesn't necessarily mean an exchange of cash. ("Will work for bandwidth.")) Foot.ie is the kiddy for me, I want to see it develop and get better and better. I'm just not 100% sure how to go about that...

Id love to see a propper official CCFC site, run and maintained (info wise) by the club

Ditto. (And of course I'd love to be the one running it.)

so Id say give the club one of the domain names (by selling it or donating it, its your money, so its your choice). Im sure that Lennox would like a propper official site aswell.

That's the path I was aiming towards anyway, but that's really .net territory. Which leaves me with .org. Hmmm, I'm back where I started -- bloody snakes!

adam
    Last edited by dahamsta; 12/05/2002 at 1:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    IMO, donate them to the club provided that they pay you (or somebody else if you dont have time) to develop and run the site.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How about an online shop for City related merchandise, a ticket booth for match tickets/supporter buses for away games and it could also be a contact point for the City office that Lennox has talked about. Why not talk to Lennox about it. Hmmm....I suppose this would really turn into the official club site then, and is that what you want??

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Lightbulb

I'd like to see an official siter again but IMO given the way the club run they aimed too high.

A "new" offical site could use foot.ie as its forum or else just don't have one. Forget online ticket booths & such "fancy" developments. Stick with the core needs for an offical site of info on the club (ground, location, calendar, prices etc...), upcoming matches etc.....

I think the club should consider a website as part of their marketing budget - it will not pay for itself but may bring in indirect revenue.

Easy for me to tell you to keep paying for the domian Adam but its not my money.

Neil
    I like the idea of corkcityfc.org being used as a very basic contact and information page for Cork City Football Club. There could also be links to Citynet for buying merchandise and to foot.ie for Discussion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    i'd love to see something along the lines of Hoof! again. an unnofficial website where we can have a laugh and a joke. its badly misses.

I guess its the clubs perogative to look after an official wbsite....weont hold my breath.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Hmmmm. I guess I'll hold onto it and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback guys (and gals, if appropriate).

adam