Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: David Connolly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So it's acceptable if a player near the end of his career chooses not to play for his country.

That's an interesting view from someone who calls RK a traitor because he was sent home from the World Cup.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Ah stop yer shagging nit-picking will ya Any person in any career steps back a bit when they´re nearing the end of said career if they can. When someone has faithfully served their country for a long time (Irwin, Quinn, Staunton) they have the right to go out at the top.

There´s no need to bring bloody Roy Keane into this as well. For crying out loud- do you people actually do anything but talk all day about your beloved mancunian judas? If I started talking about womens under 12´s football in outer mongolia, you lot would find a way to tie it to why "poor roy" was shafted etc.

Right now, we´re talking about the squad for the game against Greece. Roy Keane isn´t in it. He may very well not be in the next one. Can we just forget about him until he decides whether to "lower" himself from his little castle in the sky and play for his country again?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Originally posted by Magoo
    no, i agree completely. IMO he should be going. I know that its a massive honour to play for Ireland. However, I dont like the double standards of dogging him out of it one day and demanding he be in the squad the next.
    Just beacuse i don't think Connolly is good enough for the oroginal squad doesn't mean he not good enough for 5th or 6th placed forward. Similarily I don't think Crowe is up to making our top 10 forwards but i think he shouldn't be ignored when we have injuries just cos he plays at home.

I don't think Given should necessarily have spoken to the press about his conversation with Connolly but the extracts about Connolly thinking he should be 1st choice irish forward are laughable.

Maybe he has matured but Connolly has displayed a petulant streak in the past.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Éanna
    Ah stop yer shagging nit-picking will ya Any person in any career steps back a bit when they´re nearing the end of said career if they can. When someone has faithfully served their country for a long time (Irwin, Quinn, Staunton) they have the right to go out at the top.

There´s no need to bring bloody Roy Keane into this as well. For crying out loud- do you people actually do anything but talk all day about your beloved mancunian judas? If I started talking about womens under 12´s football in outer mongolia, you lot would find a way to tie it to why "poor roy" was shafted etc.

Right now, we´re talking about the squad for the game against Greece. Roy Keane isn´t in it. He may very well not be in the next one. Can we just forget about him until he decides whether to "lower" himself from his little castle in the sky and play for his country again?
    here, here
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by pete

Just beacuse i don't think Connolly is good enough for the oroginal squad doesn't mean he not good enough for 5th or 6th placed forward.
    Fair enough, but he has a right to turn it down if HE sees fit
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're some man for double standards, every other post in the Cork section is from you trying to push your views about the manager. Any argument you don't like is put down as immature or not relevant.
    Try to take an objective viewpoint not related to the parochial football teams of England. I personally couldn't care less where a player earns his living. I'm only interested in their performances in a Green shirt, you seem to have a major hang-up about some teams in England. Cop yourself on and try reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Originally posted by Magoo

Fair enough, but he has a right to turn it down if HE sees fit
    I don't think he can complain about being left out again if he won't take up the opportunity he's given (no pun intended ).
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by Wizzard
    You're some man for double standards, every other post in the Cork section is from you trying to push your views about the manager. Any argument you don't like is put down as immature or not relevant.
    I have a hang-up? Have you made a single post on this site since june that hasn´t had the word Roy or Keane in it? So many of you Keanites are like single-issue election candidates- pontificating til there´s smoke coming out of yer ears about one thing and then silence on everything else, which god forbid, could actually be more important to the rest of the world. I´m not pushing my views on anyone- I reply to posts giving my opinion, as I (and everyone else on this board) have the right to do.

Originally posted by Wizzard
    Try to take an objective viewpoint not related to the parochial football teams of England.
    WHAT?! I couldn´t honestly give a flying **** about football teams in England (parochial or other) If you read any of my posts you´ll see that my only references to English clubs are to the Irish players who play there. I would rather that the Irish domestic league had some representatives in the Ireland squad, like just about every other country in the world, but when it comes to the Ireland squad, yes their performance is the key factor.

To be honest I´m a bit confused as to what you´re getting at in your post- is there a hidden gem of wisdom that only you can see in it?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Originally posted by Schumi
    I don't think he can complain about being left out again if he won't take up the opportunity he's given (no pun intended ).
    Exactely, you either available for selection of you're not (i.e. retired). IMO players do not have the right to pick & choose their international matches!
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    You know if i was Connolly, this would be my thinking...

"Calling me upto the squad cause of withdrawals, i'll show them... by playing and doing well"...

Could have shown Don Givens a lesson, whether he was technically even capable of that is another question!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by pete

Exactely, you either available for selection of you're not (i.e. retired). IMO players do not have the right to pick & choose their international matches!
    Connolly is not the only one doing it though

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by The Legend
    You know if i was Connolly, this would be my thinking...

"Calling me upto the squad cause of withdrawals, i'll show them... by playing and doing well"...
    Thats the way anyone who really wanted to play for their country would be thinking surely

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats the way anyone who really wanted to play for their country would be thinking surely
    Slight correction....

Thats the way anyone who really wanted to play for their country AND WAS FULLY FIT!!! would be thinking surely

That's not to suggest that I want the guy involved. He is unquestionably a sub-standard international striker. Having said that, we haven't hoardes of quality competing for the 4/5 squad places available for forward players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    719 Posts

West Ham sign David Connolly

West Ham signed Wimbledon striker David Connolly for a fee of £285,000. He has signed a three-year deal at Upton Park to become their first summer signing.

Connolly scored 42 goals in 63 league starts at Wimbledon over the last two seasons.

Source was Soccernet

I guess they had to replace Di Canio. He may not get his game there ahead of Kanoute and their young English striker (name eludes me for the moment). That can only be bad for us.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Defoe is the player you're thinking of - presume he wants away after handing in a transfer request the day after they went down.

If he can keep up his strike rate, there's no reason why he can't get his game. They should be up for promotion as well, as opposed to Wimbledon who were a mid-table side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    i think it's a very good move for him, better than reading anyway, he'll be playing with better players and has a genuine chance of going up with the hammers next season. I'd say Defoe will be gone and i'd reckon he'll link up well with Kanoute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    just saw that he went for 285,000stg. is that not a bit low for an international striker who's scored 41 goals in two seasons in the first division. three year deal though, so let's hope he gets up to the Premiership with them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I reckon its a good move.

He won't walk into the team at West Ham, and it'll be a real test of his credentials. If he can be a success there, it'll give him great confidence for the international team. If he isn't a success there, well frankly that suggests he isn't international quality anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Originally posted by tiktok
    just saw that he went for 285,000stg. is that not a bit low for an international striker who's scored 41 goals in two seasons in the first division?
    It would depend on how long was left on his Wimbledon contract. If it was his last year, Wimbledon would be more likely to accept a lower price knowing that he could leave for free at the end of the season.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Plus Wimbledon have to sell as they're in the ****s at the moment...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast