Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Glenn Whelan

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Glenn Whelan

Watched a bit of the game last night between Wednesday and Brighton and saw that Glenn Whelan was the captain. Took me by surprise a little but he looks a decent passer and plays that holding role well. Not the epitomy of what a natural leader should be but maybe its a case of Sturrock letting him lead with his footbal ability. He probably doesn't have the physique yet to step up to the rigours of international football but there's definitely something for the future. I know he was highly thought of at City a couple of years ago and was then moved on, but to be captaining a team at 22 is no mean feat and can only bode well.

I know there are a few Wednesday fans on the site, so if they can shed more light that'd be sound
    Last edited by JoeSemi; 25/10/2005 at 11:57 AM.
    Mens sana in corpore sano

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSemi
    Watched a bit of the game last night between Wednesday and Brighton and saw that Glenn Whelan was the captain. Took me by surprise a little but he looks a decent passer and plays that holding role well. Not the epitomy of what a natural leader should be but maybe its a case of Sturrock letting him lead with his footbal ability. He probably doesn't have the physique yet to step up to the rigours of international football but there's definitely something for the future. I know he was highly thought of at City a couple of years ago and was then moved on, but to be captaining a team at 22 is no mean feat and can only bode well.

I know there are a few Wednesday fans on the site, so if they can shed more light that'd be sound
    Just to be pedantic, he's not 22 till January Joe . Watched bout 10mins of the match last night whilst doing a bit of work, hopefully Whelan keep improving as we're not blessed around the centre of the park. How did McShane fare over the 90mins?
    "In life, it aint about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep on moving forward"

Rocky Balboa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Im a wednesday fan and i rate him as our best player.As you saw last night hes passing is very good.He switches the play and brings defence into attack.I had the pleasure of meeting him in cyprus and talked to him for bout an hour.Hes extremely nice.Has no ego and it was like i was talking to a mate.I think he was just happy to see an irish owl.Hes very realistic.I asked him did he think hed be called up to the senior squad and he said that hes just a bit of that standard but he thinks this year will make him a better player.Hes a tall lad and well built.Hope to see him go on and do great things even if that does mean leave the wednesday in the future.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Vito
    Just to be pedantic, he's not 22 till January Joe . Watched bout 10mins of the match last night whilst doing a bit of work, hopefully Whelan keep improving as we're not blessed around the centre of the park. How did McShane fare over the 90mins?
    The age wasn't the issue Don so we won't try trip me up on something minor and 'pedantic', as you said!

McShane didn't really stand out apart from the strawberry blonde mop on his head. Although Brighton wouldn't be classed as masters of total football or anything, he still wasn't as assured on the ball as an up and coming United centre-half should be. Doesn't inspire great hope from what I've seen, but can't be judged on one game.
    Mens sana in corpore sano

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Owls
    Hope to see him go on and do great things even if that does mean leave the wednesday in the future.
    Not the words of a true blue. Can he not do great things at Hillsborough? Coughlan was outstanding as well. McShane looks a bit lightweight to be a centre half for me but as Eireboy says this topic is covered elsewhere.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Mc Shane wasn't great on Monday. I watched the match here in Brighton on Sky and he looked to be fairly slow which is not what we need in central defence. He was shockingly short of pace when challenging Peacock near the end.

Whelan looks okay but I don't think he'll ever be good enough to become a regular Ireland player as we have a number of far younger and more promising central midfielders coming through at the moment such as O'Brien, Ireland, Garvan and McCann.
    Last edited by youngirish; 27/10/2005 at 5:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish
    Whelan looks okay but I don't think he'll ever be good enough to become a regular Ireland player as we have a number of far younger and more promising central midfielders coming through at the moment such as O'Brien, Ireland, Garvan and McCann.
    The holding position is different to the supporting central midfield position so Ireland isn't even competing with Whelan for a place. Garvan is and O'Brien is to an extent. O'Brien can play the holding role but I think he's better box to box. McCann has started 2 games for Burnley and I don't know if he was holding. You've probably seen him play but I wouldn't say McCann has more potential just because he's younger.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am a true blue.But Wednesday could be i the championship for a long time from what ive seen.Sturrck is the man to sort wednesday out but know one wants to sign for us and we desperately need a striker.When i was taking to glen he Steven maclean was a fair bit off and maybe after xmas before he returns. But i have some optimism in a player called Drew Talbot who caught my eye in the play offs.Glenn said he isnt far off recovery.Hopefully the owls be in full flight again soon.Just in time to hammer the blades.