Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random breath testing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts

Random breath testing

In the first article, Ahern apparently stated that “26 people had lost their lives in the past two weeks, while an average of over one a day had died this year”. This looks suspiciously like Ahern bumping numbers by suggesting that all of those road deaths were caused by drink driving -- does anyone know the facts here?

I dislike this kind of law intensely, it's USA/PATRIOT-style putting the cart before the horse, hit and miss policing.

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shabby

I dislike this kind of law intensely, it's USA/PATRIOT-style putting the cart before the horse, hit and miss policing.

adam
    hmmm, still something has to be done about deaths on the road, and i know drink driving is still a major problem from what ive seen
    arent we all just magic little monkeys...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    How many years now have FF had to make these road law changes?

I got stopped monday night by checkpoint & they never check tax or insurance which is very unusual. Must have been rare drink driving checkpoint or else looking for gangland hitmen.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads I cant stop laughing I read the topic wrong and thought It was random breast tests..................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccfcgirl
    Lads I cant stop laughing I read the topic wrong and thought It was random breast tests..................
    I'm on my way to Templemore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Much as I dislike the police being able to pester people who haven't done anything wrong, I'd be willing to give up that much to help stop other road users from putting me at risk. I'm open to other workable suggestions though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    In the first article, Ahern apparently stated that “26 people had lost their lives in the past two weeks, while an average of over one a day had died this year”. This looks suspiciously like Ahern bumping numbers by suggesting that all of those road deaths were caused by drink driving -- does anyone know the facts here?
    You're dead right and unfortunately i'm in a very well-informed position to tell you that i know 2 of the 26 cases and drink was not involved.
    I agree with yer opinion on the act.
    As if Garda resources weren't stretched enough without sendind them out to harass the general public (not the bad drivers as such.)

Also i thought these handle changes/mergers were limited to one.
    Someone get Vetinari on the case.

Edit = A face below says my opinion perfectly.
    Education, Education, education.
    Last edited by Risteard; 24/11/2005 at 12:59 AM.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Why cant they just tackle the driving education and test process and be done with the whole problem. People in this country have a very good chance of filtering through the system not knowing how to actually drive safely. It is crazy .... Driving Instructors is a complete mixed bag and it is all over the place. There is nothing stopping you from sitting you test without having had one lesson.

People also never get to learn about other aspects other than driving such as traffic and how it manages itself and how bad driving contributes to it. Also speed and that whole issue, the science behind it and how out of control you can actually be if you need to react. Driving manners and behaviour, road rage and all that stuff. The list goes on .... and if people knew about it, it would probably resolve an awful lot.
    Can blame people for driving poorly if they have never been thought, or if they have never had to think about it barr the driving test, which actually isn't a proper test at all.
    Their answer is to bring out this radical measure to bring us closer to being a police state yet again. ffs
    Last edited by A face; 24/11/2005 at 12:57 AM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Random breath testing

It is being proposed that random breath test be introduced as a measure to help the problem of drink driving.

At the moment it is illegal for Gardaí to stop motorists at random and breath test them, they can only ask them to take a breath test if the form the opinion that they may be under the influence.
    The Oireachtas Enterprise & Small Business Committee have asked for a referendum on it to let the people decide!

I think it should be allowed and think it would have a major impact on the number drink drivers on our roads!

I would have no problem in providing a breath sample if stopped but many people are saying its unconstitutional and shouldn't be!! I would presume most people are all for random breath testing! But I could be wrong what do you think??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm all in favour. 399 deaths on the road last year is way to high. I know a lot of peole, especially the older generation, that continue to drink and drive. I spent a good bit of time on the roads over Xmas/New Year and didn't see a single check-point.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If you have nothing to hide it's not a hassle to get checked.Anyone that drinks and drives are nothing but mugs imo.I'd be for it.
    MOT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    It's a good idea.

I'm fairly sure they can do random testing in England. I got stopped late one night before Christmas for driving a few yards with no lights on (newish car - I forgot ). The guy asked had I had a drink, and I told him that being honest I'd had one. Because I said that, he said he had to breathalyse me, but I'm sure he could've anyway.

Though this was the annoying bit - because of a lack of funds, each Police car apparently doesn't carry its own dedicated breath-test kit. So I had to stand at the side of the road in freezing cold fog at 1:30am at night for 25mins -with a friend waiting in the car having no idea what was going on - whilst they radioed and waited for another car that had one to come and meet us!

So if the Gardai do introduce this positive meaaure, I hope for the sake of Irish motorists they've got the funding in-place to equip all vehciles accordingly ! Otheriwse - make sure you've got a nice warm jacket in your car (I didn't !)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think this is a disgracefull attempt to sell more mints.
    Last edited by pete; 12/03/2007 at 9:25 AM.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wasnt there some figure realsed that drink is a major factor in 30% of road deaths? Anseo

I think fair enough, the whole idea of Government is that you ceade some of your liberity for security. Im more than happy to be stopped every now and again and give a random test if it increases the chances of me not coming up against a drunk driver
    Last edited by SÓC; 11/01/2006 at 5:52 PM.
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

adam
    I agree with you Ken in that I also dislike this type of law but I dislike even more people being killed so overall I'm in favour.

I also agree with the point A-Face made earlier about driver education but I think that that's not the only problem. Obviously noone turns up drunk for their test or speeds during it. There's no education issue here simply poor behaviour. The solution to people not knowing how to handle their car is education. The solution to people knowingly handling their car badly is enforcement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I would imagine face meant education when it comes to alcohol, not drunk driving. Irish people are atrociously badly educated when it comes to drink. Hopefully this is being addressed at primary/secondary level now, but this won't tackle the adult population, and I have major doubts that the shock'n'awe ads do either. I have no time for those ads at all, and I doubt any of the organisations involved have a shred of serious, proven evidence to back up their claimed effectiveness.

Same goes for this, for speed cameras, for CCTV, for nearly every new iniative modern policing organisations come up with. Like I said, hit and miss policing. Governments should be investing in police, not "initiatives" and marketing.

adam
    Last edited by dahamsta; 11/01/2006 at 8:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    OK, so if they get the new police, what do they do then? Its obviously not an ideal situation but surely these "small" efforts add up to the " every little helps" I'm usually not one for hyperbole and clichès but surely if it saves even one life, no one can be that put off having to blow into a tube?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I would imagine face meant education when it comes to alcohol, not drunk driving. Irish people are atrociously badly educated when it comes to drink. Hopefully this is being addressed at primary/secondary level now, but this won't tackle the adult population, and I have major doubts that the shock'n'awe ads do either. I have no time for those ads at all, and I doubt any of the organisations involved have a shred of serious, proven evidence to back up their claimed effectiveness.

Same goes for this, for speed cameras, for CCTV, for nearly every new iniative modern policing organisations come up with. Like I said, hit and miss policing. Governments should be investing in police, not "initiatives" and marketing.

adam
    People who commit crime of ANY sort are only incentivised to stop doing so when the chances of being caught are high - and particularly when it outweighs the reward gained form committing that crime.

If people believe there's a genuine risk they'll get caught drink-driving, then a lot will stop doing it. There is a small hardcore of repetitive drink-drivers who will frankly be stopped by nothing short of injury or prison. The vast majority of the remainder are ordinary people like you and me who on-occassion have had a few too many, are stuck with their car etc etc, and think to themselves - 'ahh, I'll never be able to find a taxi/it'll be too expensive, so I'll just drive nice and steady home. It's not far, no big deal and I won't get caught'. The reward from that criminal act - getting the car and yourself home quickly and easily, without the hassle and expense of getting a taxi and returning the next day for the car - outwighs the perceived risk of getting caught. Random breath-testing will both increase the deterrent factor for those people, and also act as a final solution for the small hardcore who will drink-drive regardless.

The opposite of random breath-testing is only doing it when you have a clear suspicion that someone may be over the limit. That places drivers in the position where as long as THEY believe they can successfully exhibit driving nornally (we all over-estimate our abilities after a few jars) they perceive they're highly unlikely to get caught. Which makes them willing to committ the crime.

Random breath-testing introduces the risk that they could get stopped for no apparent reason - increasing the risk of being caught, reducing the likely net-reward from the criminal act and, if it's well advertised and seen to be happening, thereby impactiing their willingness to do it.

I therefore can't see how stopping cars and breathalysing people only when you have clear suspicion will be as effective in stopping drink-driving as doing it randomly.

If you're saying that random breath-testing etc are just gimics, and that the real solution is more police on the beat the question then becomes - 'Will that be more effective as a deterrent for drink-driving and other crimes than random breath-testing, CCTV etc et?' ? Unless you have police saturation, they will not be an effective deterrent for most types of crime. And again, if you only breath-test on suspicion, then they won't alter the risk-reward balance for the majority of drink-drivers - no matter how many police you throw on the streets.
    Last edited by dcfcsteve; 11/01/2006 at 11:14 PM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I thought speed was the main factor (on motorways as that's the only place they have camera's)

Don't see the need for this law at all. They can already do random breath checks via the tax and insurance checkpoints. If they smell drink then that's enough to justify breathalysing you.

Are there actual figure's for the numbers caused by speed, drink etc and at what time? If they do crack down on drink driving (which I think they should, just not through random testing), will they set up checkpoints at the right time on the right roads? Or will it be like the farcical situation with speed checks on good roads during daylight only?

btw I wouldn't trust any organisation that launches a campaign about people having one drink and being below the limit in the run up to Christmas when the majority of drink drivers caught are multiples of the current limit. Christ, concentrate on the law abiding motorists rather than the one's driving around locked
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    They can already do random breath checks via the tax and insurance checkpoints. If they smell drink then that's enough to justify breathalysing you.
    Thats not random though Macy - they have to smell the alcohol or see you driving erratically to breathalise you. If this law is brought in they can set up check-points just to perform breath tests.

I think it would deter people way more from drink driving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast