Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would LOI players have made an impact?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would LOI players have made an impact?

if kerr did pick a few loi players would they of made an inpact in helping the national squad? we see doyle doing well with reading, how about o flynn on the squad? or would crowe made an inpact? with the "talent" that was on display vs cyprus and the swiss i dont think a loi player would of done that bad!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    No eircom league player at the moment would have helped us qualify for the world cup
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    would an Eircom league selection that were training together for a few months beat the current irish team....i think so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    We had no creatitvity at all in the centre of the park. I think George O'Callaghan or Wes Hoolahan would have done a decent job in there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In a word....yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sean
    if kerr did pick a few loi players would they of made an inpact in helping the national squad? we see doyle doing well with reading, how about o flynn on the squad? or would crowe made an inpact? with the "talent" that was on display vs cyprus and the swiss i dont think a loi player would of done that bad!!
    Not a chance and whoever thinks otherwise is fooling themselves
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stars
    would an Eircom league selection that were training together for a few months beat the current irish team....i think so.
    If you think that a team of players from one of the low ranking leagues in Europe would beat an international side which has only lost one competitive match in the last two years (thanks to a wonder-goal from one of the world's best players) then maybe you should think again.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Wes h(shels), Kevin Doyle (Reading but was just as good with cork city) ,Jason Byrne (shels) would of well made the senior Squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The way I look at it is if Gary Doherty can play for Ireland so can anyone.

If Doyle can get a call up there is no reason why Wes Hoolahan, Jason Byrne and George O'Callaghan can't get a call up.
    2006 predictions:

Premier Division - 1. Shelbourne, 2. Cork City, 3. Derry City, 12. Bohemians.

1st Division - 8. Shamrock Rovers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by junkie
    The way I look at it is if Gary Doherty can play for Ireland so can anyone.

If Doyle can get a call up there is no reason why Wes Hoolahan, Jason Byrne and George O'Callaghan can't get a call up.
    Maybe not Georgie (hate saying it) but the others definitely yes ..... And anyone that is saying this is believing the hype ..... DONT believe the hype ... The lads would play for the shirt and no matter how much anyone tries to convince me there is a huge gulf in difference, i wont believe them. I would put money on it that those three players above would show their worth.

I would be more prepared to say otherwise, if it wasn't so evident how bad some of the Irish squad are right now. I ma not saying that they are world beaters, not at all ... but right now, they might have been better options.

The argument against doesn't stand a chance really ... considering the last few games ... give it up lads !!
    Last edited by A face; 16/10/2005 at 10:13 PM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    I would put money on it that those three players above would shoe their worth.
    They probably would shoe it, that's why they wouldn't make the squad
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Compare and contrast, Wes Hoolahan in Europe for Shels, especially against Deportivo, and some of the dross Kerr picked at international level against weaker opposition. There's your answer.

Same goes for Heary btw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    They probably would shoe it, that's why they wouldn't make the squad
    Carry on, that inferiority complex will get you places !!

When Flynnie was on form, before his injury .... i would have included him aswell, Flynnie and Doyler have played over two years at City and i have seen some unreal vision and skill from them both.

They would do well in the Irish squad ... i agree if players aren't up to the standard, they shouldn't get on the senior team .... but when we DO have players who could get on it, we dont need every fúcker in the league saying they shouldn't (imo opinion) following what half the two-bit hacks and crumby panelists say. I would have a bit of faith in their ablility and not look to undermine any chance they would have

Who can say that Matt Holland, the other night would have been a better option than Wes Houlhan !?!?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Compare and contrast, Wes Hoolahan in Europe for Shels, especially against Deportivo, and some of the dross Kerr picked at international level against weaker opposition. There's your answer.
    Fúck it .... you beat me to it !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    And what is worse is you'd have guys on here trying to convince you that you are wrong .... un-fúcking-real !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    334 Posts
    The only way we will ever really know is if they are given a chance. The freindlies over the next year should be used to try as many players as possible. The like of Doyle, Kelly, Ireland etc... I would also include some el players too after all what have Ireland to lose except a meaningless friendly. We haven't much strength in depth so lets try anyone who has the potential regardless of what league/country they play in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    true , although i dont buy into the theory that the eL lads would try any harder than their foreign league equivalents

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    If you think that a team of players from one of the low ranking leagues in Europe would beat an international side which has only lost one competitive match in the last two years (thanks to a wonder-goal from one of the world's best players) then maybe you should think again.
    Sean didn't ask for a team or selection of players coming en-masse in to the side. He asked if a few players would make an impact, namely 3.

So long as Irish International bosses have a persecution complex about our league, nobody based here will be considered until we run out of players from England, which looks like it will happen sooner rather than later.

Playing the elite players in our league, on a staggered basis, will not upset the balance of the side. You can play one NL player in a friendly and see how they adapt. If they don't, well at least they had their chance anyway. Nobody is calling for a shedload of NL players bursting into the side of a sudden. It can happen, if it is introduced gradually. If x player impresses, he can continue to be selected. If he continues to impress, he can be considered to play in competitive games. Soon afterwards, he will be with an English club. With relatively few players available, only the ignorant people towards our league can disagree that, that way is the way forward for the national side in the long term. We are eventually going to have to turn to NL players to play international football, it's better to do it on a gradual basis, so they can adjust to the team and set-up with the side suffering minimal disruption, rather than suddenly throw 5 or 6 players to the wolves in a few years time, and with us losing many games as a result.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think Danny Murphy would do as good as O'Shea or Harte at left back. There are a few keepers like Devine (lots of experience) definitely good enough for the 3rd keeper position.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    Sean didn't ask for a team or selection of players coming en-masse in to the side. He asked if a few players would make an impact, namely 3.
    I was answering this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast