Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transport Plan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Transport Plan

The government announced their new 'Transport 21' plan. It sounds pretty impressive but I won't hold my breath - it is Fianna Fail after all.

What the country really needs is a motorway from Dublin to all the major cities. It took me 4 hours to drive from Dublin to Galway at the weekend. To do a journey of similar distance would take only 2 hours in most other European countries.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1101/transport.html

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It'll run over budget but sure the builders (AKA Fianna Fail) won't mind......
    Bye bye Stan. Go off back to collecting cones you useless git.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    The government announced their new 'Transport 21' plan. It sounds pretty impressive but I won't hold my breath - it is Fianna Fail after all.

What the country really needs is a motorway from Dublin to all the major cities. It took me 4 hours to drive from Dublin to Galway at the weekend. To do a journey of similar distance would take only 2 hours in most other European countries.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1101/transport.html
    The only 'motorway' needed in Ireland is between Belfast and Dublin. The roads between the rest of the cities in the country should be dual carriageways (or glorified 2-lane 'motorways', but no bigger). Alongside those, there should be reliable, frequent, quality rail services between the cities - removing a lot of the need for greater road capacity

Increasing road capacity has been shown the world over time and again to do nothing but create more traffic, with its associated problems. Ireland does need it's road infrastructure renewed/updated - but a country our size should be basing its transport planning on the likes of the Dutch (i.e. rail-lead), and not on the disastrous example set by the likes of the English (car-lead).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think the Motorway will eventually run to that brilliant roundabout in Cashel with the sign that says Waterford, Limerick, Cork, Dublin. I'm gonna drive to that roundabout some day and drive around in circles til i'm dizzy and just take a weekend in whatever exit i swing out on.

As for the plan, looks brilliant.

Its not pessimistic to hope for half of it to happen at double the cost.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    The only 'motorway' needed in Ireland is between Belfast and Dublin. The roads between the rest of the cities in the country should be dual carriageways (or glorified 2-lane 'motorways', but no bigger). Alongside those, there should be reliable, frequent, quality rail services between the cities - removing a lot of the need for greater road capacity

Increasing road capacity has been shown the world over time and again to do nothing but create more traffic, with its associated problems. Ireland does need it's road infrastructure renewed/updated - but a country our size should be basing its transport planning on the likes of the Dutch (i.e. rail-lead), and not on the disastrous example set by the likes of the English (car-lead).
    What i would do for a train that runs west from Belfast, that fecking Enniskillen express bus takes over 2 hours to get me home (journey would be 1 hour by car).

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    It's nothing but a padded out press release. Very little new, bar the pie in the sky Atlantic Highway. Christ they didn't even get the western rail corridor right (the most important bit short term is the bit into Galway).

Also loads of ppp's, which cost the tax payer far more in the long term. Road users paying on the tick for something the Government could build far cheaper if they went to the finance markets themselves, especially at current rates.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    At least Dual Carriageways, by passing all towns and villages on route. Have you tried getting down the country from Dublin on a Friday (or back up on a Sunday night)?

I agree about rail capacity, however, that only works properly if there are local transport services when you arrive.

As for the plan as a whole. Most of it was announced years ago. I mean how long ago was it Mary O'Rourke promised a metro to the airport? Cherrywood extension, and then onto Bray, first launched 2 years ago iirc.

All the roads paid on the tick by the users. ppp's are the worst kind of short termism by Goverments - the make no financial sense. It's like buying a house by high interest hire purchase agreement instead of taking a mortgage at mortgage rates. All because of an irrational fear of debt - it's okay if it's for capital projects ffs.

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    More Fekin Fails promises remember the “A lot done more to do” campaign before the last election? And don’t talk to me about crap roads I have to take the N3 home at weekends utter crap until you get past Kells .
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Agree to a point. And yes the Dutch have a fantastic railway infrastructure.

However I've driven in Holland and they also have a superb mortorway network too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Plans are great, FF do a lot of them but actually bringing in at budgetted cost is something they know nothing about & have no track record of.

I was looking at DUblin section of plan & amoung all the different colours its hard to see whats new in it. After a while its clear that there is very little new there & mostly focused on south side of the city again. Can anyone tell me why they have a metro through Abbotstown? i.e. underground.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Also agree with DCFC.

I think it's a blue-print for an even more car obsessed poorly and expensively serviced urban sprawl.

Mere lip service paid to the western rail link.

From my own Shannonside perspective -why a commuter rail link for Galway and Cork but NOT Limerick when Limerick has existing track structure on every approach to the city?

No light rail link to Shannon airport either which strongly suggests to me that this government is giving up on it.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    light rail link
    Being from Donegal I have to ask what is a rail link
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The main roads in the this country need to be at a minimum dualcarraigeway. This minimal addition would save countless lives every year.

This is a politically motivated "plan" with election in coming years. Its a typical "bit of everyone" type plan. Public-Private "Partnerships" are terrible idea - its what has caused the West Link Toll bridge in Dublin.

Bring back Rocketman!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Can anyone tell me why they have a metro through Abbotstown? i.e. underground.
    To service Bohs and Shels new ground.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    To service Bohs and Shels new ground.
    Shouldn't that be Balbriggan then?

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    ....e but I won't hold my breath - it is Fianna Fail after all.

Finna Failed indeed. The last plan was nothing short of a diaster. we got robbed and its still not finished. Half the stuff on the new plan probably will never see the light of day.

I just hope the METRO to swords gets built. It will me easier access (for foreign clubs )to Shelbourne F.C new home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    Fianna Failed
    You are not far wrong there !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Will this be like the "Dublin-Cork Motorway by 2008" plan?

Its easy for Bertie to say will come in at budget as he will be long gone by the time we find out the truth.

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hilarious plan. FF are just taking the pi$$ to see how many idiots fall for this nonsense. they have no intention of building this.
    national stadium how many millions spent and therel be no stadium, the ridiculous overspending on a 66% completed luas plan.
    this plan is absolute bull$hit.
    not a hope in hell it will get built

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Its easy for Bertie to say will come in at budget as he will be long gone by the time we find out the truth.
    Even easier when they won't tell us the fookin budget!?!?!?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast