Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Draw - Discussion only

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    France and Switzerland in the same group after being in the same qualifying group????

I thought this wasn't allowed to happen???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo
    whats wrong with that ?
    it pretty much is
    Not in the slightest. Are Sweden an easy team? Are Paraguay? No. The only easy team in that group is T&T.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillo
    Even though it has been suggested that there won't be a 'group of death' in next year's World Cup due to the qualification failure of the top three African nations, I believe the group consisting of Argentina, Holland, Ivory Coast and Serbia/Montenegro surely represents the nearest thing to such a group.

Thats a tricky one alright, but Brazil, Croatia, Australia & Japan is also a tricky one. I've a feeling there could be a shock in that one and can see the other three pushing Brazil all the way and wouldnt be that suprised (or dissapointed) if they didnt make it through the group stages, bit like France in 2002 after winning it in 1998.

Easiest group is probably the Spanish one, Saudis are pathetic, Tunisia arent much kop either and that leaves them and the Ukraine.

My group predicitions

Winners
    -------
    Mexico
    Germany
    Holland
    Italy
    Japan
    France
    Spain
    Sweden

Runners Up
    ----------
    Portugal
    Poland
    Serbia
    Czechs
    Auzzie, Auzzie Auzzies
    Korea
    Ukraine
    England

Think Mexico are a class act, and they and the Portuguese will be too strong for the inexperienced Angolans and the Iranians (who only seem to cut the Mustard at home).

Hard to look beyond Germany (home teams always do well) and Poland in the group, think Costa Rica are lacking in quality and Ecuador will struggle without the talismanic Alexi Aguinagua, and Kaviedes has been in poor form over recent years.

The next group Ivory Coast, Argentina, Dutch and Serbia is a real cracker. All those teams play great football and I expect great matches from that group. Its a tough one to call but the Dutch have grown in strenght over the last 18 months and have some great young players coming thru (like the lad at Hamburg, Bulharoius). The Ivorians are good, imo the best African team in the cup, but fate has dealt them a cruel blow here and in any other group I'd fancy them, but I fear a lack of experience will cost them. So the last match will see a head to head Serbia v Argentina, this will be a cracker make no mistake - I just fancy the Serbs to eek through like the Swedes did in Japan against Argentina.

The next group will probably be simple enough for the Italians, leaving Ghana, the Czechs and USA going for the last place. I think the Ghanians will struggle, and again it will be a last match decider between the Czechs and the USA, think the Czechs will just scrape it.

The next group will be the suprise imo. I think Auzzies will cause lots of problems as theyre well organised and have a big man upfront (Viduka) which can cause teams problems. Think the Japanese have a good set of technical players (Kodji Nakata, Ono, Takahara, Nakamura, Hide Nakata) and will be very quick on the ground and have the stamina to last through the full 90 and beyond.

Think the French and Korea will get thru the next group. Could have been us and I'd have fancied us to get far

Spain and Ukraine should walk the next group.

England, Sweden, Paraguay and T&T. I can see the Swedes winning this, think the Paraguayans have a chance (England usually play badly in their opening matches in cups), but i would be suprised if the English didnt make it.
    Last edited by Closed Account 2; 09/12/2005 at 9:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    Not in the slightest. Are Sweden an easy team? Are Paraguay? No. The only easy team in that group is T&T.
    Who said anything about easy ?
    you in your original post said they said it was "the best they could have got"
    big difference between that and easy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo
    Who said anything about easy ?
    you in your original post said they said it was "the best they could have got"
    big difference between that and easy
    Yeah but what do you think he meant by that? He wasn't meaning it's a great group cos of the great meetings or whatever
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Go to this page and click on the link for the score predictor:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...06/default.stm

I gave it a lash and came up with the following 1/4 final pairings:

Germany v Holland
    England v Argentina
    Italy v France
    Brazil v Spain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    i got
    GermanyvHolland
    EnglandvArgentina
    Czech RepvFrance
    BrazilvUkraine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo
    ......England, Sweden, Paraguay and T&T. I can see the Swedes winning this, think the Paraguayans have a chance (England usually play badly in their opening matches in cups), but i would be suprised if the English didnt make it.
    The winners from Group A (likely to be Germany or Poland) play the runners-up from Group B (likely to be England or Sweden).

Group A will be completed before the final games in Group B (England v Sweden and Paraguay v Trin/Tobago). I suspect England would prefer to play Poland and if by any chance Poland top Group A, it would not be any surprise to see an England v Sweden result which would see England second in the group. However, if England did top their group and avoided the Germans in the second round they are still likely to be facing Holland, Portugal or Argentina in the quarters.

If by some chance. England make it to the semi-final, I think they will win it.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    I got...
    England-Portugal
    Sweden-Holland
    United States-Ukraine
    Brazil-France
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I got

QF1
    GermanyvPortugal

QF2
    SwedenvHolland

QF3
    JapanvSouth Korea

QF4
    AustraliavFrance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Q/F:
    Germany - Holland
    England - Serbia
    Italy - Spain
    Brazil -Ukraine

Ps, who honestly thinks Brazil won't come out of their group. I can apprecaite that upsets sometimes do happen, but there will never be disharmony in the Brazil camp a la France 02. Whenever (during the group stages) you think, "thats grand little Japan have Zico managing them he'll want to put one over the motherland, thats worth tenner" - stop - look at yer bank balance, close yer eyes and think " Kaka`, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo, Julio Baptista, there's one other fella...oh yeah Ronaldinho". Arguement. End of.

On a side note. England have a fcuking great chance. The only reason that bothers me is that we'll never hear the bleedin end of it.
    I personally don't see too many upsets this time round. In fact, in keeping with the theme of utter German efficiency, I see the big guns in the clearer groups being devastatingly clinical.
    In terms of the quarter finals there really could be some good games, and even though it may seem obvious, the knockout stages will be good. I think the groups (with the exception of 2/3) will be boring and straightforward.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom
    Ps, who honestly thinks Brazil won't come out of their group. I can apprecaite that upsets sometimes do happen, but there will never be disharmony in the Brazil camp a la France 02. Whenever (during the group stages) you think, "thats grand little Japan have Zico managing them he'll want to put one over the motherland, thats worth tenner" - stop - look at yer bank balance, close yer eyes and think " Kaka`, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo, Julio Baptista, there's one other fella...oh yeah Ronaldinho". Arguement. End of.
    No it ain't. Brazil will emerge from the group and probably win the tournament due to the current poverty of international football, but to suggest that the players cited above are invincible or pantheon material is ludicrous. Kaka and Ronaldinho are the two most effective attacking players in world football at the moment, but in an era when a player's career peak lasts 6-18 months they may well be burned out by June.

As for the others...Adriano is lazy and overrated, Robinho has been exposed for the skinny little runt he always was, Ronaldo is an overweight has-been and Julio Baptista probably won't get a game.
    On a side note. England have a fcuking great chance. The only reason that bothers me is that we'll never hear the bleedin end of it.
    I'm always amused when people make this assertion. You're not obliged to listen to the British media, y'know...
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    just watching the draw and the build up, some highlights on tv, is making me sad again, we are not there! Could you imagine us being in France's group again instead of the Swiss??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

I got:

Second Round:

Germany vs. Paraguay
    Sweden vs. Poland
    Holland vs. Mexico
    Portugal vs. Argentina
    Italy vs. Japan
    Brazil vs. Czech Rep
    France vs. Ukraine
    Spain vs. South Korea

Quarter Finals:

Germany vs. Holland
    Sweden vs. Argentina
    Italy vs. France
    Brazil vs. Spain

Semi-Finals:

Germany vs. Italy
    Argentina vs. Brazil

3rd/4th Play-off:

Italy Vs. Argentina

Final:

Germany Vs. Brazil

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    tbh lads im not overally sad that we missed out.. its not like the late 80s when we had a really good team. the team we have at the moment is old and poor with no real class about it. It could well be another WC1994. Ill watch the futty without to many hangups (even if england get to the final)
    Unbelievable. I couldn't care less if we had been going with a team of 11 one legged players so long as we were there. Empty empty feeling watching the draw and one of huge envy for all the teams there.

As for it being fixed, stuff and nonsense. Conspiracy with hundreds of people required to be in on it. Sigh - some people are always seeing shadows where there are none.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    As for it being fixed, stuff and nonsense. Conspiracy with hundreds of people required to be in on it. Sigh - some people are always seeing shadows where there are none.
    Agreed, it's utterly impossible to "fix" a game. Play football and you'll understand.

One thing I always look for is colony v. colonist battles like Senegal France in Japan.

This time there's Togo France and Angola Portugal. Should be good.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank
    Agreed, it's utterly impossible to "fix" a game. Play football and you'll understand.One thing I always look for is colony v. colonist battles like Senegal France in Japan.This time there's Togo France and Angola Portugal. Should be good.
    You can fix a game ok - it was fixing the draw we were talking about.

Yes, colony vs colonist are good ones (Ireland vs England Italia 90 ).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan

As for the others...Adriano is lazy and overrated

Watched him last night in the Milan derby,scored 2,one the winner and mArtins goal was a result of his free kick.He's strong,skillful and works his nuts off and will score plenty of goals.Your assessment is way off the mark.

I'm always amused when people make this assertion. You're not obliged to listen to the British media, y'know...
    Over here in Ireland there's no escape you know,you can't just switch off,and by the sounds of Garth Crooks,Motson and Lineker they almost have the thing won already
    MOT

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    And the middle paragraph in your qoute above is what I was trying to say aswell.
    MOT

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom
    All attacking players. Brazil have dodgy/average keepers. Dida is good at saving penalties but is error prone especially at long range shots when his positioning can go horribly wrong (eg Champions League final, Smicer's goal or Milan's away match at Shalke this season). There other keeper Julio Ceasar isnt exactly setting the world alight at Inter, and both these keepers have much better defenders in front of them for club matches than they will at the world cup.

Moving on to Brazil's defence, its great going forward especially the full backs, but they only have one quality defender (Cris at Lyon) and even then they pick Lucio and Juan ahead of him. They probably have the worst defence of all the top seeded teams, and - despite all the attacking skills they might have - that will tell.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast