Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questions and Answers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea
    well snoop drog, i havent been able to find it on the internet but growing up i was always led to beleive by my parents/neighbours/auld ones in general that tinkers, were those displaced from the famine, they would come to town do odd jobs/makes buckets and sell them on, and if they ever called to the door they would be fed and watered etc, where as gypsies were those that came from around the 15/16th century and were generally more frowned upon, beleived to be displaced during cromwellian times. However i havent been able to back this up on the internet/though anyone who led me to beleive this doenst know how to use the internet!!! and at the end of the day the internet is a knowledge base created by man!
    That makes sense in a way though p_o's so you could be right. That hasn't been my experience but what you say does make some sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    What I understand by someone using the phrase "lowest members of society" is that the person is using this to describe a group that they look down on (patronisingly in your case as you tell stories about how your family has looked after the poor traveller for generations) and that they don't consider that group at 'their own level' within the society the're discussing.

You're giving out sh!t to people on here for their opinions, callign them racist ffs, then you go and call travellers the "lowest members of society".

Your quote was, "heard once that you should judge a society on how they treat the lowest memers of that society". The way we treat travellers reflects poorlly on the Land of a Thousand Welcomes

Whatever you claim you meant, If you're going to chastise people for a phrase or opinion, at least don't be so hypocritical as to share it with them while you reply.

tiktok, I have thought about this and I reckon what I said first time was right. "the lowest members of our society"- Lowest paid, lowest life expectancy, highest infant mortality (hey- something that's high!), looked "down" on by the rest of society in general.

But I suspect you know what I meant all along and you are just a cnut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Drog
    .....you are just a cnut.
    Charming
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Snoop Drog, from all the chatboards I know tiktok on he is far from being close to a cnut. He is also one of the fairest posters around. Your insulting the wrong lad. Even Shels Supporters like him and he's a Corkie
    For all your League of Ireland news - www.extratime.ie

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    tiktok, i think he means you are BEING a cnut. not necessarily one! if ye get me
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This country has gotten to be a joke.If you make any comment about a minority your a bloody bigot and racist.The fact of the matter is that a high percentage of travellers are involved in some form of crime.Some of them are decent people but there is an element of them who will blame everyone and everything for their actions instead of looking within their own community and the example they set to others.
    Most travellers are not allowed in to most pubs in this country because some of the times they get drunk,fight and wreck the place.When fueds break out among the travelling community they use weapons of all kinds and they are hell bent on killing one another.Most of the travelling community nowadays have little or no links to their past and have no respect for their traditions hence the dislike that is growing everyday against them.Most places that they go they leave a bad impression and they only have themselves to blame.
    "At the age of twelve, my ambition was to become a gangster. To be a wiseguy was better than being President of the United States. To be a wiseguy was to own the world." - Henry Hill

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    but what can the good traveller do about the bad one 's ? they are probibly just as scared to tackle them as any of us are .

its not as simple as its there own fault there is gang land shootings in the settled community at the moment is that the settled communities fault ?

the simple fact is there are a lot of travellers that are bad but ive never once seen a story about a traveller that kept his site clean , why because its not big news there is a site near me and it is spotless but take a trip around any of the settled area's during the wheely bin dispute and there was rubbish all over the place .

if every one and the press only tell the bad stories then it builds up a level of fear ,and an impression amounst the travelling community that they are allways being put down .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Interview with Ward back in Feb 2001:

As controversy continues over the sentencing of Mayo farmer, Padraig Nally for the manslaughter of John 'Frog' Ward, The Sligo Champion re-prints an interview which the deceased gave to Paul Deering in February 2001, some four years before his death. Mr. Ward, who lived for over a year in Sligo, spoke about the difficulties he was facing trying to rear his family at the side of the road.

The father of a Travelling family whose sons have to sleep in the back of a Hiace van in a car park has appealed for assistance in finding suitable accommodation.

John Ward, who has been residing with his family at the car park in Connaughton Road since before Christmas, told The Sligo Champion that he had no option but to use the van despite his fears for his children's health.

"I have ten children but I have only one caravan and it is not big enough so my six boys have to sleep in the back of the van," said Mr. Ward, whose children range in ages from three to eighteen.

Originally from Ballyshannon, Mr. Ward said his intention was to stay in Sligo and he made an appeal for assistance so that he can purchase another caravan.

"My sons are freezing at night in the van. They cannot get a good night's sleep because of the cold but there's nothing I can do about it. I cannot turn the engine on because of the fumes. They're going to bed in the back of a cold damp van and they are awake at five in the morning unable to go back asleep.

"I end up lighting a fire nearby in the mornings to get them warm before they go to school. They constantly have colds and chest infections and I am up and down to the doctor all the time with them.

"I desperately need another caravan. It's an emergency situation. I'm willing to help towards the cost of one but I need some financial assistance," said Mr. Ward, whose wife, Marie, is expecting their eleventh child.

"What I find hard to understand is the fact that so many other homeless people can get help straight away. I have nothing against refugees and asylum seekers but as soon as one of them sets foot in this country they get put up in hostels and bed and breakfasts for free.

Fair play

"They get all the food they want and all their needs are looked after. None of them are asked to sleep in the back of a van. If they were there would be uproar. All I want is fair play and I feel Irish people should be looked after first. I don't know what the problem is with helping the Travelling community," said Mr. Ward.

Though illegally parked at the car park, Mr. Ward said he had nowhere else to go and was hopeful he would not be asked to leave.

"If I'm moved on I'll have no choice but to go back on the side of the road or squat some place. I want to be able to settle my family in one place and all I am asking is for some help in buying a caravan," he said.

His existing caravan is twenty years old and is in bad repair.

"It's far too small now for our needs. I'm in a desperate situation. I'm told I am on a housing list but I haven't been offered anything. I need accommodation and very soon. No one, especially young children, should be forced to sleep in a van in this day and age," said Mr. Ward.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    was that re-written or did he speak exactly like that. not being funny, but you never see many people use the if and were in the same sentence when speaking, which is grammatically correct. In general that is well constructed.

so did he actually write it or speak it, or was it re-written or whatever the word is?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    was that re-written or did he speak exactly like that. not being funny, but you never see many people use the if and were in the same sentence when speaking, which is grammatically correct. In general that is well constructed.

so did he actually write it or speak it, or was it re-written or whatever the word is?
    No idea to be honest. I just copy and pasted it.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    tiktok, i think he means you are BEING a cnut. not necessarily one! if ye get me
    yes, that. Or sh1tstirrer...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123