Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Claudio Ranieri

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Claudio Ranieri

Latest manager for us to slag off as potential Ireland manager.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    He was mentioned a vfew weeks ago but soccercentral.ie has just run a piece saying FAI are to meet him on Thursday in England.

I always liked Ranieri. Pleasant, honest character who played good football and who got a lot out of Duff and other young players. Inconsisent in the league, largely because he felt compelled to chop & change his side from week to week to keep a large squad happy. Built a good Valencia side but was spectacularly unsuccessful when he took over again.

Tendency to make unusual tactical changes, so well suited as Irish manager!

He was on Sky Sports' Sunday am show with Chris Kamara & Rob McCaffrey recently. One of the things he said was why is not deemed suitable in Britain to make atactical change within a game, even if it's only for 10 minutes, to try & get an edge on the opposition? Sadly, the answer is probably beacuse many British based players aren't tactically intelligent enough to understand him. He's right in principle but some of his chnages in the CL semi-final 2 years ago cost Chelsea the game (well, as well as Desailly).

On balance I think he'd be good for us though. A lot better than the names being discussed here recently (Venables, Stan, Keane), with the exception of O'Neill & Hiddink in my opinion. He's a lot more experienced in senior football than Kerr was.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    He was mentioned a vfew weeks ago but soccercentral.ie has just run a piece saying FAI are to meet him on Thursday in England.

I always liked Ranieri. Pleasant, honest character who played good football and who got a lot out of Duff and other young players. Inconsisent in the league, largely because he felt compelled to chop & change his side from week to week to keep a large squad happy. Built a good Valencia side but was spectacularly unsuccessful when he took over again.

Tendency to make unusual tactical changes, so well suited as Irish manager!

He was on Sky Sports' Sunday am show with Chris Kamara & Rob McCaffrey recently. One of the things he said was why is not deemed suitable in Britain to make atactical change within a game, even if it's only for 10 minutes, to try & get an edge on the opposition? Sadly, the answer is probably beacuse many British based players aren't tactically intelligent enough to understand him. He's right in principle but some of his chnages in the CL semi-final 2 years ago cost Chelsea the game (well, as well as Desailly).

On balance I think he'd be good for us though. A lot better than the names being discussed here recently (Venables, Stan, Keane), with the exception of O'Neill & Hiddink in my opinion. He's a lot more experienced in senior football than Kerr was.
    yes yes but can he sing, stuttgart, can the man sing or not? what kind of a fist would he make of amhrain na bhfian, i wonder?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    i always liked him when he was at chelsea, had some crackin press conferences as well. was always a good laugh and is very tactically astute. the way he was treated by chelsea was deemed very harsh at the time and everyone felt sorry for him, hes a good manager and i think that hes probably got a better record than most other applicants, not to say he is an applicant though! he has a good record with the big name players as well, the likes of john terry spoke highly of him when he departed.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I appreciated his honesty after the CL s/f loss to Monaco "F*** Claudio, bad, bad Claudio"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudio_Ranieri
    Gives a good account of his record and is up to date on his return visit to Valencia.
    Apparantly he went to be interviewed for the then vacant Heart's job.
    Very interesting man.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think I might have been the first here to mention Ranieri for the job:
    http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=368239#post368239

His CV is pretty impressive:
    http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=378156#post378156

MO'N aside, I think he's the least worst of all the candidates mentioned so far.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    I appreciated his honesty after the CL s/f loss to Monaco "F*** Claudio, bad, bad Claudio"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudio_Ranieri
    Gives a good account of his record and is up to date on his return visit to Valencia.
    Apparantly he went to be interviewed for the then vacant Heart's job.
    Very interesting man.
    The press reported that he turned down Hearts because they didn't offer him enough money. I think we should be very worried if the FAI feel they're in a position to pay more money than a Russian billionaire is willing to!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint
    The press reported that he turned down Hearts because they didn't offer him enough money. I think we should be very worried if the FAI feel they're in a position to pay more money than a Russian billionaire is willing to!
    I think you're getting mixed up between Abramovich (Russian billionaire) and Romanov (Lithuanian millionaire). If we can afford MO'N or one of the has-been muppets that the bookies have been promoting then was can afford the likes of Ranieri.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    I think I might have been the first here to mention Ranieri for the job:
    theres nothing like blowing your own trumpet

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in