Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: McCarthy Names Ireland Squad

Neil

McCarthy Names Ireland Sqaud

Goalkeepers: Given (Newcastle), Kiely (Charlton), Kelly (Blackburn).

Defenders: Finnan (Fulham), Kelly (Leeds), Cunningham (Wimbledon), Breen (Coventry), Dunne (Man City), O'Brien (Newcastle), Staunton (Aston Villa), Harte (Leeds).

Midfielders: McAteer (Sunderland), Holland (Ipswich), Roy Keane (Man Utd), Kinsella (Charlton), Carsley (Everton), Kilbane (Sunderland), Kennedy (Wolves).

Forwards: Duff (Blackburn), Robbie Keane (Leeds), Quinn (Sunderland), Morrison (Crystal Palace), Connolly (Wimbledon).
    Last edited by Neil; 07/05/2002 at 10:54 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh dear oh dear

Lee Carsley, Lee Carsley!

What a shame that players like Healy and Reid stay at home while Lee Carsley goes to a World Cup.

Its a shame that McCarthy keeps faith with even his poor players.
    Oh no not them again

Neil
    Experience and reliability over youth. I think it's fair enough.

Carsley has been there throughout the last few years and even though it's obvious Healy is a better player (skill and technique wise) the World Cup isin't a place to be trying fellas out.

No matter what sqaud McCarthy announced some people would moan.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by Neil
    Experience and reliability over youth. I think it's fair enough.
    Agreed- but carsely is anything but reliable! HE's a complete liability.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think that Healy should be going instead of Carsley. It's all well and good, and indeed admirable to a degree, for McCarthy to take the players that have helped the team to qualify, but in all fairness Lee Carsley is not international standard (sorry Lee!). Also think of the experience Healy would gain from the tournament in preparation for 04, 06, etc.

is it possible that Ireland will have the two worst players at the Worlc Cup in Carsley and Connolly? Or am I being just a tad harsh?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by joe
    is it possible that Ireland will have the two worst players at the Worlc Cup in Carsley and Connolly? Or am I being just a tad harsh?
    being a tad KIND in my book. They're a pair of glory hunting brits who jumped on the easiest bandwagon they could get- the FAI'S "rent-a-brit" scheme.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Worst player?

They're not even the worst players in our group. Carsten Jancker just got picked by the Germans despite not scoring a goal all season! Every team will have its bad players, for example the French are considering taking Christian Karembeu who's a donkey of the highest order as far as I'm concerned. I'd agree that Carsley is useless, and personally I'd have taken Steven Reid instead, he's impressed me a lot.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Barring an injury disaster of Titanic proportions, Connolly or Carsley will not get a look in over in the Far East. Both though would be better players to come off the bench if that disaster materialised rather than an enthusiatic but inexperienced youngster. Reid and Healy are certainly going to prove much better players than Connolly and Carsley in the future, but McCarthy picked this squad for the month of June 2002 and not Euro 2004.
    Effenberg played like my grandmother!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Red face McCarthy too loyal

I'll leave connolly out of it for a minute...

Dear god why Carsley & Kennedy? Aside from the rest of the squad going down with food poisoning in what circumstances would McCarhty choose to play either player?

Carsley has indeed been part of the squad in qualifying but has only played 1 game. He is not international squad & all he ever seem to do is pass the ball backweards or sidewards occasionally. Carsley has not let ireland down because he never tries anything. I know someone will say hes a defensive midfielder but how come he never tackles then? Loyalty can only go so far.....

Kennedy must be Micks love child or something. Just cos he was good when sold to Liverpool for 2 million (when Mick the Milwall manager) does not mean he anything but an international waste now. The last time i remember Kennedy doing anything was a long range goal a few years ago at Lansdowne. He also is a liability & hopefully never sees the bench in japan. The fact hes been offloaded by a few 1st division clubs tells it all.

I think Reid is especially unlucky not to be in the squad considering hes played more international football than Carsley & Kennedy combined in the last year.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Worst player?

Originally posted by MikeW
    Every team will have its bad players, for example the French are considering taking Christian Karembeu who's a donkey of the highest order as far as I'm concerned.
    Karembeu is a good player- he's been with a few top clubs, and that doesn't happen by accident. He ´had a really good partnership with seedorf at Real a few years back- maybe he's a bit old now though.