Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liam Miller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts

Liam Miller

From today's independent:

LEEDS UNITED believe that Liam Miller is already making his mark at Elland Road after just two games.

The 24-year-old scored his first goal for the club on Saturday when he grabbed the winner in a dramatic comeback against Southampton.

Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell, who snapped up Miller on loan from Manchester United, believes there is more to come from the Irish international midfielder.

"Liam has got a point to prove at Old Trafford, and I said to him come here and prove it and we will get the benefit of it," said Blackwell.

"We are asking him now to be a lot more forward thinking and get in the box. His finish was of some quality and we can see signs that there's more to come. It's all about confidence with Liam, he was out of the pecking order at Old Trafford and there's nothing like playing games to give players confidence.

"He's come in and needs to get used to pace of the Championship, you will get closed down quicker and not have as much time on the ball like the Premiership, it's also much more physical, so once he does that he will be okay," said Blackwell.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As a huge Leeds fan and a Manc hater I can not tell you how happy I am that Liam is doing the business with Leeds, I just hope he can keep it up. Hopefully it will be too late before Manc PLC realise they have made a huge mistake by letting him go and Leeds can sign him permanently. It wont be long now before we are back playing with the big boys where we belong.

We are Leeds, we are Leeds, we are Leeds! We are Leeds, we are Leeds, we are Leeds!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover 2 U
    Manc PLC
    i might be wide of the mark here but are leeds not a PLC too ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We are Leeds, we are Leeds, we are Leeds! We are Leeds, we are Leeds, we are Leeds!
    • I thought you were Irish?
    • Leeds weren't born in Ireland
    • What's your story
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint
    • I thought you were Irish?
    • Leeds weren't born in Ireland
    • What's your story
    Oh I'm sorry, my mistake, I didn't realise Leeds United were an international team

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    In today's Guardian, describing Leeds' win over Burneley:

Alongside [Derry] Liam Miller, on loan from Manchester United, contributed some nice touches but you could see why Roy Keane was underwhelmed.

Not quite as optimistic, but first team football is a must for Miller & he seems to be doing OK so far. Hopefully he'll stamp his mark on things at Leeds.

I think Leeds are the only team to have had 4 full Irish internationals in the team for a long time: Miller, Kelly, Douglas & Butler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    butler har har
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Oh I'm sorry, my mistake, I didn't realise Leeds United were an international team
    I don't think a smiley will get you off that easy

why do you hate Manchester? Because people from Leeds do ? So why are you taking on a local english rivalry when you are from Ireland?

Of course people can support whoever they want and whatever league they want .. put for someone with a signature like yourself to be chanting "we are leeds we are leeds", you are setting yourself up to be shot down.

In any case, wasn't it the English who invented all this nationality madness .. divide and conquer and all that. If you happen to be born in England with irish parents, that still makes you part of the irish tribe .. extended family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Manc PLC
    Man United aren't a PLC any more, they've been taken off the stock exchange since the Glazers took over.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    I think Leeds are the only team to have had 4 full Irish internationals in the team for a long time: Miller, Kelly, Douglas & Butler.
    I think Blackburn had Alan Kelly, Jason McAteer, Damien Duff and Jeff Kenna at the same time, but I'm not sure if they all ever played in the same side. Kenna might have left for Birmingham by then.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't get you? I am Irish and proclaim my Irishness and that prevents me from looking outside of this county for everything? Sure I watch British TV, my monitor here was made in China, I work for an American multi-national! I do not agree with people from one country representing different countries on the international playing field but that does not stop me from supporting the team of my childhood or from listening to Coldplay or from fancying Keira Knightly! By the way, I love Rovers first and foremost, U2 are my top band and I think Andrea Corr is a fine thing, but Fair City does not come anywhere near to Corporation Street! Does any of that weaken my stance on wanting Irish people and only Irish people representing Ireland? I don't think so.

Oh and my hatred towards Manc PLC has nothing to do with local English rivalry or anything of the kind, that was born and nurtured right here on the streets of Dublin!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    7.5 for effort there
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Oh and my hatred towards Manc PLC has nothing to do with local English rivalry or anything of the kind, that was born and nurtured right here on the streets of Dublin!
    This is certainly a primary reason why many of my friends dislike Utd in Ireland. During the mid nineties a arrogance developed on the streets of dublin which has never disapperared and spawned a hatred of all things Man Utd which didn't always exist before that time. the sudden need for a Man Utd shop being a particular pet hate for many!

(although I was more disgusted by the Celtic shop actually selling Utd shirts at one stage......long story, but a sale guy tried to convince me that the money from the sale of the utd shirts went to celtic!!! muppet! Needless to say I've never purchased anything in the celtic shop in Ireland )
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't get you? I am Irish and proclaim my Irishness and that prevents me from looking outside of this county for everything? Sure I watch British TV, my monitor here was made in China, I work for an American multi-national! I do not agree with people from one country representing different countries on the international playing field but that does not stop me from supporting the team of my childhood or from listening to Coldplay or from fancying Keira Knightly! By the way, I love Rovers first and foremost, U2 are my top band and I think Andrea Corr is a fine thing, but Fair City does not come anywhere near to Corporation Street! Does any of that weaken my stance on wanting Irish people and only Irish people representing Ireland? I don't think so.

As I said, I have no problem with people supporting English teams in the globalised society of today. And the fact that you apparently support Rovers by going to games etc. also shows that you are supporting the local soccer scene.

That said there is not much difference between you and someone born in Leeds - you fancy the same tv/film stars, watch the same soap operas, have opinions about big brother etc etc, eat in Burger King and hate Mc Donalds, prefer PES to Fifa etc etc. Except of course, that you were born and reared in Ireland and this is what makes you vastly different culturally to someone born in Yorkshire .. like Mick Mc Carthy for example.

So your basic argument is that only Irish born and reared people should represent Ireland. Well, I don't think Ireland should ignore the generations of sons and daughters that have left/were forced to leave the country. If your parents are Irish, and you are not born in Ireland, you should have the choice. Our constituion recognises this point too.

My son was not born in Ireland ... but I have given him an Irish name (because its a nice name and maybe he too can assume, like you, to be different from all the other people around him) and he will spend summers in Ireland and meet my family and friends, and if by chance he's ever a decent footballer, he will have a choice of whether playing for Ireland or the land of his birth. Simple as that. He's got Irish blood and is part of the irish tribe and has the right to play for two countries.

I have to admit that I am wondering myself if I am not being a hypocrite on one hand saying that people should not get hung up on nationality and reacting to a post/signature like yours. But, I just think that being proud to have been born in one district of the globalised society is not a particularly interesting story. I think perhaps your story would be more interesting, if you decided e.g. that you wanted to rebel against global culture like throwing out your tv, not eating food with preservatives, not buying electronic junk etc and lining the pockets of the multicorporations, reading Brave New World instead of the Da Vinci code, listening to music of your ancestors, even speaking a cupla focail and so on and so fort, while having respect for people who don't share the same opinions and lifestyles as yourself. Then that would be an interesting story. Born and reared in Dublin and consuming globalised culture with a bit of oul oirish thrown, "because the difference is we're irish", well its not that interesting of a story, is it?

sorry .. wasn't this all about Liam Miller's goal against Southampton?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macdermesser
    sorry .. wasn't this all about Liam Miller's goal against Southampton?
    Was just about to say the same thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Was just about to say the same thing.

I think we'll need to introduce a ban on certain words....namely - Keane, Utd, Celtic, REAL supporters, etc etc......the list is endless!!!

Nearly every thread takes a u-turn these days!!
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Whats funny is that leeds are a Plc and Man Utd are not.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Red face

As a huge Leeds fan and a Manc hater I can not tell you how happy I am that Liam is doing the business with Leeds, I just hope he can keep it up. Hopefully it will be too late before Manc PLC realise they have made a huge mistake by letting him go and Leeds can sign him permanently. It wont be long now before we are back playing with the big boys where we belong.

How ridculous is this for f's sake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    "It's all about confidence with Liam"

Thats the main point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    "It's all about confidence with Liam"

Thats the main point.
    yes that is the main point .. but you can't let a guy who has a signature "born in ireland, reared in Ireland etc etc" get away with making a remark "we are leeds, we are Leeds".

Sorry, but that was my main point. And his counter point was, yes he can. So what if these topics go way off the point .. we're not robots here.
    Last edited by macdermesser; 23/11/2005 at 7:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macdermesser
    yes that is the main point .. but you can't let a guy who has a signature "born in ireland, reared in Ireland etc etc" get away with making a remark "we are leeds, we are Leeds".

Sorry, but that was my main point. And his counter point was, yes he can. So what if these topics go way off the point .. we're not robots here.
    I couldn't care whether it goes off topic, I was pointing out the main point in the article. Probably a bit silly to post on-topic after all those posts though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast