Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of survival in Premier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cost of survival in Premier

From Eleven-a-side.com

Dublin City chairman Ronan Seery admits he learned some valuable lessons during the club’s ill-fated first stint in the Premier Division last year – and insists his club will be better-equipped for life in the top flight should they edge out Shamrock Rovers in Friday night’s play-off second leg.

The Vikings hold a 2-1 advantage from Tuesday night’s first leg at Dalymount Park.

That makes them favourites going into the return at Tolka in front of the live Setanta cameras on Friday night – and Seery is confident his side can hold their own next year if they seal the last remaining spot in the Premier Division.

He told the Irish Daily Star: “We probably went up a year too early last time. I didn’t really know what it took to survive from a financial and marketing point of view.

“But I learned an awful lot from that experience. I know what is needed now to survive in the Premier Division and you are looking at €500,000. I think we can achieve that figure ... Carrolls are on board next year and we have done a deal with Umbro, which is substantial for the club.

“There are a lot of investors out there who are prepared to back us so at this stage promotion means absolutely everything to the club.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redrov2005
    Carrolls are on board next year and we have done a deal with Umbro, which is substantial for the club.
    Well we have Tohers and Jako on board with us .
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    Well we have Tohers and Jako on board with us .
    All respect to Jako and Tohers, but we will need much bigger sponsors if we are to survive. We must appoint a commercial manager immediately. His first task IMO would be to bring a major national sponsor, like Beamish, from a few seasons back.
    It says on the Champion that we are trying to sell 1000 season tickets before end of January. That is a must, if we are to have money for Sean to bring in players.
    I would say we need at least 400,000 euro to survive. It’s a different ball game from the 1st division. If we don’t adapt early, we will be left behind. Sean seems to know what he needs, so it’s a major task for the MC to come up with the cash.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzer
    It says on the Champion that we are trying to sell 1000 season tickets before end of January.
    Saw that alright. I cant see us reaching that figure to be honest, hopefully we will but I very much doubt it..
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    E500K is a minimum for survival. If Sligo are bringing in full-timers you would have to be looking at E600-E750,000. I'd say that there are three 2005 First Division clubs already on E500K budgets.

Redzer is correct. No offence to Tohers and Jako. With guaranteed TV coverage, you could expect to attract a major sponsor easily.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What is the 500k for - the club or for wages? Big question, no way would 500k for the club be good enough, that would only allow at most 350k for wages and taxes. I think 700k will be the miniumu required and thats without any full time players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Saw that alright. I cant see us reaching that figure to be honest, hopefully we will but I very much doubt it..
    It's this kind of pessism that must be left at the door when we enter into Premier Division football. Why cant the club sell 1,000 tickets ? Is it not better to be ambitious and try to get as close to this figure as possible. If the club said they wanted to sell only 500 then we'd be saying they should be selling a 1,000. Are you going to be buying a season ticket ? I know I will, becuase at least it's one simple way of doing my part in keeping us in the Premier. Hopefully the club will sell alot more than they would normally do. I hope the pricing structure will give everyone the chance and incentive to be able to buy a season ticket.

In terms of sponsorship, to comment like that on Tohers and Jako is very negative and disrespectful. People need to realise that we are going into the Premier Division on the back of six consecutive seasons in the wilderness of the 1st Division, throughtout which Tohers and Jako put money into the club. These sponsors now deserve any exposure they get next season. It's ok to want National sponsors and i really hope we get a few in, but local sponsors must be appreciated and without them who knows if sligo rovers would be here today.

C.mon people. We're going to be playing Premier Division football next season, so enough of the pessimisim sligoman and let's all do our own bit to ensure we never have to drop back into the graveyard of the first division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You are right about the pessimism. I will be buying a season ticket and i reckon people should go out and join the 400 Club.

My only gripe with the club hoping to sell 1,000 tickets is that sometimes they need to pitch it more cleverly. They should be marketing and promoting ia night at the Showgrounds as a fun night out with entertainment for all the family. They should try and get some pre match and half time entertainement going be it a penalty competition or a band playing.

It would certainly help the athmosphere ! Any chance that the dull Pa system could be sorted ?

The truth is that the club needs to raise more revenue and the appointment of a commercial manager is essential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephin
    C.mon people. We're going to be playing Premier Division football next season, so enough of the pessimisim sligoman and let's all do our own bit to ensure we never have to drop back into the graveyard of the first division.
    I dont call it pessimisim, I call it reality, a harsh one, but reality all the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I dont call it pessimisim, I call it reality, a harsh one, but reality all the same.
    So your buying a season ticket then??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Well ill be trying to get one next year and i havent really before and i'm sure theres plenty like me so you never know..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzer
    It says on the Champion that we are trying to sell 1000 season tickets before end of January
    Where can you buy season tickets???

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They'll send letters to season ticket holders from last season to renew their ticket! You can just ring the club or ask in jako for one either!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If we could do something like Galway did and get the business community in Sligo involved I'm sure we would reach 1000 season tickets

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Out of curiousity, does anybody know how much Tohers and Jako give Rovers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah That's a very good idea and they should sell them in more shops.
    Put up a few posters and get on the radio and sell it as a gift idea. They should also have family tickets.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    will put a query in on this and report back when i get some info.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down Rovers fined E500!!

The club have been fined E500 for the ''ignition of a flare'' after the athlone game! this is an absolute disgrace! it was thrown in front of the shed, after the final whistle and lasted for about 10seconds! its a disgrace being fined so much for a little flare. who reports things like this to the fai? it couldnt have been the Ref, linesmen or 4th official coz they would have been in their dressing room by then! is it the ref's assesor? such dry c**ts whoever it was!
    also Kaps has been suspended for 1 game after reaching 4 penalty points....if hes playin next year??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feo123
    The club have been fined E500 for the ''ignition of a flare'' after the athlone game! this is an absolute disgrace! it was thrown in front of the shed, after the final whistle and lasted for about 10seconds! its a disgrace being fined so much for a little flare. who reports things like this to the fai? it couldnt have been the Ref, linesmen or 4th official coz they would have been in their dressing room by then! is it the ref's assesor? such dry c**ts whoever it was!
    also Kaps has been suspended for 1 game after reaching 4 penalty points....if hes playin next year??
    What was thrown in front of the shed was a smoke bomb, which I don’t think was a problem. But during the game there were a number of fireworks let off, mainly from behind the shed area. But, I would imagine what the club was fined for, was the firework, which some bo**ox ignited ON the pitch during the presentation of the cup. This stupid moron could have injured kids or indeed adults with his “celebration”.
    If I had seen who did this I would have no hesitation of reporting him. If he had to pay the 500 fine it would serve him right.
    As for the “dry c**t” who reported it, it was probably any number of FAI officials who were there as observers on the night. One in particular, kept walking around the ground all night.

I heard Kaps is coming back next season. Some member of his family was seriously ill, that was why he went home.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    what facts and figures have you used to draw this conclusion?

in the weekender today SC said €12000 p/w should be enuff to get us to the level he wants for nest season. considering we will be gettin around 1500 higher attendances than dublin city i think this goal will be attainable. obviously seery will have better friends in high places to help him out but i think with our 400 club, the supporters trust&the backing of the business community in sligo we will find €12000 somewhere
    "Even if the sun ceases to rise, Even if the sea ceases to flow, Even if the wind stops to blow, The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning, glinting star in the sky."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast