Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dying Goldfish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

My Dying Goldfish

Not kidding folks!!!!

When I checked the tank this morning Olaf The Cruel was lying on the bottom of the tank. He's still breathing but is visibly poorly and bloated. Olaf is six years old and has never had any health problems. He's about 5 inches long and is a great pet.

I cleaned the tank at the weekend. I NEVER use detergents when cleaning. I just wipe down the sides with the gauze/sponge out of the filter. I NEVER change the water -which is crystal clear, I simply add to it. So it's not toxic shock or at least shouldn't be.

Olafs buddy Gaylord The Evil is the same age, same size and is quite chipper but neither of them took food this morning so I'm worried he might be coming down with something too.

Ideas?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    Ideas?
    Fish and chips for dinner??

Only joking, sorry for being so insensitive. The life expectancy for a goldfish is only around 5 years as far as I know, anything after is a bonus. Maybe time is up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Might find your answers here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    Fish and chips for dinner??

Only joking, sorry for being so insensitive. The life expectancy for a goldfish is only around 5 years as far as I know, anything after is a bonus. Maybe time is up.
    that's been said to me a few times this morning about his age - actually so has the fish'n'chips thing.

Goldfish have been known to live into their 30's. rare enough due to the conditions they're kept in but it happens.

I used feed them every day but found they sat around on their arse all the time. Then I stopped and I'd just feed 'em every now and again when i'd think of it and they were far healthier for it. It's true what they say 'Hungry fish are healthy fish'.

Like I said I don't change the water -we actually brought the tanks water with us when we moved house as we knew there was a difference in water hardness where we were heading.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts

Goldfish have been known to live into their 30's. rare enough due to the conditions they're kept in but it happens.

I used feed them every day but found they sat around on their arse all the time. Then I stopped and I'd just feed 'em every now and again when i'd think of it and they were far healthier for it. It's true what they say 'Hungry fish are healthy fish'.

Like I said I don't change the water -we actually brought the tanks water with us when we moved house as we knew there was a difference in water hardness where we were heading.

Sounds like a bit of a mystery alright........."The Da Vinci Cod"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    Fish and chips for dinner?
    POTM!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well now, my old fish, Goldie, original I know, lived for about 8-9 years, used to feed him (or her???) once a day, and change the water once a week, when changing the water I'd put the plug in the sink, fill it up with the dirty water and throw him in after, then fill up fresh from the tap, he was grand until the tail fell off, forcing us to give him a lethal injection, sad, sad day. He also once jumped into a cup of tea, 3-4 years before his death, so you could try that???

Unfortunatley Rocky and Jaws was a different story altogether, they only lasted about a couple of months, I think room temp has a lot to do with it too. Goldie was kept in the utility room beside the side door in the gaff!!!

Now I can also help with other animals, my dog was 16/ 17 when he died and Phred, (yeah, its Fred with a "Ph" so what???) my cockatial (bird) is roughly 17!!!
    Sitting pretty!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not kidding folks!!!!

When I checked the tank this morning Olaf The Cruel was lying on the bottom of the tank. He's still breathing but is visibly poorly and bloated. Olaf is six years old and has never had any health problems. He's about 5 inches long and is a great pet.

I cleaned the tank at the weekend. I NEVER use detergents when cleaning. I just wipe down the sides with the gauze/sponge out of the filter. I NEVER change the water -which is crystal clear, I simply add to it. So it's not toxic shock or at least shouldn't be.

Olafs buddy Gaylord The Evil is the same age, same size and is quite chipper but neither of them took food this morning so I'm worried he might be coming down with something too.

Ideas?
    have you tried that algae thing for the water ??? I add a couple of drops of it to the tank and mines lived for 61/2 years so far

Could also be a case of the other fish is the dominant one and has tried to kill it - that happened with mine - I had 3 and the one I have now killed the other two
    The lunatic is on the grass
    Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs
    Got to keep the loonies on the path

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I'll be trying some salts for algae later but I don't think there's an algae issue. Water temperature is room temperature (it's a cold tank) so between 18 and 22C.

your fish lived for 61/2 years? that's like thirty years and six months?

I think if Gaylord was trying to kill Olaf he might've made his move a bit earlier in the preceding 6 years.

From what I'm reading elsewhere it looks pretty bad. Apparently this stage that Olaf has reached was most likely preceded by some other eratic behaviour indicator and I just didn't notice. Like I said I only feed them a couple of times a week and haven't changed the water in four years.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'll be trying some salts for algae later but I don't think there's an algae issue. Water temperature is room temperature (it's a cold tank) so between 18 and 22C.

your fish lived for 61/2 years? that's like thirty years and six months?

I think if Gaylord was trying to kill Olaf he might've made his move a bit earlier in the preceding 6 years.

From what I'm reading elsewhere it looks pretty bad. Apparently this stage that Olaf has reached was most likely preceded by some other eratic behaviour indicator and I just didn't notice. Like I said I only feed them a couple of times a week and haven't changed the water in four years.
    this stuff i'm referring to isn't justalgae , its kinda like a liqyuid used for tropical fish tanks and it helps to take away traces of chlorine that attacks the fish as well as algae -swear to god, this stuff is class and mosty petshops sell it

http://www.firsttankguide.net/goldfish.php

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html
    Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs
    Got to keep the loonies on the path

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Hrmmm......

...Sounds a bit fishy if you ask me
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    haven't changed the water in four years.
    A bit cloudy at this stage I'd say

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    I have a few fish too, I've gone through some rough times but thankfully none of them have popped off in about a year. Sorry to break the sad news for ya but there isnt much hope for your Olaf. Once they look droopy and keep hanging down at the bottom of the tank there is no going back. As for the other fella, it still might be a good idea to refresh some of the water, say about a third of the tank. Make sure you put Stress Coat in the new water you put in.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars
    I have a few fish too, I've gone through some rough times but thankfully none of them have popped off in about a year. Sorry to break the sad news for ya but there isnt much hope for your Olaf. Once they look droopy and keep hanging down at the bottom of the tank there is no going back. As for the other fella, it still might be a good idea to refresh some of the water, say about a third of the tank. Make sure you put Stress Coat in the new water you put in.
    We have two for 3 years now. One we found floating at the top after we changed their food. Wife changed the water and went back to the old food and he recovered.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Head downt he petshop and pick up some medicine-they normally say the symptoms on the back of the box so find the one closest and put a bit in......serious most of my pocket moeny from about 10-12 went on fish medicine
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Thanks for all this lads. As pointed out it aint looking good. Phoned home a while ago and herself says he's fairly stuck to the bottom now on his side.

I'll grab some drops for him on the way home. I have stress coat which I use when adding water.

Hopefully if it's the end -then it's just his time -I don' want to kill the other one over-reacting to this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The fish names above are brilliant. Shakedown (godson) and Bubbles(niece) had fish also and they (the fish) went through the same thing as Lionel mentioned. I think it was an age thing too.
    Actually, since this thread is kinda about pets.
    Don't laugh, but this is a serious question.
    I have an eleven year old Jack Russell called Bunty - a bitch. I'm absolutely convinced that Bunty is a canine version of a lesbian. Seriously.
    We had another bitch a few years ago called Pepsi and Bunty was always trying to climb up on her and forever trying to lick her h0le. It got to be very embarrassing when we had visitors so, eventually, we had to keep them in separate parts of the house and Pepsi was obviously straight since she got quite nasty at Bunty's approaches.
    Whenever any local (male) mutt has got into the back yard and tried to mount her she'd get vicious and snarled at that dog. Anytime a bitch comes near the house Bunty gets terribly excited and tries to get out to that dog.
    Like humans, can dogs be gay too???
    I'm dead serious so, please, no taking the p!ss.
    Is there anything I should do.
    BTW Bunty is NOT a male, I checked.
    Sadly, too, Pepsi got out onto the road and was killed so that ended that saga.
    Bubbles also acquired a pussy cat a few months ago and Bunty is always tossing her toys at him to play with.
    I though cats and dogs hated each other.
    Last edited by hamish; 16/11/2005 at 3:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    I have an eleven year old Jack Russell called Bunty - a bitch. I'm absolutely convinced that Bunty is a canine version of a lesbian. Seriously.
    We had another she-dog a few years ago called Pepsi and Bunty was always trying to climb up on her and forever trying to lick her h0le. It got to be very embarrassing when we had visitors so, eventually, we had to keep them in separate parts of the house and Pepsi was obviously straight since she got quite nasty at Bunty's approaches.
    Whenever any local mutt has got (male) into the back yard and tried to mount her she got vicious and snarled at him. Anytime a bitch comes near the house Bunty gets terribly excited and tries to get out to that dog.
    I'm dead serious so, please, no taking the P!ss.
    You say all that and expect us not to take the p!ss?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    The fish names above are brilliant. Shakedown and Bubbles had fish also and they (the fish) went through the same thing as Lionel mentioned.
    Actually, since this thread is kinda about pets.
    Don't laugh, but this is a serious question.
    We had another she-dog a few years ago called Pepsi and Bunty was always trying to climb up on her and forever trying to lick her h0le. It got to be very embarrassing when we had visitors so, eventually, we had to keep them in separate parts of the house and Pepsi was obviously straight since she got quite nasty at Bunty's approaches.
    Whenever any local mutt has got (male) into the back yard and tried to mount her she got vicious and snarled at him. Anytime a bitch comes near the house Bunty gets terribly excited and tries to get out to that dog.
    I'm dead serious so, please, no taking the P!ss.
    BTW Bunty is NOT a male, I checked.
    A lot of Dogs swing both ways from my observations over the years,we had a dog (he) who would hump the sofa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lionel I'm with ya here man, I feel your pain. My Goldfish Billy the Kid lost his battle with illness last week. I thought he'd died last new years eve and was just about to give up on him when i slapped him off my counter and he began moving again! so perhaps give that old remedy a go! he was five so I reckon it might just be a case of old age my friend!
    Eoin Mullen, Bohemians legend!

"You should always take good care of your cat" - Postman Pat, 1991

2005 - a great year for Irish football

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast