Thread: Euro Draw - Friday 27th

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would take any of these scenarios

Pot 1

Greece or
    Czech Republic (I dont think they are as good as they were and they have an ageing team in my view)

Pot 2

Poland
    Romania

Pot 3

Norway
    Bulgaria

Slovakia

Pot 5

I think they are all a bit of a much of a muchness in this pot.
    Hungary
    Finland
    Estonia
    Wales
    Lithuania
    Albania
    Iceland

Pot 6

Armenia

Pot 7

Luxembourg
    San Marino
    In Trap we trust

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Czech Republic (I dont think they are as good as they were and they have an ageing team in my view)
    Interesting...Another team with a superb record in qualifying in recent years...will be looking to avoid them myself! Good trip though.

Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    True, but only if we don't get them in the draw. Then the comparison is relevant.
    Eh, no. This is about which team you would rather draw - Sweden or Greece. How good Ireland are has nothing to do with it.

Going on your logic, I take it you regard France's WC win in '98 as a one-off too.
    Eh, no. Again. I don't know how you define a one-off. They were one of the favourites for the tournament, had won a major tournament before, have done so since, generally qualify and generally do well when they qualify. Greece, however, were in one major tournament ever that I can think of (1994 World Cup), so it was quite clearly a one-off.

[QUOTE=Well, some people regard a comprehensive 3 or 4 goal beating as a sound walloping. Maybe you don't.[/QUOTE]
    Of course I do. See eirebhoy's post.

Incidentally, you bring up Greece's last trip to Dublin as an example of why Greece are better than Sweden. Should I bring up our last meeting - in Greece in 2002, with Greece in the middle of qualifying for the tournament they would win. With Ireland managed by the person generally considered to be the worst Ireland manager at any level in a long time (Givens), with a threadbare squad necessitating the first eL player (Crowe) to start for Ireland in 20 years and with another (Hoolihan) on the bench, Ireland secured a quite comfortable 0-0 draw. Ireland, incidentally, have never won in Sweden - even when we were both rubbish.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled - with everyone else, it seems - to rubbish it. Neither opinion matters a hoot when the draw's made, so there's no point continuing this argument. But I for one won't be scared of the nasty, noisy, past-it Greeks.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    On a separate note while I think about it - Lawrie Sanchez was on BBC there sayiing how he'd love to get Ireland in the draw and play in Croker...don't know if he quite knows what he's saying!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    The draw procedure has been announced for the UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifying competition draw in Montreux, Switzerland on 27 January at 12.00CET.
    What time is this Irish time and anyone know what site will have the draw live?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boysingreen
    What time is this Irish time and anyone know what site will have the draw live?
    CET (central european time) is an hour ahead of us so the draw is at 11.00 our time.

UEFA.com would be the best for the draw. You just sit there looking at the teams being grouped together on your screen.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Great heh. I'm in Connecticut so guess I'll be setting the alarm for 6am. Not gonna like the nerves that go with a draw at that hour of the morning

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boysingreen
    Great heh. I'm in Connecticut so guess I'll be setting the alarm for 6am. Not gonna like the nerves that go with a draw at that hour of the morning
    Well the ceremony starts at 11am God only knows when they'll actually start taking the balls out of the bowl!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Who is UEFA employing to tickle the balls before pulling the balls??
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    This is about which team you would rather draw - Sweden or Greece. How good Ireland are has nothing to do with it.
    I'm afraid it has everything to do with it. By even suggesting teams that you want in the draw, it automatically implies it is so, because you feel that we would fare best against those teams. So yes, Ireland has everything to do with it.

[France] generally do well when they qualify. Greece, however, were quite clearly a one-off.
    France of course do well when they qualify. All the tournaments they have staged and qualified for, has yielded only 1 WC, and a couple of Euro wins. France will never forget their last World Cup adventure of course. Out first round. They will also remember how "well" they did in their last European Championship adventure, where they were knocked out by....you'll never guess....Greece!!!

Greece are European Champions, and will walkover an Irish team in decline with an out-of-his-depth boss should we meet them in the next campaign, as will Poland if the situation arises.

Should I bring up our last meeting - in Greece, with Greece in the middle of qualifying for the tournament they would win. Ireland, with a threadbare squad necessitating the first eL player to start for Ireland in 20 years...
    Actually, Crowe earned his call-up, and didn't disappoint either. Other more senior players couldn't be bothered turning up, citing "injuries". That excuse always surfaces when we play away friendlies.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Of the #1 seeds I think the teams I would least want are Sweden or Czech Republic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Greece are European Champions, and will walkover an Irish team in decline with an out-of-his-depth boss should we meet them in the next campaign, as will Poland if the situation arises.
    Poland probably would walk all over us as they have proven they can do that, Greece haven't. Greece don't do thumpings and they would not beat us by a big margin. We might find it hard to beat them but its in our hands if they came to Dublin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=pineapple stu]Interesting...Another team with a superb record in qualifying in recent years...will be looking to avoid them myself! Good trip though.

They do have a fantastic qualifying record For the Euro's but not for the World Cup. This is their first ever World Cup that they are qualifying. I just think a lot of their main players are coming to the end and will retire after the World Cup. It has been this squad that has earned them their 1st seed place. The Czechs are not like Italy, England Spain, Germany etc who always will have very good teams. They are a smaller country with a smaller pool of players so they will have cycles to a certain extent. I just think out of the Top seeds, Greece stand out as the easier of the top seeds to draw but after that I would like the Czech Rep, both for the trip and also I dont think they will be as good as they were. But I dont think it would be easy.
    In Trap we trust

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Poland probably would walk all over us as they have proven they can do that, Greece haven't. Greece don't do thumpings and they would not beat us by a big margin. We might find it hard to beat them but its in our hands if they came to Dublin.
    Walk all over us?? No chance. How have they proven that?? Those days are gone. They struggled to beat the north at home in the WC qualifiers. Having been out there for the friendly I wouldnt fear them and hope we get them again.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop
    Walk all over us?? No chance. How have they proven that?? Those days are gone. They struggled to beat the north at home in the WC qualifiers. Having been out there for the friendly I wouldnt fear them and hope we get them again.

KOH
    mypost said Greece and Poland would walk all over us. Greece most definitely wouldn't as they don't do thumpings. Poland recently beat Azerbaijan 8-0, they proved they can score. They beat Ecuador 3-0 in Spain a couple of months ago too, Ecuador came 3rd in the S.America qualifiers (Brazil and Argentina only ahead of them). Poland can beat thems heavily, Greece don't seem to be able to. That's all I'm saying. BTW, the team they put out in the friendly against us is a different team to the current one. In fact, only 3 players that played against us that day played against England in their last competitive.

If we were drawn against Poland I'd give us both an equal chance of qualification, I was talking about Greece not having the ability to "walk all over" other teams.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    mypost said Greece and Poland would walk all over us. Greece most definitely wouldn't as they don't do thumpings. Poland recently beat Azerbaijan 8-0, they proved they can score. They beat Ecuador 3-0 in Spain a couple of months ago too, Ecuador came 3rd in the S.America qualifiers (Brazil and Argentina only ahead of them). Poland can beat thems heavily, Greece don't seem to be able to. That's all I'm saying. BTW, the team they put out in the friendly against us is a different team to the current one. In fact, only 3 players that played against us that day played against England in their last competitive.

If we were drawn against Poland I'd give us both an equal chance of qualification, I was talking about Greece not having the ability to "walk all over" other teams.
    Ah wouldnt read to much into what mypost posts. The days of us getting thumped are over. Last time was Portugal in 95 and Denmark in 85.

Kazhakstan sounds fun!

KOH

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345