Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Charlton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Foot.ie! Jack Charlton

has anyone seen the new jack charlton dvd and is it any good? (well im sure it is,there are lots of good memories from that era)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    was thinkin of gettin a hold of it myself...but since the lack of qualification I've been somewhat down...

What I can say is if you get yourself a hold of ''The Charlton Years'' on video it has all the memories and some.... its a great video with well chosen music and very well shot etc....This new one seemed to be a bit of a money spinner having been released around the swiss game. i reckon they thought if we qualified they would have sold like hot cakes...but alas...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    It's not great to be honest - too much chat and stories you've probably heard before and very little in the way of actual footage.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    It's not great to be honest - too much chat and stories you've probably heard before and very little in the way of actual footage.
    True. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. I expected it to have all the goals from the qualifying campaigns during Charlton's time in charge but there is very little match footage on it. It's more just anecdotes from players and a couple of Irish celebrities. It's worth watching once but there is very little repeat value in it. On the plus side, Colm Meaney is the presenter and comes across very well as a genuine supporter of the Intl team. Also the cheesy graphics and music from previous Ireland videos are gone.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would agree it’s not that great, in fact the couple of clips
    that were posted on this site recently got the memories flooding
    back & the hairs on the back of my head up far more than watching
    that dvd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    True. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. I expected it to have all the goals from the qualifying campaigns during Charlton's time in charge but there is very little match footage on it. It's more just anecdotes from players and a couple of Irish celebrities. It's worth watching once but there is very little repeat value in it. On the plus side, Colm Meaney is the presenter and comes across very well as a genuine supporter of the Intl team. Also the cheesy graphics and music from previous Ireland videos are gone.
    Does Ollie Byrne pop up in the middle of it?

I say this because the last Colm Meaney-fronted sporting nostalgia DVD, last year's on Dublin 70's football, had several interviews of former players sitting in the stands at Tolka (clearly they were refused permission to film at Croker and just brought their gear down to the nearest stadium). Ollie seems to have allowed this on the condition that he gets a few minutes of waffle on the DVD. So his ugly mug comes on and says something about how he was never interested in Gaelic but he does remember Dublin winning something once. Eh, thanks for that Ollie.
    Last edited by Jerry The Saint; 25/11/2005 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    looks like it a non runner for this xmas,will stick with what i have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    i might just get it for the WC2006 and think of all the good times sniff

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REPUBLIC-OF-IR...QQcmdZViewItem

.....found this while having a look round...it would probably do the trick during lonely world cup nights....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    dont get this dvd. there is no bleedin football in it! they must have been to cheap to pay rte for the footage or something. and they only interview a couple of the people involved(altho they are interesting interviews) a shame cause there is a much better documentary to be made on the era.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Are any of the original video's available on DVD? You know, the qualifying campaigns etc?

It's actually a market that is really missed out on. A firm brought one out for United, with the original ITV highlights of the 1985 FA Cup semi's and final. Quality to watch, and far better than anything with bullshít talk over the top and more interviews than action....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Was thinking that alright. Would love to see 10 minutes of each of the qualifying games and then 30 minutes of each of the finals games. Could do a series going all the way back to whenever RTÉ started showing games (66 anyway?). I'll just have to rely on the video collection I have of all of Ireland's World Cup finals games (except Egypt) from when they were originally played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    anyone know where i can get the old documentaries,que sera sera,etc... possibly on dvd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Wink money mad jack

jack was always a lover of money,i think this dvd is just a top up for his pension
    Fail to prepare,prepare to fail--R.keane.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highlight100
    anyone know where i can get the old documentaries,que sera sera,etc... possibly on dvd
    You might be lucky and find one in HMV or something like that but I'd say your best best is to try the RTE Website. Most of these DVD's are produced by RTE so they may still be selling them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    You might be lucky and find one in HMV or something like that but I'd say your best best is to try the RTE Website. Most of these DVD's are produced by RTE so they may still be selling them.
    not much luck there...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Thumbs down

this is the worst programme i have ever seen about the irish team ever. just a bunch of cr appy interviews where the interviewees seem completely bored and uninterested. I actually bought it because the inlay said it featured qualification for euro 1992-some cracking games, but of course all it has is people talking about the bloody games!

I was so disgusted at the quality of this dvd that i brought it back to hmv-first time in my life i've ever returned a dvd or cd.

The lad who took it back said i wasnt the first either. Charlton and all associated should be ashamed of themselves.
    I

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Have to agree with a lot of the comments here. Very little footage of the action and the longest story dealt with the team meeting the pope which was of little interest. Stapleton was moaning as usual but it was nice to hear Giles say some nice things about Jack for a change. Eoin Hand was his usual begrudging self ("It should have been me") but there was really very little new in the whole thing. Didn't know he shed a tear at Anfield though.

I have the tape of a previous version of the Charlton Years shown on RTE some years ago (the one which ends with him on his way to the airport in the taxi which was much better) and also have many old games also on Betamax I must do a catalogue of them all sometime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    yeah there were 2 editions of the charlton years. the first was the free tape that they gave out to people at some match at landsdown road, then they showed the unedited (just has more footage n stuff) version on rte a few weeks later. great vid it was.

Honestly with all this nostalgia we're getting as bad as the north and their constant yammering about their 1-0 win over spain in 1982!
    I

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dvd

I've watched the DVD and think some of you are missing the point. My take on the DVD is that it is more an attempt to assess the Charlton era and its impact since than just showing clips of games etc. I enjoyed listening to both those who would have been in the Charlton camp and those who were not big fans of Charlton e.g Frank Stapleton. For once in his life he actually spoke reasonably well.

Agreed it could have done with showing a bit more of the games but I enjoyed it all the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast