Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendance discussion

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If I recall correctly a crowd of 363 was posted as being the attendance at the Waterford United game. An average of around 683 for the season. That is DOWN on our relegation season of 2003 and that proves summer soccer has failed at UCD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    If I recall correctly a crowd of 363 was posted as being the attendance at the Waterford United game. An average of around 683 for the season. That is DOWN on our relegation season of 2003 and that proves summer soccer has failed at UCD.
    No it doesn't! It's barely down. Fact of the matter is, we draw our biggest crowds from other Dublin teams and they are all doing badly by their respective standards therefore bringing less fans. Also a game against a Waterford in desperate trouble on a Monday night is going to dent the average too. Our season has descended into a relatively meaningless affair with niether relegation or Europe possible. That's probably going to dent the home support a bit too. I think we'd be getting the same crowds in summer or winter soccer.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    No it doesn't! It's barely down. Fact of the matter is, we draw our biggest crowds from other Dublin teams and they are all doing badly by their respective standards therefore bringing less fans. Also a game against a Waterford in desperate trouble on a Monday night is going to dent the average too. Our season has descended into a relatively meaningless affair with niether relegation or Europe possible. That's probably going to dent the home support a bit too. I think we'd be getting the same crowds in summer or winter soccer.
    Poor Student

We were bottom the entire 2003 season.. how can you not see that we have a problem?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Afraid Poor Student's correct...

1) Those 2003 attendances were overstated. Everyone was down by about 20% the next season.
    2) The crowds for the country games are up. You know as well as I do that we've had crowds under 200 for some games in the past. Now 363 on a Monday evening in a poorly-publicised game is bad?
    3) The crowds for the Dublin derbies are down, primarily because Bohs, Pat's and Rovers in particular (Shels to a lesser extent) are struggling this year.
    4) We have two more home games to come - both Dublin derbies
    5) The 2003 season saw us play everyone twice at home. That equated to 18 home games, eight of which were Dublin derbies. Now we have 16 home games, six of which are Dublin derbies.

A simple look around our home and local away games shows that support is growing. It's still very small, but it's growing nonetheless.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Pineapple student

So the 2003 crowds were overstated.
    But if that is the case your point 3) makes my case for me.
    If Dublin Derbies attendances are lower because the clubs are bringing fewer travelling supporters, our averages have to be down because we play so many of those games at home each season in the Premier.
    Our own core support may well be on a slight increase, but the overall attendances given falling away supporters attending could still be down.

Surely average crowds would not be affected as much by the number of games per se as the actual number of punters attending them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Our own core support may well be on a slight increase, but the overall attendances given falling away supporters attending could still be down.
    I reckon this is possible, but then there's not a lot we can do about the away support (outside of not increasing ticket prices 50%). It's the home support we have to concentrate on. If our home support is up, you can't really conclude that summer soccer has failed for UCD.

Surely average crowds would not be affected as much by the number of games per se as the actual number of punters attending them?
    The point is that we've a much lower proportion of Dublin derbies this yaer compared to 2003. There's usually a big difference between our crowds for those games and for the other games.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    I reckon this is possible, but then there's not a lot we can do about the away support (outside of not increasing ticket prices 50%). It's the home support we have to concentrate on. If our home support is up, you can't really conclude that summer soccer has failed for UCD.
    Given that home teams keep 100% of gate receipts I think we can
    Cause at the end of the day the bottom line figure is reduced!

IThe point is that we've a much lower proportion of Dublin derbies this yaer compared to 2003. There's usually a big difference between our crowds for those games and for the other games.
    We have only 2 fewer home games this season over 2003 and have been by and large a bit more successful this season, with our League Cup run and reaching the last eight of the FAI Cup !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Given that home teams keep 100% of gate receipts I think we can. Cause at the end of the day the bottom line figure is reduced!
    You can look at it two ways, I suppose. There's that way, and there's looking to improve the UCD support. A team's average crowd doesn't indicate its support. I'd be happy with our crowds this season - even though they may be down a bit - because there are a fair few more UCD jerseys/scarves in the ground now. I don't really see how you can use this to imply that summer soccer has failed us. If anything has failed us (from a gate receipts point of view), it's the big 4 Dublin clubs all being on a bit of a slide.

We have only 2 fewer home games this season over 2003 and have been by and large a bit more successful this season, with our League Cup run and reaching the last eight of the FAI Cup !
    Cup games aren't included. If we have a smaller percentage of Dublin home games - 38% compared to 44% - then our attendance figure is going to drop.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You can look at it two ways, I suppose. There's that way, and there's looking to improve the UCD support. A team's average crowd doesn't indicate its support. I'd be happy with our crowds this season - even though they may be down a bit - because there are a fair few more UCD jerseys/scarves in the ground now. .
    That's partly because the shop is kept open during the game more often than was the case before.....

I don't really see how you can use this to imply that summer soccer has failed us. If anything has failed us (from a gate receipts point of view), it's the big 4 Dublin clubs all being on a bit of a slide..
    Summer soccer has failed all the Dublin clubs in fact it has failed everyone this season bar Cork City and Derry City because all clubs bar those two seem to have experienced a drop in support.

Cup games aren't included. If we have a smaller percentage of Dublin home games - 38% compared to 44% - then our attendance figure is going to drop..
    Well without wishing to put a damper on things... no Dublin clubs won the League of Ireland championship between 1967 and 1974 and the crowds plummeted not just in Dublin but in the League as a whole. There were a number of other factors at play here too such as UTV and HTV being widely available showing the Big Match highlights show on Sunday afternoons etc, but the lack of success experienced by Dublin Clubs was also a factor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Summer soccer has failed all the Dublin clubs in fact it has failed everyone this season bar Cork City and Derry City because all clubs bar those two seem to have experienced a drop in support.
    C'mon CTID, isn't there an obvious reason for that? Who occupies the top two spots and are the only two teams who can win the title? Cork and Derry! Shels are doing far worse than expected this season and are not the storngest supported club. Bohs are doing awful except for a flourishing period in the middle of the season. Add pack Rovers points and they are doing average in what has been a bleak season for them with the deduction. Pats are doing awful and getting worse as the season goes by. Apart from Shels this is the 2nd successive disappointing season for these clubs.

I'd consider us more likely to be drawing crowds if we had a few less points actually. Following being knocked out of both cups our season has petered out into meaningless mid table mediocrety. Also consider how strongly we finished in our last season in the premier. We've had not one sustained period of exciting form in the league this season. I'd venture to say summer soccer has had next to no negative effect on our crowds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Drumcondra won the League for the last time in 1965 and it wasnt for another 10 years that another Dublin club won the League, Bohs in '75.

But its true with what you said, the crowds did begin to plummet during this period but only from the mid 70's onwards.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    C'mon CTID, isn't there an obvious reason for that? Who occupies the top two spots and are the only two teams who can win the title? Cork and Derry! Shels are doing far worse than expected this season and are not the storngest supported club. Bohs are doing awful except for a flourishing period in the middle of the season. Add pack Rovers points and they are doing average in what has been a bleak season for them with the deduction. Pats are doing awful and getting worse as the season goes by. Apart from Shels this is the 2nd successive disappointing season for these clubs.

I'd consider us more likely to be drawing crowds if we had a few less points actually. Following being knocked out of both cups our season has petered out into meaningless mid table mediocrety. Also consider how strongly we finished in our last season in the premier. We've had not one sustained period of exciting form in the league this season. I'd venture to say summer soccer has had next to no negative effect on our crowds.
    Well let's face it Derry's crowds had gone down so far the only way was up. Cork are suddenly attracting 200,000 to all their home games...

Some of your crowds this season have been worryingly small, especially at a time when the club was on it's knees cashflow wise. It was touch and go whether Blues would survive and there seemed to be apathy among some of the Blaa eating faithful as to whether ye had an EL club or not. Which I have to say as someone who has a grá for the city and the club was disappointing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    all clubs bar those two [Cork and Derry] seem to have experienced a drop in support.
    Even though the attendances thread here shows (a) the league average compared to 2004 is up about 3 people and (b) Cork are down 15% on last year? (Granted, due to having official attendances now, but you certainly can't assume that Cork are up this year).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    An average of around 683 for the season. That is DOWN on our relegation season of 2003 and that proves summer soccer has failed at UCD.
    A bit misleading. Our remaining two games are against Dublin clubs. If you assume crowds of 1000 for each of those (around the figure for the corresponding games earlier in the season, probably more than that if anything), you get an average of 722 which is a bit healthier.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    CTID you are really gonna have to let this go. Summer soccer has NOT failed all the Dublin clubs. Where is the evidence? As was pointed out elsewhere bar Shels the 3 other Dublin clubs are having awful seasons.

I go to all Rovers games home and away and granted while there has not been a huge increase there has not been a decrease either in attendances.

I would equate anyone who wants to go back to the bad old days as being equal to our old board. Heads in the sand living in a dream world.

Do you really want to go back to going to games in the winter with all that entails? The mind numbing cold, ****ing rain, games called off all over the place.

Do you really want to go back to Irish sides getting hammered in the qualifying stages of European competitions?

We give the league administrators dogs abuse and deservedly so but their decision to move to summer football was the best thing ever to happen the league. We need to move on and keep improving with better facililties, better tv coverage, better marketing and with that the attendances will increase.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop
    bar Shels the 3 other Dublin clubs are having awful seasons.
    Shels too by recent standards.

Agree with the rest. Even if our crowds are marginally down, the memories of freezing Bray-like conditions from winter seasons are enough to keep the season as it is.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop
    CTID you are really gonna have to let this go. Summer soccer has NOT failed all the Dublin clubs. Where is the evidence? As was pointed out elsewhere bar Shels the 3 other Dublin clubs are having awful seasons.

I go to all Rovers games home and away and granted while there has not been a huge increase there has not been a decrease either in attendances.

I would equate anyone who wants to go back to the bad old days as being equal to our old board. Heads in the sand living in a dream world.

Do you really want to go back to going to games in the winter with all that entails? The mind numbing cold, ****ing rain, games called off all over the place.

Do you really want to go back to Irish sides getting hammered in the qualifying stages of European competitions?

We give the league administrators dogs abuse and deservedly so but their decision to move to summer football was the best thing ever to happen the league. We need to move on and keep improving with better facililties, better tv coverage, better marketing and with that the attendances will increase.

KOH

You can still get p***ed on in the height of summer here. Where this myth about good weather in Ireland came from I don't know!
    As regards performances in Europe Longford still got hammered this year didn't they?
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 24/10/2005 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You can still get p***ed on in the height of summer here. Where this myth about good weather in Ireland came from I don't know!
    As regards performances in Europe Longford still got hammered this year didn't they?
    You need to take averages and probability into account. You are less likely to get rained on in summer (and when you do it's still warmer). Longford were less likely to get hammered (which makes their hammering that much worse).

Attendances are about the same. You're splitting hairs arguing over numbers of Dublin clubs etc...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet
    You need to take averages and probability into account. You are less likely to get rained on in summer (and when you do it's still warmer). Longford were less likely to get hammered (which makes their hammering that much worse).

Attendances are about the same. You're splitting hairs arguing over numbers of Dublin clubs etc...
    If all the stadia in this country were all seater and all roofed over, some wusses would still make excuses for not attending EL games. Basically the idea that Ireland is a great nation of real football supporters is a myth. The relative lack of support that teams get here particularly in the First Division bears that out.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi
    Shels too by recent standards.

Agree with the rest. Even if our crowds are marginally down, the memories of freezing Bray-like conditions from winter seasons are enough to keep the season as it is.
    Schumi

The Carlisle is freezing even when the rest of the country is enjoying a heatwave, another place you can freeze is the Jodi Stand in Dalyer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast